olive oil for hair

charity

has any one used olive oil on their hair? is it simply for shine or will it smooth away frizzies?

i've used V05 or cholesterol before but it does not wash away cleanly with shampoo. i have to strip my hair which is very damaging.

KuteNurse

Charity, I would use products specifically meant for hair. If you want shine and to get rid of frizziness, there are many professional products out there that are reasonable. I use a line called Halo. They have a smoothing shampoo and conditioner that are wonderful and also healthy for your hair. They have a rinse for shine and a gel for straightening...I have heard biolage has wonderful products also. The best way to get rid of friz is to use a small amount of anti-friz or smoothing gel. Round brush your hair smooth, then use a flat iron that will close those follicles.

janaki

Hi Charity,

Olive oil is good to apply all over the hair and keep it over night and wash off the next day. You will definitely feel the difference in the texture of your hair after few times. For a qucik treatment, apply all over the scalp and hair and wrap it in a hot towel for 20 min ans wash. As kutenurse said, if you need a qucik fix go with the readymade hair products!!!!

cheers
Janaki

Is'adZahira

Sally Beauty has a brand called ION, it has treatments that repair the damaged hair, I like them very much and are not expensive.

Kharmine

Olive oil is especially good for dry hair, and African hair. But a little goes a long way.

Make sure it is warm -- the colder it is the more it thickens up and doesn't spread well.

Lydia

Hi Charity...you can also use pure virgin coconat oil it is much lighter than olive oil and feels realy nice ...Lydia

noelani6696

I've used olive oil before ( mother has been doing hair her whole life) and it's a very good conditioner..but only a once a month thing unless you have hair drier than straw!! It's also great if you happen to get one of those nots you just can not get out...put warm olive oil on it & have patience & eventually you can get it out!!!!

charity

unfortunately my hair is a lot like straw, and normal products take probably 10 times as much product as it should. its quite expensive.

i will try the overnight treatment then wash it out. after i do that do i still shampoo and condition daily and then perhaps once the oil and build up is eventually washed away by the shampoo, in a few weeks or so repeat the overnight treatment?

Moon

Do you wash your hair every day Charity? Maybe that's why your hair is very dry? Maybe you can try to wash only the scalp for a few days?

Fatima

My hair can be difficult too. I decided to go to an expert and what she said saved it. First, don't wash it every day. Every other day is already too much. If you sweat you can try baby powder. It takes a while to master it (at first I looked really funny), but it works. Use extremely good products. Usually that means expensive, but it's worth it. I use either Redken or Matrix for curls and I'm very pleased with the results, and they're not that expensive. They also have styling product that are really helpful. You can also chop it. Well, at least a little. It doesn't have to be as radical as a military cut. But instead of trying expensive new products on long ugly hair I decided to cut it least two inches, a little more that the usual inch (I ended up with a little over the shoulder lenght). And remember to trim you hair at least every six weeks.

charity

well i dont shampoo daily unless i use a very thick product on my hair because it takes at least a week of daily shampooing to get it off. and then i reapply product once my hair is close to getting stripped of the build up. if i dont do this i've noticed that dirt clings to the hair making it incredibly stringy.

i just havent found something light enough to not attract dirt and dust but thick enough to weigh down my hair without making it look stringy.

i have tried coconut oil shampoo and that worked very good but i cant stand that smell. i've also tried brazil nut shampoo which worked awesome but was discontinued and i cannot find a replacement that works just as good.

i'll try all this, sooner or later. thanks for the advice. the keratin thing sounds interesting. i imagine it works the same as silicone..

Is'adZahira

Why do you apply this kind of products on your hair? how can you expect to have a different situation if you repeat the same steps over and over? if you have problems removing the product is because your hair is full of pores, but you get pores in your hair because you wash it and wash it.:shok:

If you don't stop, keep doing this and don't reconstruct the fibber of your hair, there would be not other solution than shave your head entirely Spears' way. :think:

charity

if i use salon products that are made for frizz or whatever, i dont wash daily. because they do not build up on my hair to the same extent as say cholesterol products.

point is:
i've tried EVERYTHING on my hair, and the results are never good. thats why i was wondering about the cheap alternative, olive oil. im going to give it a try.

Last edited:

charity

where i live thermal reconstruction is very expensive. its not an option. i'm frustrated. and yes i had to edit that post cuz i was feeling bitter.

Last edited:

Moon

Charity, if you try something new, do you try it once or for a longer period of time? Because if you only try it once you probably won't see a result, and I think it's not very good for the hair to change shampoo so often (though I'm not sure if that's true)

Did you read the thread about henna for hair? Members who tried it said it also made their hair stronger and healthier.

charity

the shampoos and conditioners i will stay with them for 2-3 months to wait for the effects. for paul mitchell it took about a month and i knew it was the best product yet for my hair. so i've stuck with it.

my hair is NOT SO bad i guess, it just seems that as i'm getting older my hair is getting more coarse and frizzy and i'm afraid i'll be having hair like my dad in the next 10 years if i dont take preventive steps or find a way to at least make it look good.

not now cause i just showered but next week when i decide to straighten my hair i'm going to take a pic of the before and after. it will reveal my dilemma. .

Tarik Sultan

Hi Charity,

Olive oil is good to apply all over the hair and keep it over night and wash off the next day. You will definitely feel the difference in the texture of your hair after few times. For a qucik treatment, apply all over the scalp and hair and wrap it in a hot towel for 20 min ans wash. As kutenurse said, if you need a qucik fix go with the readymade hair products!!!!

cheers
Janaki
OH CRAP YOUR SUPPOSED TO WASH IT OUT???!!!! NO WONDER IT JUST MADE MY HAIR A GREASY MESS!:shok: