My house flooded in the huricane

Amulya

We had THIS where I live:

This link doesn't allow youtube wraps somehow, but this is the thing itself, someone caught it on camera:
YouTube - Lennox Tornado June

That was where they got hit the worst, I am more lucky.
During the night I kind of slept through the thing, thinking it was 'just' extreme rain and very hard wind.
When I was sitting on the couch in the morning water started coming out of the wall. I tried to mob the water u, but it came in too rapidly. My backyard is higher than my place and all the water had become too much and to heavy.
This is the place I just moved into!
When I noticed the water was not 'mob-able' I started to haul all the boxes with my books (I didn't even have time to unpack those yet!) on tables and cabinets. I was right in time!
I made a 'path' for the water to make a stream that went from one site of the place to the other where I could push the water outside.
I put towels everywhere to make sure it didn't get to my furniture. It missed it by a millimeter...

All ok now, just still got to clean some mess in the garden and get all my boxes from the tables
But I'll only do that when I'm sure no water will come trough again, because there might still be a lot in the ground in the backyard (which is higher than my place...)

Last edited:

Shanazel

Bless your heart, Amulya, I am glad you are such a quick thinker and quick mover so that you were able to avert some damage. I'll be thinking of you.

Amulya

I think I'm very lucky, those poor people who lost their homes!

I worried about my books and furniture and I am glad I could save everything so fast! I am fast and strong if I had to, but was ill the rest of the day, was just too much. I still don't trust the water behind that wall, if it will rain again :confused:

The only ones who have enjoyed the flood were my cats: big playground for water skidding, splashing around and being naughty! It didn't make the cleaning up easier :lol: They turned the whole house wet. I got strange cats, they love to play with water.

Last edited:

Aniseteph

Eek - all those things flying round in the first vid!

Glad you are OK and saved your stuff, smart thinking. :cool:

And your cats sound crazy.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I am glad you are OK Amulya, that tornado just came out of nowhere. Not even the weather people saw it coming. Did you buy your house or are you renting? If you are renting the management agency or owner is responsible for making sure the house is OK and liveable. With water coming in like that the walls and floors will be damp and your furniture can suffer from the damp and also your health from damp and mould. Do get it all checked out ASAP. If it is your home your insurance may cover the cost of drying the place out. If the floors and walls are not dried out professionally everything will start to smell damp and mouldy, that is not good for you or the cats.

You do have funny cats - liking water:lol: My big cat loves high windy days, he gets so excited and runs around inside & out back & forth like a total looney-tunes:lol:
~Mosaic

Amulya

The landlady has been notified. She is very nice and does try her best to keep things right. The problem for her is that this place hasn't been build properly :confused:
The wall of one site of the place is actually a retaining wall, but without the proper system to let water drain, so it drains into my place :lol:
I am going to keep an eye on moisture (if more leeks trough with rain) and my furniture. I keep my clothes upstairs, and it's less moist, so that is good. Most of my furniture is heavy duty, one got flooded, but that thing can not get destroyed by water (or by anything else haha)

Kharmine

Good thing you moved fast, Amulya. Makes for an exciting story to tell, but I'm sure it's not a bit of fun to actually go through.

da Sage

I'm glad you and your books are OK! Flooding is awful, I lost a ton of my books from keeping them in a basement. Now I know better.

Are tornadoes common in Australia? We get them all the time in the US, they used to make my Dutch roommate very nervous (guess they don't have them in Europe much).

Amulya

They do have them in Holland too: a huge one in the early 90s that lasted for a month! It would come and go, it was very scary.
Australia gets them too, although maybe not so often as the US.

All is good now: beautiful weather and my place is all cleaned up and everything is moved again :)

Shanazel

Are we talking about the same thing, Amulya? Tornados here are essentially short-lived events, though we may get a series of storms that dump more than one twister.

Amulya

You know what? All those different names are very confusing! The things at Lennox (3 at the same time) where twisters and the rest what was around it, which lasted a long time, I have no idea what you'd call that. I think they called it a hurricane. Not sure though. It was pretty rough in some parts. I was just lucky, I had more water problems than problems with the rest of it.

Corylus

Hi Amulya,

Well done for saving all your things and I'm glad you are ok. I feel so sorry for the people who you say lost their homes in that terrible weather :( we don't get anything like that here, I have no idea what it must be like to go through that.

Amulya

Corylus, you're lucky you don't get them. I come from Holland and they do get them sometimes, although rarely.
All is good now: beautiful weather and I just bought a bicycle (how Dutch is that :D) which I have to fix a bit and I'll go for a nice ride today to discover my new neighborhood! (I just moved here 2 weeks ago)