Guess who has her first hafla coming up?

AyaKara

This girl! :dance:

I found a (non-tribal) instructor in my town through Shira's site, so I sent her an e-mail asking if she was still active. She replied with her new location & number, & then told me that she would love to meet me at a hafla on March 3rd! Our town's FCBD will also be there (I did my first workshop with them & a class). I'm so excited! I feel like I'm officially, slowly becoming a part of the BD community :dance:

So now my question is . . . What does one wear to haflas? Are there any rules that I need to know about? Can we bring a guest? :shok:

Thank you for all of your help & endless support! :D

Last edited:

befree

hafla - party on, dude!

Wear whatever you like....dress to the nines, or wear jeans and a sweatshirt. Bring anybody you like...grandma, the kids (kids luv to bd), boyfriend, girlfriend...family-type atmosphere. Lots of bellydance husbands come...sometimes they drum. Be prepared to dance along if you so desire. The haflas I've been to are all potluck, and charge small entry fee as a fundraiser. Just a fun place to watch others dance, show off your own dancing, eat a little, maybe shop a little (if there are vendors). Very laid back and welcoming.

Aniseteph

Yay, party time! :dance:

The same question has come up before, so you might find more info if you do a search.

The ones I've been to have had people in anything from full belly dance costume through to jeans and a nice top. Whatever you are comfortable in plus a hipscarf to get up and dance is fine. Personally I would err on the side of smart casual until I knew how dressy-up a particular hafla scene was, but then I am a shrinking violet ;).

If it's an open hafla where people are paying for entry (as opposed to a private party), I don't see anyone having problems with guests - the more the merrier! Sometimes it's bring your own food and drink, sometimes you bring a contribution... check with the organiser.