Share your odd bd videos

Sophia Maria

Found this while browsing Omar Khorshid on youtube...move over, Sound of Music!

[video=youtube;ZdIM-9wIYlE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdIM-9wIYlE[/video]

Jane

Sophia Maria that is an absolute classic! I can't tell you how gloriously awesome that was. I must share this! :clap:

P.S. Is Ajam the same as C major?

Safran

I was just expecting a cover of the song, but that was a 100% Arabic version of it, down to the ending chords :lol::lol::lol:

Ariadne

I think this might barely qualify, it's definitely odd enough.
[video=youtube;H8uS-YQo658]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8uS-YQo658[/video]
And they went to the trouble of making the bull anatomically correct...

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Cute Bull, good that they had nice weather so the gold didn't wash off the bull:lol::lol: ;)
~Mosaic

Amulya

That dancing, what was that? :shok: the movements looked like just random things thrown together. Could just be Harlem Shake dancing (in case you haven't seen the latest YouTube craze yet, it's some weird hype where people just start to dance randomly)

Jane

It's political commentary, not belly dance. I'm sure not everyone in the crowd can tell the difference, which is unfortunate.

Duvet

It's political commentary, not belly dance. I'm sure not everyone in the crowd can tell the difference, which is unfortunate.

I noticed the dollar signs on their head gear, and kind of got the impression that the Israelites worship of the golden calf is a parallel to the modern worship of Mammon, with similar disastrous results predicted. But why were they dressed as ancient Egyptians and modern bellydancers? That bit lost me.

Jane

I'm betting one or two of them are belly dancers or students and did the choreography and provided costume elements as "Middle Eastern-esque theater."

Ariadne

I sure they can't considering that the few news agencies who didn't just re-post the original article, which referred to it only as "dance", either used "belly dance" in the title or in quotes in the body. :naghty:

The description posted with the video.

"On May 1 2013, Occupy Portland dragged an idol of a Golden Bull down to O'Bryant Square. Dressed as Egyptian belly dancers they then proceeded to sing and dance about it."

Evidently the guy was in a little shock at what he was watching.
Evidently that is also what the fashionable Egyptian Belly Dancer is wearing these days, who knew? :wall:

Can I protest the protestors?

Darshiva

And this is why you take the time to make or buy a costume. Pulling stuff out of your wardrobe & pairing it with a hipscarf is fine for class, but not for public.

It's a pity, they spent a lot of time & effort on the bull. They should have put the same effort into costuming.

Jane

[video=youtube;qNGFNO5I4fg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNGFNO5I4fg[/video]

Awesome and clever. Still qualifies as odd :D

Roshanna

I just found this; I don't think it's been posted yet...

I started watching it and was confused. Then I was a bit less confused; I thought, "Aha! Whew! It's just fusion!" Then the second song began, and I was very confused. My kitten started watching it with me; he too was confused...but he has a brain the size of a pingpong ball, so many things confuse him.

Can someone please explain what is going on here? Is this actually quite normal, and insomnia is playing tricks on me? Why are these things being fused?

(And why can't I figure out embedding at 2 am?)

I was chatting to my teacher yesterday, and it turns out she was there when this was performed (At the Bellyfusions festival in France a couple of years ago). She said it was intended as a comedy dance, and the audience found it absolutely hilarious. It is possible that French humour does not translate well to the rest of the world...

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I was chatting to my teacher yesterday, and it turns out she was there when this was performed (At the Bellyfusions festival in France a couple of years ago). She said it was intended as a comedy dance, and the audience found it absolutely hilarious. It is possible that French humour does not translate well to the rest of the world...

It looks to me like they were tring to incoporate movements from a ton of different styles of dance? Overall I am confused without the extra context for this to make sense.