150% off topic but I need help with using poblano peppers

Hi Creaks here.... Help...Tonight I am making a big batch of chili for friends tomorrow and found a great bargain on a pack of poblano chilis...okay some of them are a bit soft but... okay. So will use some in the chili but need some ideas on using the rest...maybe just roasting and freezing.... help:pray: Shanazel...perhaps you have some ideas. oh I have completely tainted my Norskie boy and he now likes the taste and heat of habanero peppers Creaks

Daimona

How about making
- pickled peppers?
- your own spices? (dry them and grind them)
- chili paste chili pesto or chili tapenade?
- pepper-oil? (put them in a jar of oil to give the oil a taste of pepper)

(or making a chili pepper costume.. ;) )

150% off topic

Takks Daimona...I like the idea of drying them I hadn't thought of that. Creaks So a chili pepper hello kitty costume..... i think not though it would be fun to sketch out.

Marya

Hi Creaks here.... Help...Tonight I am making a big batch of chili for friends tomorrow and found a great bargain on a pack of poblano chilis...okay some of them are a bit soft but... okay. So will use some in the chili but need some ideas on using the rest...maybe just roasting and freezing.... help:pray: Shanazel...perhaps you have some ideas. oh I have completely tainted my Norskie boy and he now likes the taste and heat of habanero peppers Creaks
Roasting is easy. Cut the tops off, pull out the seeds, throw them on a cookie sheet, put them in a hot oven 350 to 400 degrees. roast until a few black spots show up, turn once in a while. Flavor is wonderful. You can freeze them to preserve flavor after roasting but they will be mush and as such just fine for use in making a chili.

They are also easy to dry but unless you have a food dryer it is fussy and time consuming.

You can also just pour some vinegar over them in a canning jar and store in the refrigerator for years. This makes a hot accent for putting on Dominican STyle rice and beans.

Marya

Nath

I love roasting mine. Top and core them removing all seeds. I then use open flame to singe/roast the skins off. You can peel the burnt skin off leaving just the yummy flesh or leave some on to keep that singe flavor. After cooling I then put on a cookie sheet in the freezer. This freezes them as individual items. Once hard I put in plastic freezer bags and I can pull them out any time for chili, sauces, marinades, etc.

150% off topic

Thanks to all of you .... roasting it is. Just to let you know the chili really turned out well... I don't know how I ever made it without the poblano peppers. they're incredible. Creaks :D Happy Feeder of Friends and Bellydancer.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
I'm lazy. I just freeze mine with no other preparation and pull them out when I need them.

Sorry to take so long to answer- my computer was invaded by a virus and my computer guru won't be back until after Turkey Day. I came into work on a Sunday to do my moderating duties- hope you all are impressed by my dedication. :cool:

150% off topic

Yes your devotion is muchly admired. Just freezing is good too. Oh noble Southern Lady I also apologize...made cornbread but made it in the style that is considered the Yankee abomination... and not only that did in the Greek luncheonette version... sugar and a hit of orange extract.... forgive this benighted perverter of cornbread :lol: Creaks

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Honey, you just plain can't help yourself and there's no use in fretting about it. If God made you a Yankee, then you're a Yankee, and not even learning to make decent cornbread is going to change that. Just embrace your roots and do as best as you can, poor girl.

Ariadne

I normally dry 'em if they are not too soft! Just string the up on da kitchen wall... woooohooo!!!!!
That is what my grandfather did. He would have them strung all over the house and between the red of the peppers and the green of the leaves it would look like he had decorated for Christmas.

I don't know if it will help but my favorite use for Poblano Chilies is in Chili Relleno Casserole. I use either roasted or canned chilies and layer them in a casserole dish with beaten eggs (where you beat the white separately to a stiff peak, flavor the beaten yolks, and then fold the two together) and cheese, then bake. It's a fast version of the usual stuffed chilies that can feed a lot.

BTW Orange extract in corncake? I have never heard of that. :think:

150% ot

That casserole sounds goooooood. Yeah orange extract in the cornbread... years ago there was a little Greek luncheonette and they had the best corn muffins and they had a hint of orange in them... eventually I figured out that they used orange extract. (I am embracing my NY-ness Shanazel... but I like grits and cornmeal mush though in the family we go by the Romanian name - mamaliga (or un-gentryfied polenta). Damonia... loved the cartoon... :lol:

Nath

try a coating of the roasted and then pulverized peppers on fish, like tuna and put on the grill. Yummy. Or make a marinate with some lime juice and the roasted peppers to use on fish like Talapia. My mind is working slowly this weekend, probably in a turkey induced torpor.

Ariadne

That casserole sounds goooooood.
It is. I can't take the credit though as I got the recipe from my aunt. She made it for us once when we were visiting and I refused to leave without it.
Yeah orange extract in the cornbread... years ago there was a little Greek luncheonette and they had the best corn muffins and they had a hint of orange in them... eventually I figured out that they used orange extract.
Really? About how much? I just may have to try that. I am not a southern girl but normally I like my cornbread southern style and can't stand corncake at all. Maybe it would make a difference. It's worth a try.