Yemeni Dance, Video !!!

Maria_Aya

Hi there:)
Just found this video from youtube, and it shows Yemeni Dance.
For me its the first time to see this kind of dance and its very interesting.
I know that Yemeni is a very closed place and I have a friend that traveled there, in high danger, just to be near a window that he saw at a National Geografic (yes crazy people have nut friends lol) he said to me that he didnt saw any women dancing (hardly saw women), but the one woman he saw was in the airport (policewoman) wearing hijab or something, and he felt chills only with her eyelook ;)
So heres the video:

Maria Aya :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Aisha Azar

Yemeni dance

Dear Aya,
As I was watching the clip, I got confused because the hats the men were wearing in the audience are worn in Oman. I used to have an Omani friend who gave me one of his when he went home. I looked it up and the film was shot at a festival in Oman. I thought the dance was wonderful!! Too bad Jalilah Zamorah does not belong to this forum since she lived in Yemen at one time and might be able to tell us about the dance.
Thanks for sharing!
Love,
A'isha

LeylaLanty

Yeah, I didn't recognize the hats as Yemeni either. The dance style is much lighter and "swingy" (side to side movements) than most of the Yemeni dancing i've seen done by men and women at several Yemeni weddings I've attended in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Dear Aya,
As I was watching the clip, I got confused because the hats the men were wearing in the audience are worn in Oman. I used to have an Omani friend who gave me one of his when he went home. I looked it up and the film was shot at a festival in Oman. I thought the dance was wonderful!! Too bad Jalilah Zamorah does not belong to this forum since she lived in Yemen at one time and might be able to tell us about the dance.
Thanks for sharing!
Love,
A'isha