Getting back to fitness after two years of nothing

Hi I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on getting re-fit after a two year absence from dance and excercise in general due to injury and healing. At this point I know I couldn't do an hour class. I have starting an mile walk in the morning and some excercise but one the form gets sloppy I stop. Creaks (really do now more than ever )

Daimona

You probably already now all the things I'm saying below, but I'll say it anyway. ;)

Start carefully and be patient. If you overdo it, you'll more likely to get injured again.

• First get used to do certain movements again, then increase tempo etc.
  • Get yourself a diary where you note what you are doing and what you want to improve. Be patient. Over time you'll be able to see progression.
  • Make small, but reachable and measurable goals.

For general excercise:
Walking a daily mile is a good start. Be patient, don't walk to fast if you are not used to walk a mile yet. After some time, are you able to increase the tempo or increase the distance? (Just one at the time, not both - remember, be careful and patient). Can you walk with a friend, or listen to some good music while walking?

Do you have a heartrate monitor? Unless you have one of those fancy monitors that saves everything, note your heart rate and how long time you need to get up to a certain level in your diary. Use it both see what level you should reach when excercising and walking your daily mile, but don't overdo it. Don't be afraid to ask at GP/PT for help/advice.
If you don't just note how long time you use to walk at your preferred distance in your diary.

Getting back to dance:
Start at the basics, focusing at and drilling one movement at a time (such as each week). First slowly (to ensure yourself good technique - your mind probably remembers, but your muscles aren't there quite yet). Increase gradually, but don't rush it. Suggestion for goals could be shimmying continously for 1 minute, then 2 minutes, then 5 etc. After a while, add dancing with high intensity for one song of 3 minutes etc. Be patient, don't rush it and don't give up. Remember to have fun when you drill.
Seek up dancing friends to get inspiration, and take private lessons to ensure you are doing things right (if you've got the fundings for it). :)

Have fun and welcome back! :dance:

Shanazel

Daimona's pretty thorough so I'll just say how much I've missed you being here regularly, Creaks, and

WELCOME HOME!!!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

Getting back to dance

Thank you Mosaic for your compliment and Ismaila thank you for your concern and yes doctor knows about this and suggests I work up to an hour walk. Ladies I really appreciate your good wishes and Creaks is back. Do we cue the Hello Dolly scene in Belly Dance Extravaganza................... oops brain has slid into silly :D

Daimona

:)Thank both of you very much journaling the progress is a great idea i hadn't thought of that. Creaks

Oh, and don't forget to treat yourself when you've reache some of your goals (such as buying a new CD or DVD or a ticket for a show etc whatever is needed for you to keep on).

You could also check in here and report your progress once in a while if you need some extra encouragement.. :D

Remember, small, reachable and measurable goals.

Avariel

Hi Creaky! <3 (I love saying that name and even if I learn your real name at some point in the future I will always call you that.)

I think everyone's given you great advice; mine would be to simply start a beginner yoga class, mostly because if you're anything like me having a class to go to twice or three times a week will keep you accountable and make you actually do the exercises. I cannot exercise on my own unless I'm super motivated, because there's no one else there staring down my flabby thighs in accusation.

Also, a class is a good way to have someone guide you through recovering from whatever injuries you may be recovering from, and yoga is a gentle way to strengthen muscle groups you'll need for dance. So not only will you slowly get stronger but you'll have someone show you methods of modifying certain moves that'll take those injuries into account so that you don't make them worse or re-injure yourself. I have a few dance/martial arts related injuries that yoga's helped strengthen back into non-existence again, and I can tell if I haven't been practicing yoga for a while that they start to complain again when I bellydance because they lose a lot of that built up strength. Just an idea! Congrats on getting back in it and I look forward to hearing how your traversements into dance go!

Getting back to fitness

Never thought about yoga, Avariel, since you mentioned martial arts injuries... in your opinion would tai chi offer similiar benefits. My husband and I have done tai chi (have dvds) and now he wants to get in shape too. So far I have done the walks, added bits of excercise sort of a standing crunch tappingmy elbow to the opposite knee while raising it. A little nervous about doing any floor excercise like cat pose or any that you kneel on the floor. I am journaling, excercises and food and the calories......... that can be scary at how many unmindful calories you can accumulate during the day. I really have to thank all of you guys again:dance: Creaks (but maybe soon not as much)

atisheh

Hi I was wondering if anyone can offer advice on getting re-fit after a two year absence from dance and excercise in general due to injury and healing. At this point I know I couldn't do an hour class. I have starting an mile walk in the morning and some excercise but one the form gets sloppy I stop. Creaks (really do now more than ever )

I'm new here, so I don't know if you're into using videos for home practice at all, but I'm a DVD junkie and I do have a few recs, just in case you are:

If you're dealing with back issues at all, I've found Gary Kraftsow's Viniyoga DVDs (one for upper back, one for lower) to be absolute lifesavers. When I say "lifesavers," I mean that I had a very bad back attack in 2008 (all muscles though -- nothing wrong with the vertebrae), and when I was able to walk again I bought these videos and used them anytime I was in pain or starting to feel a worrisome twinge. And I have not had back problems since.

As to bellydance, I think Shamira's videos "The Sensuous Workout" and "The Sensuous Workout 2" are pretty undemanding -- I feel confident doing them when I have knee pain, as I know they won't make anything worse. And if you're really tender, you might try Naia's Bellydance Prenatal Fitness. It's suuuuuuper gentle and only half an hour long. I'm very pregnant and it's even quite easy for me, but sometimes it's good to do something not too demanding. And I don't know about you, but I find that even really easy dancing still makes me feel good.

Atisheh

Getting Back to Fitness

Thanks Atisheh, I will check with our library if they have some of those titles. Though the prenatal one will scare Mr. Husband tee hee. :lol: Creaks

atisheh

Thanks Atisheh, I will check with our library if they have some of those titles. Though the prenatal one will scare Mr. Husband tee hee. :lol: Creaks

Ha! Reason enough to get it and practice to it. But it is very gentle and simple... you may find it too boring if you really want a dance practice.

SidraK

If you're not yoga inclined you might also want to see what classes are available in the way of beginner's fitness or stretch and strength. When I decided to start getting myself back into shape a few years back, I took a beginner's fitness class that was a mix of gentle aerobics, prop work (balls, resistance bands, etc), and "tastes" of some of the more trendy fitness crazes like Zumba, and spinning. Basically an intro to the types of classes that you might want to look at later on. I found that since the class was set up for people new to exercise, the instructor was very aware of the participants' ability levels. It got me back into an exercise routine, and when I felt ready, I just drifted away from the class and into the independent workout I'm happier doing.

Taking a formal class is a good way to get into a structured routine, and if you're anything like me, you might find that leaving the house is a motivation to train. If I'm home, all the DVDs in the world are not going to get me off the couch!

Last edited:

atisheh

Taking a formal class is a good way to get into a structured routine, and if you're anything like me, you might find that leaving the house is a motivation to train. If I'm home, all the DVDs in the world are not going to get me off the couch!

Sigh... despite of my love for videos, this is pretty true for me. I've found that it's really only physical discomfort -- I haven't moved around enough, I haven't stretched enough -- that will get me to do the vids.