Belly dance songs??!!?

Shanazel

Super Moderator
This was Aniseteph's idea, spun off from another thread. What songs do people think we should belly dance to? Such as

Shake Your Booty

Shake Rattle and Roll

Wish That I could Shimmy Like My Sister Kate

Be sure to keep your tongue firmly in your cheek with this thread.;)

Aisha Azar

Song

Dear Gang,

"Stop, Stop Stop all the dancing", by the Hollies. I think it came out in about 1968. It's about a guy who goes into a club and there is a dancer there. He talks about her shaking her body, playing her cymbals. etc and how he feels less and less in control until eventually the bouncer has to toss him in the street!

Regards,
A'isha

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Snake Bite. I think that is the name of it anyway. "I'm not the one who's so far away when I feel the snake bite enter my vay-ee-yains."

The dancer I saw use this song locked eyes with a chosen male in the audience and smoldered like Theda Bara the entire time she danced. It was genuinely creepy. The chosen male literally moved his chair back about halfway through the dance.

jenc

Hippy, Hippy Shake by the Swinging Blue Jeans

and Shakin' All Over by Jonhhy Kid and the Pirates

Mya

Snake Bite. I think that is the name of it anyway. "I'm not the one who's so far away when I feel the snake bite enter my vay-ee-yains."

The dancer I saw use this song locked eyes with a chosen male in the audience and smoldered like Theda Bara the entire time she danced. It was genuinely creepy. The chosen male literally moved his chair back about halfway through the dance.
I believe that would be Voodoo by Godsmack.

Mya

Buttons by the Pussycat Dolls! There's a version that has a faux middle eastern sound to it. :confused:

shiradotnet

"Little Egypt", which Elvis sang in the movie Roustabout (now there's an example of craptastic dancing!) and which the Coasters also recorded.

For those who speak German, there's "Die Zuckerpuppe Aus der Bauchtanzgruppe"

And let us not forget "Egyptian Ella"

Aurelia

Honky Tonk Badonkadonk (my troupe actually has a choreography for this, for Halloween -- jeans, cowboy boots, coin belts, cholis and cowboy hats) :D

Aisha Azar

???????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dear Gang,
Or, how about vice versa? I am in the process of turning literally about 600 or so cassette tapes into CD's. I have been collecting them since the beginning of my dance life, wow, 35 years ago this July 1. Many of the cassettes have been given to me by friends when they were returning home to their various native countries. Recently I put one the tapes on cassette, and I heard quite possibly the WORST renditions of some American songs that you can imagine!!
Samir Surer does the theme from Dr. Shivago, and the theme from The Godfather..... complete with Beledi beat.
If you think the original version of "Feelings" was bad, you should hear the oud version!!
There is one saving grace on the whole cassette. They do a rousing version of "Happy Birthday" in English and Arabic and it is darling.

This is staying in my collection because it is a great example of just how wrong we can get it when dealing with other people's cultures. I shudder to think what some versions of Arab songs must sound like the them, when performed by well meaning but not culturally savvy westerners. Probably every bit as bad as that 80s Beledi version of the Godfather!!
Regards,
A'isha

Aisha Azar

Feeling on oud

Dear Shanazel,
I see this is the ultimate secret weapon of the future. Forcing an enemy to listen to "Feelings" on oud until they surrender should just about bring world peace on in record time.
Regards,
A'isha

PS: Feeeelings, plink, plink,plink, Feeeellings.....

Mya

For some reason i have vague memories of Nadia Gamal dancing to something that sounded like an orienticised version of a cowboy tune of some sorts - somebody must know what i'm talking about! But oh dear it was weeeeird; definitely one of those things that make you go "ummm...huh??"

shiradotnet

For some reason i have vague memories of Nadia Gamal dancing to something that sounded like an orienticised version of a cowboy tune of some sorts - somebody must know what i'm talking about! But oh dear it was weeeeird; definitely one of those things that make you go "ummm...huh??"
Yes, she performed to the theme song from the television show Bonanza, and did a funny little horsey hopping step across the stage. Imagine - leaning w-a-y back, one knee lifted to emulate a horse's leg being lifted, holding her hands as if holding reins, and hopping in this position on one foot across the stage - in high heels so high you'd think they might have given her a nosebleed.

I love that clip, and thoroughly enjoy showing it at video parties.

Aisha Azar

Happy Birthday

Dear Shira,
I think that is from one of his movies if I remember right. (Abby Bertday to YOU, Abby Bertday to YOU.) I LOVE his version. The version on this cassette is done in the typical 80s pop Beledi style. It's pretty fun, but Walid's version is my very favorite ever. I remember seeing the movie, but can;t remember a thing other than the song.
Yeah, isn't that N. Gamal tape a blast? I show it too, so that people can see it, along with Sahar Hamdi in her extremely YIKES cowboy hat, satin cowboy outfit, boots, etc. Ah, the 70s and 80s...
Regards,
A'isha

shiradotnet

I just had to go look. didn't I?

On the plus side it gets rid of imagining Feelings on the oud. But at such a terrible price...
Hee hee, happy to have given you something new to think about in your day!

I personally would prefer to think about "Die Zuckerpuppe" than about "Feelings" played on the oud. :D At least Die Zuckerpuppe has a nice, catchy melody and I don't have to think too hard about the lyrics!

(For those who don't speak German, we're talking about a perky little song titled, "The Sugar Doll in the Belly Dance Troupe"!)