In another life...

Shanazel

Very cool! My sewing machine collection came about by accident over many years. I have my Janome, a 1970s Singer (my first machine), a 1940s Singer (my mom's), a Singer treadle (my grandmother's), and a New Automatic Treadle (my husband's grandmother's) plus a mystery portable machine that neither my husband nor I recall bringing into the relationship. I also have two working toy machines that do chain stitch.

Ariadne

Ohhhhh pretty. I only have two machines but I would love a vintage one like that... and a place to put it.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Like Shanazel, I got into sewing machine collecting by accident. It started with Belly Dance, of course. I needed to be able to do *some* sewing in self defense, so with the guidance of my dance teacher at the time, I bought my first machine, a 1976 White which is still my main machine. Then "somehow", others started trickling in, and I'm now up to 12 or 15 I think - including 3 chain stitchers. 2 are toys like Shanazel's, the other is a "real" machine that chainstitches. I have a serger too, which I use frequently. I have a particularly soft spot in my heart for Nationals.

For the curious, most of my collection is on my website at:

This new Singer and the toys aren't there yet...

Shanazel

If you aren't familiar with the site, cruise over to Pattern Review and check out the machine reviews and the forum discussions followed by sewing machine addicts. There's one thread about the most delusional prices for elderly and um, challenged sewing machines.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Its been awhile since I've been to Pattern review - thanx for reminding me about them. Yea, there are a LOT of idiots asking several hundred dollars for a run of the mill Japanese machine worth $25!

Shanazel

Its been awhile since I've been to Pattern review - thanx for reminding me about them. Yea, there are a LOT of idiots asking several hundred dollars for a run of the mill Japanese machine worth $25!

It's the beat up, ground down, rusted out treadles that people ask the earth and sky for.

Shanazel

Quilters drove the price of Featherweights up all by them little selves, using them to travel to classes. Now some of the quilters have become knitters and want to make back all the money they spent on making quilts for the last twenty years. ;)

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Now the Singer 301 is the hot item - the FW's big sister. Nothing that my 99K can't do, but they *are* lighter. I just lug my 99K around to "Stitch and Bitch" sessions, makes me "strong like bull!!".

Shanazel

I'd have to want to take a class or join a group very, very much before I'd haul a sewing machine anywhere. I am lazy, like cow.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Snort! That's funny!

Some of the troupes I've been in would have Stitch and Bitch sessions. We'd all get together and work on costumes. It was a LOT of fun!! Sometimes we all would bring our machines and work on our own costume. Other times, only a few would bring machines and we'd set up a production line. Some would be cutting, others sewing, others ironing, etc. I have one fond memory of one occasion of the latter where myself and a certain dance sister were the sewers, and we both ran out of bobbin thread at exactly the same time - and we both had similar choice words to say about the situation. We cracked ourselves up! Another time, myself and our eldest member were running the cutting table in the front room, while the troupe leader was serging in a back bedroom. Troupe leader sings out "I'm out of fabric in here!" - our eldest (a *very* proper Brit) yells back "Oh, just sit there and breathe in and out, you'll have more directly!". I stage whispered to her "Let's tell her (the troupe leader) that we cut it on the bias!". Eldest though that was funny, but troupe leader yells out of the back room, "I heard that!". Fun times. "Smart, like tractor."

Greek Bonfire

That's really cool. My mom hung on to her mom's vintage sewing machine (I think from the 1920s), but after my mom passed, I got rid of it - in pieces. It literally fell apart once I picked it up.