Project Belly Dance - A Belly Dance Reality Show

Shems

This is a production that Michelle Joyce and Lotus Niraja put together. It is a reality show, filmed over the course of the Belly Dance Nationals weekend, but even more a peek inside what a belly dance contest is like and into the minds of several belly dancers.

I didn't see any posts about it here when I searched, so I thought I'd post this incase you hadn't heard about it. Full episodes will be posted on the website starting January 3rd 2011, then every two weeks until all three are shown, then y'all get to vote for who you'd like to win out of those who weren't eliminated by the challenges. Then they'll do a results show to announce the final winner.

Project Belly Dance - a reality show

They set up a forum where people can share opinions about the show - also a lot of the contestants talked about why they participated, and some tidbits about the experience. And of course it is a great place for just cheering people on.

Project Belly Dancer - Index

Full disclosure, I did participate in this. It was a lot of fun. I think they'll be doing it again next year too if any of you are interested.

Here are a couple of trailers:

YouTube - Project Belly Dance Trailer

YouTube - Belly Dance Reality Show - episode 1 teaser

I got to see a sneak preview of the first episode and Michelle did a beautiful job with editing. Watch it and share your thoughts.

<3 Enjoy!

Last edited:

PracticalDancer

Project Belly Dance - a Reality Show for us!

ETA: moderator, please merge with http://www.bellydanceforums.net/oth...ance-belly-dance-reality-show.html#post171335.

Hello all!

I have not found a reference to it elsewhere on the forum; so, I wanted to be sure you all knew about this: Project Belly Dance - a reality show It is a new reality show by Michelle Joyce of Cheeky Girls where the winner gets to make an instructional DVD. The contest features at least one member here (go Shems!) as well as some other lovely ladies we all know through the dance. (I have had the honor of learning from or with several of them.)

So, I thought that we needed a thread where we could chat about the episodes. I believe broadcast starts on 1/2/11.

Happy watching!

Anala

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Merged :)
I am so looking forward to this! I saw the trailer a while ago and it looks brilliant.

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
ooo watched the trailer and was thinking this show will definatly have some drama and diva like stuff occur in it.

Glad it is going to be online since I don't think anyone here will carry it.

Shems

ooo watched the trailer and was thinking this show will definatly have some drama and diva like stuff occur in it.

Glad it is going to be online since I don't think anyone here will carry it.

Well you know there is tons of drama and a lot of divas in the belly dance world, but I think there wasn't enough time for too much of that to come out. Unlike most reality shows that are stretched out over the course of several weeks, this was just one weekend and will only be 3 episodes. So just a little drama, and mostly just a lot of fun.

:)

Greek Bonfire

I just think it's so exciting that bellydancing is moving into the mainstream. Maybe this will be the very thing that will get it over the hurdle and center stage, finally. Shems, you must be sooooooo excited!

Shems

I just think it's so exciting that bellydancing is moving into the mainstream. Maybe this will be the very thing that will get it over the hurdle and center stage, finally. Shems, you must be sooooooo excited!

Maybe, I know they are pitching it to some networks, so you never know. At this point I think the audience will still be mostly dancers. But I'm spreading the word to my little network. I think it will be easier to get many of my friends to watch a webisode online than to come to an actual live performance.

Safran

Just got an e-mail from Michelle saying she decided to air the first episode earlier. And of course, left everything else aside to watch it! :) I really enjoyed - I recognised some of the dancers, but there were also a lot of dancers I saw for the very first time. Due to the time restrictions of the show there were only snippets of performances, but as I understand that the full performances are up on the project's websites.

Ah, can't wait for the next episode... I'm already cheering for my favourites! ;)

Daimona

Ah.. Finally a reality show that is watchable..
Lots of interesting dancing (and I love Yvonne's eye make-up).

Well done, Shems! You're one of my favs in the show and I look forward to see the next episodes.

Last edited: