Thought Provoking Belly Dance Costumes: the good, the bad and the hideous

Greek Bonfire

Hmmmm... I've used many an "orphan" earring as costume embellishment, but never "there". In fact, my very first costume vest had a pair of tassels "there". I removed them...

Necklaces as belly drapes are as old as the dance - some work better than others...

These are pretty much about as tacky as you can get bra-wise.

Greek Bonfire

Oh I've seen boob lights! Trashy, tacky and very laughable!! But the worst was the one with the big eyes on each boob and then in the triangular lower area! I wish I could find that video. It was a big hit for a laugh on Bhuz.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Oh I've seen boob lights! Trashy, tacky and very laughable!! But the worst was the one with the big eyes on each boob and then in the triangular lower area! I wish I could find that video. It was a big hit for a laugh on Bhuz.
I remember that one.

Amulya

I must have seen it back in the day, but can’t remember. That is probably for the best!

Ariadne

The one I could not upload:

I believe her costume is covered in palettes? They're a lightweight replacement for coins and I've seen them used to very nice effect before. I can't tell if this is one or not though because with the wings she's flung some part of her costume over her arm and I have no idea what it is...

Amulya

I believe her costume is covered in palettes? They're a lightweight replacement for coins and I've seen them used to very nice effect before. I can't tell if this is one or not though because with the wings she's flung some part of her costume over her arm and I have no idea what it is...

the right arm has strings covered with the same big sequins and they are hanging in a loop off the arm. It is indeed very hard to see.
I would prefer smaller sequins for this effect, you know those small Egyptian metal coins on hip scarves, that size would be nicer. Or those coins, I absolutely love them. I was obsessed with them as kid, a family friend had a pile of them from a wedding and I was always looking at them. They are very light weight too. And make a lovely sound. But the sequins glitter more of course.

Tourbeau

WRT the crazy face costume, weren't there big eyelashes, too? I sort of remember it, but not well enough to find it yesterday...but then maybe it's been taken down.

Paillettes are light and cheap and you can cover a lot more ground with less work than small sequins. This makes them a better choice for a lightweight knit fabric, where beading on a huge quantity of small sequins (to say nothing of heavier coins) is an invitation to weird stretching and puckering, but paillettes have their own disadvantages.

I've had paillettes warp after getting wet, and the lower quality ones can lose color (or even their finish entirely) from abrasion or exposure to sweat/perfume/makeup/moisture. But they do glitter and flutter nicely with a soft rustling sound....

Greek Bonfire

I came across this as being depicted "sexy bellydancer" and while the costume is okay, the boobage is a hot mess.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2098.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2098.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 10

Amulya

I came across this as being depicted "sexy bellydancer" and while the costume is okay, the boobage is a hot mess.

I feel sorry for the boobage, they are trying to escape! That tattoo placement unfortunately looks like a big scar from a distance

I found some new stuff, a very ‘festive’ summery sunflower costume with the flowers placed in an not so good way. And a green one where the triangle gives an impression of a certain body part

Attachments

• 0C576C63-4B91-44A0-8BCA-C4C3BD26FDAC.jpeg
    0C576C63-4B91-44A0-8BCA-C4C3BD26FDAC.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 5
  • A7C3D40E-EDAD-49C5-854F-0E68F29F8123.jpeg
    A7C3D40E-EDAD-49C5-854F-0E68F29F8123.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 9E326F51-8BC8-4E78-875E-70D585D6D0F2.jpeg
    9E326F51-8BC8-4E78-875E-70D585D6D0F2.jpeg
    847 KB · Views: 7
  • 71BEA79C-FF0B-432A-8378-0C9007595D07.jpeg
    71BEA79C-FF0B-432A-8378-0C9007595D07.jpeg
    687.9 KB · Views: 7

Amulya

That golden bra is probably something a lot of people like, but I don’t. The next picture was being sold as belly dance belts, I’m pretty sure they are cheap necklaces but you can maybe use elements from them on a costume? And the last they were also trying to sell as belts, I see that more as a trim for a tribal costume

Attachments

• EB5F55A5-D943-4F19-B646-B0C8AA944C9C.jpeg
    EB5F55A5-D943-4F19-B646-B0C8AA944C9C.jpeg
    914.3 KB · Views: 7
  • D0E54AF2-B67F-4728-BD42-B14B199CF446.jpeg
    D0E54AF2-B67F-4728-BD42-B14B199CF446.jpeg
    368.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 6CC0F8F8-70E4-4B39-80BC-13DDAD005EF4.jpeg
    6CC0F8F8-70E4-4B39-80BC-13DDAD005EF4.jpeg
    717.6 KB · Views: 7

Greek Bonfire

I saw some of these on the Facebook swap pages. Some of those "belts" appeal to those who want to fuse just about anything. To each their own but not my thang. And that red tattoo does look like blood.