2021 Worldwide Weather

Shanazel

Good morning and welcome to the new weather thread for those if us who care about such things as whether or not it is snowing on the other side of the world.

Currently 24 degrees in central Wyoming with a 16 mph wind. We had 75 mph gusts and 45 mph sustained winds along our brae yesterday. Last night it rained, then we had popcorn snow, then it changed to hard snow granules that morphed into flakes about the time the thunder started. Sidewalk into the museum is a mess this morning. Hoping the second application of salt will melt it enough by 10 to scrape the ice off.

Daimona

Wow! Variety in the Wyoming weather.

In my part of the world, it has been unusually stable and cold the past two weeks. Today -16C at home and -25C at my cabin. Sunny (for the few hours we had daylight) and no wind. Crisp snow on the ground. Both the eye lashes and nostril hairs get icy because of the moisture from the breath if you get outside and don't cover your face.

Shanazel

Weather news for today:

Authorities have tallied 18 blow-over crashes in southeast Wyoming amid winds that have reached speeds in excess of 100 mph.

Starting Tuesday, Wyoming has been blasted by winds that are high even for a region known for its powerful gusts. Winds in the 60 to 70 mph range have been reported around the state, with gust reaching 100 mph in some instances, National Weather Service figures show.

That windy weather has resulted in a string of crashes where gusts toppled high-profile vehicles like semitrucks.

Winds reached 86 mph near Fort Washakie, 81 mph near Muddy Gap and 79 mph close to Casper.

Other high winds in Wyoming included:

86 near Torrington;
82 in Douglas;
74 mph in Cody;
70 mph at the Buffalo Airport;
68 mph at the Riverton Airport; and
65 mph in Thermopolis.
Bit windy out there today... 👀

That wasn’t the only unusual weather phenomenon in Wyoming. Thundersnow was reported in the Casper area on Wednesday night.

The windy weather led to some road closures around the state. On Wednesday night, Interstate 80 was closed between Arlington and Laramie. Sections of I-80, I-90 and I-25 were also closed temporarily to light-high-profile vehicles.

Greek Bonfire

Such a variety in this country! I'm in Chicago, and so far we've had a rather mild winter according to Chicago standards. Last year we did too, which was one good thing about 2020.

Shanazel

Thundersnow is really cool, largely because it seems so incongruous. I've observed it maybe a dozen times in forty+ years in the Rocky Mountains, including the recent event.

Clear, cold, and relatively still at this moment, but give it five minutes and it might change. We're way down on moisture this year. Not good.

Suzanne Azhaar

It's gorgeous outside. (Forgot to check if Owlfred came home. Tiny screech owl at the neighbors. Enjoys the sun on his face during naps.) Dogs are happily snoozing after receiving cookies and I'm getting ready for Season 1, episode 9 of Shimmy. Life is good.

Ariadne

It snowed two nights ago and there is still snow on the hills. :) This makes me very happy. Now if only it could last longer.

Shanazel

We had snow this week. Today is clear but the wind is blowing the snow all over everything. I took the highway along the foot of the mountain today on the way home and there were ground blizzards from river valley (about 5100 feet) to the top of the mountain (8130 feet). I would not want to drive a high profile vehicle down that road today and was almost sorry I drove my car there except the sweep of scenery was so beautiful and so dramatic.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 6

Greek Bonfire

We got snow here in Chicago too. By me, we got seven inches, the nasty wet stuff and not the powder. We are getting another one this weekend. Plus it's COLD! Winter finally arrived but at least it's almost February!

Daimona

At my cabin last weekend it was app. 60 cm snow (where top 30 cm was extremely fluffy) and temperature right now is -18. At home, we've got a couple of inches of snow and -8. Just beautiful winter weather.

Shanazel

We could use some snow. Country is caught up in a drought and things are not good for wildlife or ranchers or gardeners.

Greek Bonfire

We could use some snow. Country is caught up in a drought and things are not good for wildlife or ranchers or gardeners.

Come here. We just had a snowstorm with significant accumulation, and we are getting an even bigger one this weekend. I honestly don't know where I am going to put it because we already have so much snow.

Shanazel

Not a good time for me to travel. Just pack up a few bajillion square yards of snow and mail it to Wyoming, why doncha?

Greek Bonfire

Well we are getting socked bad. We had another snowstorm over the weekend, at least a foot of it, and it was very heavy. This weekend we are getting socked with arctic weather. At least I'm not in New York where they are getting possibly two feet of snow.