Will I ever be acceptable?

Greek Bonfire

This thread started as a response to comments by a (no longer) member of the forum that because she was an American of Turkish origin, she knew "the way" and the rest of us were....well read into it what you may.
It was sadly not about what we may think of each other:D:D
I had also read some dreadful and frankly racist comments by American dancers of Arabic origin and by an Arabic belly dancer who passed very negative comment about Westerners interested in belly dance.This is
contrary to the reaction of Brits of Arabic origin who don't seem to see a problem.
That's unfortunate - isn't imitation the best form of flattery? How would she like it if we saw her adopting western dance and told her how she didn't have the flare for it either? Of course, we would be called capitalist superior westerners, and be expected to take that on the chin. What a double standard?

Nejmeh

Haven`t read the whole tread, just a couple of pages, so this probably has already been said. If so, sowwy!

I have the arab blood. Big whoop, I am not rhytmic, my body doesn`t bend in different shapes then yours(if so, yours will bend more I think), I don`t even understand the language that well. For me, it wás part of returning to my roots, but I also realised bd was a stylished form of arab culture. I respect those who respect that and I have great admiration for all of you willing to learn. For me personally, I do feel somewhat flattered that you all have different interest then finding out which one of my relatives could be the terrorist and which cities 'my'people are going to bomb this week(answer to both is none btw!), which is a nice change in these days!
I find these kind of statements of arabs always a bit tricky(for themselves). First of all, arabs cannot even make up between themselves, just ask any m.easterner where baklava came from and you`ll get different answers. Second, ok, so what its arabic and you are not? Does that also mean the arab isn`t allowed to listen to rap because it`s 'black'? Should the arb not be allowed to do a tango? Should my very dutch boyfriend only listen to dutch 'smartlappen'(trust me on this one, not good) because he is dutch?

Greek Bonfire

Haven`t read the whole tread, just a couple of pages, so this probably has already been said. If so, sowwy!

I have the arab blood. Big whoop, I am not rhytmic, my body doesn`t bend in different shapes then yours(if so, yours will bend more I think), I don`t even understand the language that well. For me, it wás part of returning to my roots, but I also realised bd was a stylished form of arab culture. I respect those who respect that and I have great admiration for all of you willing to learn. For me personally, I do feel somewhat flattered that you all have different interest then finding out which one of my relatives could be the terrorist and which cities 'my'people are going to bomb this week(answer to both is none btw!), which is a nice change in these days!
I find these kind of statements of arabs always a bit tricky(for themselves). First of all, arabs cannot even make up between themselves, just ask any m.easterner where baklava came from and you`ll get different answers. Second, ok, so what its arabic and you are not? Does that also mean the arab isn`t allowed to listen to rap because it`s 'black'? Should the arb not be allowed to do a tango? Should my very dutch boyfriend only listen to dutch 'smartlappen'(trust me on this one, not good) because he is dutch?
:clap: Wells said, Nejmeh!