Fifi Abdou Update

gypsy8522

I got a bit of "trivia" from an interview with Fifi Abdou

1- She lost SO much weight, she's now thinner than she ever was in the past 10 years.

2- She looks a lot younger, she had a nice outfit and makeup on

3- She got a phone call during the show from her sister, and for the first time ever the iron woman is seen crying

4- Fifi's sister passed away recently, as well as her two neices to a disease

5- Fifi has two daughters, Azza and Hanadi, and one granddaughter

6- Fifi's eldest daughter looks almost identical to her mother when she was young

8- Fifi says she doesn't believe in engagement at all :shok: and when her older daughter met her now husband, her only condition was they get married right away.

9- Fifi's only wish is to be able to eat corn while walking along the cornishe, like any normal Egyptian. She says she can't do that anymore because people won't leave her alone. She's a people's person but she also wants her right to have a personal life.
Fifi said that even when she calls in delivery, the person who answers the phone recognizes her voice.

10- Fifi has become an eloquent speaker, with serious social and religous views.... very strange and unexpected from a once illiterate person with very limited education

Aisha Azar

Fifi

Dear Gypsy,
Thanks for sharing. I have watched her Ramadan show a few times and it is so obvious that she is brilliant. I have only spoken with her on a personal level through an interpreter, for like, 3 or 4 minutes, but it is clear that she is a truly thinking, intelligent person. I think it showed in her dancing as well.
Regards,
A'isha

Kharmine

Sadly, I did not record it. There was another special in celebration of her birthday and I missed that, too. I only saw the promo, looked like a lot of fun.

Gypsy, this is good stuff. You should write it up for an article.

BTW, is Fifi currently married? I always wondered...

gypsy8522

Gypsy, this is good stuff. You should write it up for an article.

BTW, is Fifi currently married? I always wondered...

No, currently she is not married. She talked about the girls' father, but I don't think she is still married to him.

edit: Actually, I take that back. I think she is married now, but to a different person. I remember she slipped something about a husband in one of her TV interviews, the presenter looked shocked when she heard the remark but she did not inquire. Maybe she got scared if she asked that question Fifi might beat her up?!

:lol:

Last edited:

Kharmine

No, currently she is not married. She talked about the girls' father, but I don't think she is still married to him.

edit: Actually, I take that back. I think she is married now, but to a different person. I remember she slipped something about a husband in one of her TV interviews, the presenter looked shocked when she heard the remark but she did not inquire. Maybe she got scared if she asked that question Fifi might beat her up?!

:lol:

Is Fifi a tough broad??? :shok:

I always wondered if any of the current dance divas was following in the tradition of Tahia Carioka. She was supposed to have been married at least 20 times. ..

gypsy8522

Is Fifi a tough broad??? :shok:

I always wondered if any of the current dance divas was following in the tradition of Tahia Carioka. She was supposed to have been married at least 20 times. ..

Tough is a mild way to describe her. She once hit this guy because he did an impersonation of her. I did not see it, but my sister told me that he has truly disrespected her. Her reaction is typical baladi macho woman. Not sure if you've ever been to the souq/Egyptian market and seen them fight, it can be scary. She is very witty, funny and approachable, as long as you don't get on her bad side.

As for the multiple marriages, it's not just a dancer thing. Sabah, who is in her 80's, has been married so many times. Her marriage to Roshdy Abaza lasted less than 3 days. And by the way, she got married again last year to a fashion designer :shok: Let me see if I can find the photos online, her wedding dress was to die for.... designed by the hubby, of course :lol:

Last edited:

Sita

Thanks for posting this!!!!

Tough is a mild way to describe her. She once hit this guy because he did an impersonation of her. I did not see it, but my sister told me that he has truly disrespected her. Her reaction is typical baladi macho woman. Not sure if you've ever been to the souq/Egyptian market and seen them fight, it can be scary. She is very witty, funny and approachable, as long as you don't get on her bad side. I didn't think it was possible but she just rose even more in my esteem.

As for the multiple marriages, it's not just a dancer thing. Sabah, who is in her 80's, has been married so many times. Her marriage to Roshdy Abaza lasted less than 3 days. And by the way, she got married again last year to a fashion designer :shok: Let me see if I can find the photos online, her wedding dress was to die for.... designed by the hubby, of course :lol:
:clap: Now that's style: marrying a fashion designer is almost as good as a marrying a jewellery designer;). I've also heard that Fifi took in Tahiya Carioca's adopted daughter after she passed away, just wondering if anyone knows if there was any truth in that?

Sita

Sofia

Having not been here for a little while and I missed already so much!

Gypsy thank you so much for sharing this.
I had several opportunities to meet Fifi and even spent many hours with her chatting (a wild mixture of English and Arabic) we had a lot of fun and I have always adored her intelligence and strong charakter. She always spoke her mind. (That was in the early 90ies)
And above all she is a great artist!

Tarik Sultan

Education is one thing, intelligence is quite another. George Bush is educated.... but......

I've always loved her spirit. She really is a reflection of the real Bint il baladi. Unlike the stereotype of the weak oppressed Muslim woman, these women are very strong. Despite the very real discrimination women face, don't for a second think that these women are just laying down like rugs to be walked on. They are very intelligent, very opinionated and very strong and watching two of them slug it out is frightening.

What I loved about her dancing is that it reflected that very baladi spirit.

kayshier

Education is one thing, intelligence is quite another. George Bush is educated.... but......

I've always loved her spirit. She really is a reflection of the real Bint il baladi. Unlike the stereotype of the weak oppressed Muslim woman, these women are very strong. Despite the very real discrimination women face, don't for a second think that these women are just laying down like rugs to be walked on. They are very intelligent, very opinionated and very strong and watching two of them slug it out is frightening.

What I loved about her dancing is that it reflected that very baladi spirit.

seriously? :shok: he could have fooled me :lol:
*my random comment of today*

gypsy8522

I've also heard that Fifi took in Tahiya Carioca's adopted daughter after she passed away, just wondering if anyone knows if there was any truth in that?

I watched Taheya's final interview before her death, and this was around ten years ago. As far as my memory can recall, the girl was left as a baby on Taheya's doorstep. The people around her advised her to take the girl to an orphanage, but she was so devoutly religous at the time and she felt it was haram to dump the girl in an orphanage while she is capable of taking care of her. So, she decided to adopt the girl and named her Atta' Allah, which means God's gift. According to Taheya, the child was God's gift to her since she was not able to have children of her own. Taheya and Fifi are distant relatives (hence the tough personality), so it was a natural thing for Fifi to take in Taheya's daughter, which was also part of Taheya's final will before she died.

Here is another interesting story. During Fifi's TV special on one of the Arabic channels, the host told Fifi that a duo will be dancing on the show, named Tito and Titi (this was the dancer in pink). Fifi said that she and her daughter also formed a duo at home, called Titi and Tata. (Fifi's real name is Atiyat, her friends and family call her "Titi". Atta' Allah's nickname is "Tata")

:)

Sita

I watched Taheya's final interview before her death, and this was around ten years ago. As far as my memory can recall, the girl was left as a baby on Taheya's doorstep. The people around her advised her to take the girl to an orphanage, but she was so devoutly religous at the time and she felt it was haram to dump the girl in an orphanage while she is capable of taking care of her. So, she decided to adopt the girl and named her Atta' Allah, which means God's gift. According to Taheya, the child was God's gift to her since she was not able to have children of her own. Taheya and Fifi are distant relatives (hence the tough personality), so it was a natural thing for Fifi to take in Taheya's daughter, which was also part of Taheya's final will before she died.

Here is another interesting story. During Fifi's TV special on one of the Arabic channels, the host told Fifi that a duo will be dancing on the show, named Tito and Titi (this was the dancer in pink). Fifi said that she and her daughter also formed a duo at home, called Titi and Tata. (Fifi's real name is Atiyat, her friends and family call her "Titi". Atta' Allah's nickname is "Tata")

I suppose there is no chance of a 'Titi and Tata' duet any time soon? :D
:clap:Thank's Gypsy, it's nice to hear a great heart warming story about the goodness of the human heart, rather than all the gloom and doom around at the moment.
Also I had no idea Tahiya and Fifi were related how fascinating! Additionally it's nice to finally know the name of that dancer in Pink. So thank you for such an informative reply.

Sita

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

What did Fifi think of Tito and Titi?

gypsy8522

Fifi's fan page on face book.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fifi-Abdou#/pages/Fifi-Abdou/8787036121?ref=ts

I don't think she created this page, and I don't know who is the administrator of this page. Gypsy, can you tell which photos are close to her now? Is there any photos close to her now or most of them are old photos? You mentioned that she lost a lot of weight, so I just wonder.... :rolleyes:

I would like to see Titi (Fifi) and Tito's duet. :dance:

Thanks, Pirika. I particularly like the photos of her in abaya as I've never seen them before. I wonder which fashion show that was?

I also doubt that she uses facebook lol, although she did complain once that her younger daughter Hanadi is always online. A recent picture of her would be the one where she's wearing a red dress, but this was before she had lost more weight.

By the way, Sita, I finally recalled the name of the man she's married to. It's Mohamed Al Derawy, a Palestinian businessman from the Derawy family/village. He's her fifth and has been married to him for almost 22 years now. However, not ofen do you hear about him because he's never in the spotlight like her.

Pirika Repun

Dear Gypsy

Thanks. Ok. she lost a lot of weight. When she was young, she was not that big, so I think she can lose weight...

I saw the video that she wore green gallabiya(?) "masra7eyat-Rawayeh 2008 exclusive" if this is last year, she still can dance!!! I don't know how old is she now, but man, she can dance. It sounds like Saad's song...:think:
I found in YouTube! This is in 2008. ...just WOW....

Her shimmy is still there!!!