Speaking of finding a dance name

Farasha Hanem

How do you go about finding a dance name to fit your persona? When I first joined the board, I went under "Okie Rose" (even though I couldn't post at the time; hence, the reason for having to come up with a new user name :( ). I'd kind of like to find a descriptive Arabic name, but I don't know Arabic...:(

Kharmine

I found mine as the title of a piece of old sheet music, circa 1910. I was amused by the drawing of an exotic woman of vaguely Middle Eastern look posed against the pyramids. The song extolled "Kharmine" the beautiful gypsy. It's close to my real name so I thought, "why not?"

I looked it up to see if it meant anything inappropriate -- turned out it was a completely invented name.

Inspiration can come from many places!

Farasha Hanem

I thought of asking if anyone knew the Arabic phrase for "The Butterfly" (I love butterflies; kind of silly, huh?), but after taking that "What Kind of Bellydancer Are You?" quiz, and finding out I'm tribal, I don't know how butterflies would fit that image...:think:

Amulya

I think Farasha means butterfly. Not sure though! There are already a few dancers with that name.

Aisha Azar

Name

I think Farasha means butterfly. Not sure though! There are already a few dancers with that name.

Dear Amulya,
Yes, farasha is butterfly in Arabic, pronounced fa-RAH-shuh. It is fairly common among dancers here in the States.
Regards,
A'isha

Ranya

Hi newbie...well I don't see why you shouldn't choose Farasha when you're tribal? Where does it say that all tribal dancers have to be Xena the warrior princess?

Farasha Hanem

Hi newbie...well I don't see why you shouldn't choose Farasha when you're tribal? Where does it say that all tribal dancers have to be Xena the warrior princess?

ROFL!!! :lol: Ranya, I simply adore you; thank you for your input! :D It's too bad that "Farasha" is a common bellydance name. :( Any ideas on how to make it a bit more descriptive/personal for me? :think:

Maybe it might help if I give a little more info on myself? I'm 46, so I'm sort of a "late bloomer" when it comes to bellydance. I'm quite small physically (4 ft. 9 inches), and even though I really thought I'd be more of a cabaret dancer, I have to admit that the idea of being tribal is very appealing. I still love cabaret dancing, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Although I've given some beauty advice here on the board, I firmly believe that true beauty is so much more than what goes on on the outside; true beauty comes from the heart. I guess that's part of the reason why tribal appeals to me; it's earthy, non-pretentious, and honest (this is not a knock against other styles; they're all wonderful in their own special ways). I love to laugh and make others laugh, but I know when to be serious, and I love to help and comfort others, because I feel that it's everyone's responsibility to be that way, but not all humans fulfill that responsibility, so somebody has to stand up and be an example to others.

So, what in the world kind of weird "butterfly" am I? :think:

Last edited:

Kharmine

ROFL!!! :lol: Ranya, I simply adore you; thank you for your input! :D It's too bad that "Farasha" is a common bellydance name. :( Any ideas on how to make it a bit more descriptive/personal for me? :think:

Maybe it might help if I give a little more info on myself? I'm 46, so I'm sort of a "late bloomer" when it comes to bellydance. I'm quite small physically (4 ft. 9 inches), and even though I really thought I'd be more of a cabaret dancer, I have to admit that the idea of being tribal is very appealing. I still love cabaret dancing, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Although I've given some beauty advice here on the board, I firmly believe that true beauty is so much more than what goes on on the outside; true beauty comes from the heart. I guess that's part of the reason why tribal appeals to me; it's earthy, non-pretentious, and honest (this is not a knock against other styles; they're all wonderful in their own special ways). I love to laugh and make others laugh, but I know when to be serious, and I love to help and comfort others, because I feel that it's everyone's responsibility to be that way, but not all humans fulfill that responsibility, so somebody has to stand up and be an example to others.

How about a Tiny Checkerspot? :lol:http://butterflywebsite.com/gallery/SpeciesPhotos.cfm?speciesid=122

Shakeelah

Here are some for you to consider, taken from Stage-Worthy Dance Names by Najia El-Mouzayen

Atira (uh tee'ruh) - One who loves fragrant things
Ayperi (eye peer'ee) - Moonfairy (Turkish)
Jale (Jah lay') - Drop of Morning Dew
Jennat (Jen nat') - Many joys of paradise
Maysa (may'suh) - Walking proudly
Nazaha (no zah'ha) - Honesty:purity
Nyad/Naiad (nigh'ad) Water sprite (Greek)
Sharifa (sha ree'fuh) Honest; Noble

Aisha Azar

Jahleh

Here are some for you to consider, taken from Stage-Worthy Dance Names by Najia El-Mouzayen

Atira (uh tee'ruh) - One who loves fragrant things
Ayperi (eye peer'ee) - Moonfairy (Turkish)
Jale (Jah lay') - Drop of Morning Dew
Jennat (Jen nat') - Many joys of paradise
Maysa (may'suh) - Walking proudly
Nazaha (no zah'ha) - Honesty:purity
Nyad/Naiad (nigh'ad) Water sprite (Greek)
Sharifa (sha ree'fuh) Honest; Noble

Dear Shakeelah,
Re Jale ( Jahleh)-This name also means "vest" in Arabic, according to Katy Azar who is from Jordan.
Regards,
A'isha

adiemus

I'm curious to see whether anyone knows a female arabic name with the meaning 'bright dawn' or 'anticipation of good things'. My real name comes from welsh and while its literal meaning is 'white breasted', the figurative meaning is more like the other two meanings I've given. It's a curious process finding a 'name'!!

Tarik Sultan

Hey how about Farasha Hanum? Hanum is a Turkish title of respect for a woman. There was a very famous Egyptian movie with Samia Gamal and Farid El Atrash called Afrita Hanum.

So it woul translate Lady Butterfly. Classy, elegant, soft, delicate, just like a butterfly:)

Farasha Hanem

WOO-HOO!!! I have a name!

Hey how about Farasha Hanum? Hanum is a Turkish title of respect for a woman. There was a very famous Egyptian movie with Samia Gamal and Farid El Atrash called Afrita Hanum.

So it woul translate Lady Butterfly. Classy, elegant, soft, delicate, just like a butterfly:)

Heeeey, I like it, I love it!!! :D:D:D Thank you so much! "Farasha Hanum" it is, then! :D:dance::clap::cool: *gives you BIG hugs!* Ummm...any chance of me getting my username here changed to it? :think::pray:

By the way, thank you so much, everyone, for all your suggestions; you're all absolutely wonderful. I'm so glad to be here.

Last edited:

Aisha Azar

Names, etc

I'm curious to see whether anyone knows a female arabic name with the meaning 'bright dawn' or 'anticipation of good things'. My real name comes from welsh and while its literal meaning is 'white breasted', the figurative meaning is more like the other two meanings I've given. It's a curious process finding a 'name'!!

Dear Adiemus,
Sahar (SUH-har) means dawn, and Nour is like, shining or bright. Zahirah (zuh- HERE-uh) means shining or luminous. Bahiyyeh (buh-HEE-eh) means brilliant or radiant.

For anticipation of good things, Amal ( uh- Mahl) means hope. Amani (uh-MAH-nee) means wishes or aspirations. Manal (man- AL) means attainment or achievement.

Regards,
A'isha

Ranya

Hi,
as for Bahiyya, I heard that it is not a very popular name at the moment (meaning used on past generations but not nowadays anymore...). I heard it from levantines but maybe that was just their opinion.

Aisha Azar

Names

Hi,
as for Bahiyya, I heard that it is not a very popular name at the moment (meaning used on past generations but not nowadays anymore...). I heard it from levantines but maybe that was just their opinion.

Dear Ranya,
Yes, names go through popularity phases all over the world. Right now names like Madison and Dakota are very popular in the States. Twenty five years ago, nobody named their kids that.
Two weeks ago my best friend had her first child. She is Saudi and her husband is Egyptian. She wanted to name the baby Rima and he wanted to name her Sarah (Pronounced SAW-rah). In Saudi Arabia, Sarah is an old fashioned name and not popular. In Egypt it is again in fashion and many people are naming their kids that. Rima is considered out of fashion in Egypt but the Saudis are liking it right now. I wanted to name her Suhaila and my husband wanted to name her "Frankie". Seems you can't please all the people all of the time.
Regards,
A'isha

Adiva

I found my dancer name pretty easy, I just looked up Arab names and their meaning and I fell immediately for the name Adiva, which means 'pleasant, gentle', and go figure I am a very pleasant person :lol: but also when you look differently at the name you could read ' A diva' and I thought that would be great cuz I think all belly dancers are divas, so including myself even though I still am a beginner :D but really we're all divas

The right name will come to you, really!!!

adiemus

Thank you so much A'isha - I think I would like to combine two names, Bahiyyeh which I love even if it is old-fashioned (so is my real name!!), and Manal, so 'Bahiyyeh Manal' I think this is pretty, and I love the sound and meaning. I really love Manal, as Amani is so popular!! and Amal is the name of someone I know (who is from Saudi).

Ranya

Hi Adiva, I really like your name! :-D Never heard of it though.

(BTW, there is no sound "v" like in Diva in arabic, only "w" like Wow)