Amazing Egyptian belly dancer!

Yame

Just found this video today. Her name is Sofia. I'd never heard of her before... great shaabi dancing!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
That is fun - she is good - I like the relaxed, flowing way she dances. Don't like the costume though.
~Mosaic

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Yeah, this is lighter than a light of shabbi -- I like it.

But WHAT is that stuff floating around? Is that supposed to be money or confetti or what? LOL.

Agree on the costume. I'd almost rather see in her shorts. But I really like shabbi done in pants or jeans, so I'm prejudiced.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Looks like silverish confetti stuff, maybe Unicorn confetti ( if you remember our silly unicorn thread some time back:D)

I've seen a couple of youtube videos with the dancers in Jeans dancing Shaabi with just a scarf around their hips, and I like the 'street' look as well.
~Mosaic

Yame

I love everything about this video. Her dancing is natural, simple, and relaxed yet at the same time she presents an extremely high level of technical skill.

I like the way the room is decorated and the silver confetti is an interesting touch.

I also think the video was edited nicely. Normally I prefer to see full videos with few or no cuts--the dancer dancing to the actual music that is playing at the moment--but in this case whoever edited it really knew what they were doing, so the moves she was doing matched the music perfectly despite being edited.

I love, love, love mini-skirt costumes. I used to hate them, but they totally grew on me. I like being able to see what the dancer is doing with her legs... especially for something like shaabi as opposed to more classic oriental, for which long skirts obviously are better. It shows the technique better than long skirts, and although shorts and pants could work too, the way the short skirt swishes around emphasizes the movement nicely, and the aesthetic is more bedlah-like than shorts or pants, although more casual than a more traditional bedlah.

With that said I think it takes certain body types to pull off the look. The short skirt thing would look atrocious on me, so it's not something I'm ever attempting.

I like to watch people dance in their street clothes too, but I think she was going for a more polished look.