Yet another odd question...

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Since much of what I do with regards to our dance is generally considered the purvey of the Distaff side of the store so to speak, I've always asked for advice on such things. As a teacher of mine once said, "We were born to this, you're having to play catch-up.".

Therefore: I find myself with the strong possibility of having to shave my legs for the first time in my life. My wife says my legs are gonna itch horribly when my leg hair grows back in. Comments? Mitigation strategies?

Daimona

Winter is coming, hairy legs will help keep your legs warm.

But if you really have to remove the hair on your legs, treat your legs with some skin peeling and moisturizer. This goes wether you shave, use chemicals, wax or epilators. (And this probably the only tip I'd be able to give in this section)

Shanazel

If you want to shave your legs, shave them, but don't feel like you need to do it to achieve the next level of acceptance from the distaff side.

The procedure that worked best for me: a) take a good hot shower; b) while the stall is still steamy, smear a nice brand of moisturizing shaving gel on the target area; c) using a brand new (it's your first time, after all) safety razor, carefully draw the blade from ankle upward along your leg, being careful not to nick skin over ankle bones or shins. (Never mind when you bloody yourself up anyway- takes practice.); d) rinse razor after each stroke; e) repeat until shaving job is complete; f) rinse skin well with running water; g) pat dry and lavish a high quality lotion on the shaved area to prevent dry out unless you've managed to shave too close and have given yourself razor rash which will sting like the dickens no matter what you do to it.

Note: when hewing down virgin stands of hair, it may take a couple of times to achieve a perfect clear cut. I never noticed any grow-out itching, but that probably varies from person to person (I was going to say "probably varies between legs" but that sounds a tad suggestive since we're not discussing bikini waxing yet).

Good luck.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Not doing it for acceptance - its just because the costume I'm contemplating shows a LOT of leg, and nobody wants to look at hairy legs. Will probably be the first, last, and only time I do this, but "gotta do it once". I'm being a bit brave as this is for a non real-time virtual hafla - Turkish dance, Turkish costume!

But thanx both for the advice, it mirrors what I've read elsewhere although I hadn't thought of waxing. I'm in for my monthly facial and eyebrow waxing in a couple of days, I'll ask my esthetician.

But what's this "winter" thing you speak of? ;)

Last edited:

Ariadne

Ok, so since I rarely shave my legs (I’m just lazy and don’t bother unless I’m wearing shorts) I will add to what Shanazel said and add you will want to use short strokes and have a vessel of water to rinse the blade in frequently to get rid of the long hairs. You will also probably need two razors per leg as they will dull quickly on the longer hair. Also remember that just like when shaving your face taut skin is your friend when it comes to avoiding razor burn. Lastly, alum works wonders to stop bleeding.

Good luck.

Shanazel

What Tourbeau said! Also keeps one warmer when dancing during that thing called "winter." Winter is like a Florida summer, Zorba, just lots colder and with ice and snow.

Had my legs waxed once and was disappointed with the results since shaving actually gave me a smoother surface. The woman who did the job for me explained it would take a couple of times to catch hairs that were growing out and were too short for the wax to catch. While that is probably true, waxing is expensive and I decided I'd rather spend the money on something else.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
You could just wear opaque theatrical tights, and skip the ordeal. Look for convertible or footless if you're dancing without shoes.
eeeeh, not at "cabaret distances". I have tights, for a Greek Dance costume - not the same look. Never mind that they're HOT!

Tourbeau

Since when are dance costumes about comfort? Tops, bottoms, accessories--everything seems designed to maximize misery in order to look pretty while avoiding a wardrobe malfunction.

You do you, but I'd have figured you for someone who would have seen the potential of decorated leggings, especially when they're not any worse than layering polyester harem pants under a polyester circle skirt.

This guy's working a layered, covered-leg costume...

)

Shanazel

I know what ice is, its that stuff I put in my Coca-Cola to keep it cool. But what's this "snow" of which you speak? ;)

NOT the stuff that bad guys used and sold on shows like Miami Vice, which should never be confused with Miami Ice.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Since when are dance costumes about comfort? Tops, bottoms, accessories--everything seems designed to maximize misery in order to look pretty while avoiding a wardrobe malfunction.

You do you, but I'd have figured you for someone who would have seen the potential of decorated leggings, especially when they're not any worse than layering polyester harem pants under a polyester circle skirt.

This guy's working a layered, covered-leg costume...

)
My point is that "it ain't the same". As for a comfortable costume, what's that? ;)

Ariadne

Dude, Snow Cones are the best! They were my absolute favorite in the summer when I was a child. Shaved ice covered in syrup. The syrups are, of course, sugar syrup with artificial flavoring and now I prefer syrups made with fruit juice but still, yum! I'll bet you could find somewhere that sells them down there.