I went to Yaa Halla and I saw...

Norma

Rachel Brice, Aziza, Virginia, Amir Thaleb and Issam perform Friday night. It rocked!!!

I also attended workshops with Rachel and Issam. It was the best weekend ever...

Alaya

You the luckest person I know.I wish I could join their workshops. It is a dreame for now. LOve, Alaya

Viv

I got back from Ya Halla yesterday and my head is still spinning along with pretty much every muscle in my body...LOL!!! I didn't know anyone else from the forum here would be there or I would have suggested we meet somewhere to say HI in person and put a face and name together.
All the instructors were amazing, and Rachel Brice gave me a faboo compliment when I came off stage after dancing Friday night that had me on cloud nine all weekend. That was the first time I had ever been complimented on my dancing by another dancer besides my fellow troupe members and students.
Which workshop with Issam did you take? I took the beginning one first thing Saturday morning. Yep I'm rambling here since I should be getting ready for classes and not on the net but I wanted to make a quick peek in here and see what I had to catch up on. (Nope not addicted to this place at all....LOL)

Norma

I was in Issam's beginning workshop, too! (In the far back corner next to the guy with the purple drum.) We probably saw each other. How funny. And if you danced Friday night, then I saw you. You'll have to remind me of your performance, though, because it's all a blur now. lol

Let's see...more details...in Rachel's workshop, we spent the whole first half sitting on the floor doing rib isolations and chest lifts. She says if you're sitting you can't use your bottom half to cheat. It was really hard and I am still sore from that. I didn't know I had muscles in those places...ha ha. During the second half she taught us a combination that included rib circles, the sidewinder thing she does, mayas, bellyrolls up and down and chest lifts. She also threw in some yoga and push-ups. PUSH-UPS, I TELL YOU! It was a blast, but it was also the hardest thing I've ever done. There were quite a few dancers who weren't able to finish.

Issam's workshop was equally awesome. It was the beginning workshop, so he spent a lot of time showing us proper ways of holding the drum, hand position, how to practice, etc. He walked around the room and gave individual instruction and demonstrated how to play all the different kinds of drums.

I left feeling very inspired and motivated by both of them. I couldn't afford the whole weekend package so I didn't get to go to all the other workshops, but I hope to next year.

I was at the Friday night show and saw some really amazing dancers of all kinds of styles and from all over the world. I was particularly impressed with Aziza. She is a beautiful dancer and her personality onstage is great. (Actually, I saw her offstage and she was just as great.)

So yeah, it was the best weekend ever... ha ha

Viv

LOL yep a blur is a good word. I was fortunate enough to do all weekend for the workshops. My hubby gives good birthday presents :D

I missed the warmups with Rachel Brice and wasn't able to do too much of the workshop. My luggage arrived about four hours after I did and then I got very lost trying to find the workshop site. Needless to say I was more than a little stressed and tight by the time I got to the workshop and not moving well. She was fantastic though, and I took lots of notes.

I was the redhead in the black t-shirt with the red drum with the white designs on it. Issam was wonderful and so patient! I was surprised at how many of the people there were not beginners. I was sitting between two guys who definately knew what they were doing and in front of the guy who's drum Issam used at the end to show us the two drum tecnique. I have to admit in a room with that many drummers it was hard to make a mistake because the whole room was pulsing with the drum beats.

I knew Aziza was going to be both fun and amazing workshop since I was lucky enough to take a workshop from her last November. I have said from the first time I saw her dance I wanted to "grow up and be Aziza" LOL!! Her personality is wonderful as a teacher, human being and performer. It just shines through!! Sunday night she did a FANTASTIC veil number!! I wish I could have videoed it.

Morocco and Tarik both thoroughly kicked my tail and had me laughing the entire time. She's not only a great teacher but has a wicked sense of humor. Tarik was just as much fun and taught a great routine. They are a lot of fun to watch dance both on their own and together.

I didn't take the Virgina, Neena and Veena, or Amir workshops but I wish I could have.

All three shows were fantastic! All levels and styles of dancers that were thouroughly entertaining. You would think with shows as long as they were things would start to blurr together but I never felt like the show was getting monotonous.

And yes I danced Friday night. I was the fourth dancer in the second part of the show, all black with silver beads. :D

Norma

I got very lost trying to find the workshop site.
I know!!! My friends and I did, too!

I was the redhead in the black t-shirt with the red drum with the white designs on it.

And yes I danced Friday night. I was the fourth dancer in the second part of the show, all black with silver beads.
Yes, I remember you!

Okay, from now on, I'm going to ANNOUNCE when I'm attending events so that I can meet up with people I meet online. It would have been so fun to become acquainted that way!

Viv

Well I'm already planning on being there next year, even if I have to sell the hubby and/or the kid as slave labor for the $$$s to go ;) , so we'll have to make plans then to meet up if your going to be there as well. :D

Aria

Yaa Halla Y'all - Grapevine, Texas

I study with Isis and I attended 4 days of Yaa Halla; it took me 3 days to recouperate!:) Issam has become the new household name...along with Isis and Aziza and Amir.

Two years ago while looking for a Halloween costume, I and came into Isis' Studio...I joined beginner classes that day! I am working my way up to Adv. II and just choreographed by first drum solo performance. Still a baby dancer. I have danced on the stage in Grapevine 3 times now in just under 2 years.

Isis doesn't have to put on Yaa Halla, she does it for all of us, all of us dancers, young and old, thin or thick, clumsy or graceful, beginner and professional, who dream to be a beautiful dancer, or just be a part of something so awe-inspiring, the music bonding us for life as sisters and brothers.

Granted Grapevine Convention Center is not Caesar's Palace, and we don't have the best lighting, PA system, or theatre seating...those newspaper people are spoiled with cushy, leather recliners. I was in my own dream world! I had a beautiful costume. I was going to dance on stage with my best friend, like we planned for years, and I was able to dance with Isis, Aziza, Virginia, and Amir.

I attended workshops Fri., Sat., and Sun. with a weekend pass for all the workshops and shows. The venue Isis provides for dancers around the U.S. is invaluable to the experience all of us need to "strive to amaze." I highly recommend it for next year - even with its quirks. Where else can you get so much for so little!

All we want is for everyone to enjoy - we don't want your criticisms, we don't belly dance because it is easy; we do it because it is hard!

For those newspapers people who criticized the Show, send someone next year who is interested in more than what was wrong, but how amazing these women are to dazzle the audience over and over. I applaud all of us who were there!

Go Isis!

Norma

Someone criticized Yaa Halla? In a newspaper?!!

They have no idea what they're talking about. I had the pleasure of meeting Isis while I was there and got a big hug from her--she knows my teacher from way back in the day. The first thing I did when I got home was send her an email thanking her for a good time and for putting on the event. I also complimented all the staff and volunteers that worked the weekend--if you were one of them, kudos to you, too!!!

I hope I wasn't the only dancer to give positive feedback. Maybe that will make up in some small measure for whatever the reporter said. I had a fabulous time and I plan to attend every year, for as long as it continues.

Viv

Of course the seating was a bit butt numbing at times, but with the dancing that was on the stage, who cared!! Part of the fun of the workshops and weekend is all the little things that are quirky, little tecnical issues, and the giggles and jokes that went along with them. I thought everything, including any little oopses were part of what made the weekend so enjoyable.
I'll second Norma in that all the people running the weekend worked tirelessly and all their hard work made the weekend very enjoyable for everyone who attended. I made a point of telling Isis when I managed to catch her that out here we don't tell each other "good luck" or "break a leg" before peroforming. we say "Make Magic" and she and her folks most certainly did!!!!!!!!