Will I ever be acceptable?

lizaj

To second Sita.
Our tabloid rags consistently rub home the superiority-complex we Brits have and which is still live and well. Hence people vote for the BNP,deride others' manners and customs,reinforce our right to interfer in others' countries.Careless and thoughtless racist remarks still happen although I do think most people have been put off discrimination not only by the law but learning to live with newer immigrants.

Surely global brand economics is another form of imperialism led by the Americans but who are not alone. We hold the developing world in a stranglehold. Having changed their economies with our colonisation, they are beholden to the large conglomerates who control the price of primary products.
I was born at a time when the Empire was still flickering.I remember Empire Day,globes in classrooms with lots of red blobs. My father loved Egypt, talked with great admiration of the men he befriended there but could utter the typical British squaddie talk about "natives"! Girls' books were full of heroic explorers and missionaries "saving black babies".
We have moved on but still the media tells us how inferior Johnny Foreigner is...
On a lighter note ... this nation of ours can't even talk nicely about our nearest neighbour......we've hated them since the 11th century and it shows no sign of abating.......

khanjar

The only thing a continued imperialist view of the world serves as it did so in the past, is the extreme minority, those with a vested interest in pillaging a country for their own ends, be that wealth, or political power, which eventually leads to wealth.

The people of a country, the plebs, the minions, those of which most of us here represent, we have been told, and still get told the usual fairy stories, about the bogeyman under the bed, at one time, it was the Spaniard, then the French, then the German, then the Turk, then the Communist, then the Irish, and now followers of Islam, we it seems have always got to have an enemy, when the reality is if left to our own devices, we would just get along fine and treat others how we would like to be treated ourselves. But our masters do now, what they have always done, educate us to their way of thinking to benefit them in taxes and manpower, without which they could do nothing.

The biggest mistake our masters ever made, was to educate us, enable us to think for ourselves and there make our own decisions. They are loosing their grip, but we still have it I suppose, the mentality, something continuously shored up by an ignorant self serving media.

It seems in Britain at least, the majority enjoy the ridicule of others, not the admiration.

Newspapers, long ago I saw their mentality, and there decided, why waste trees on rubbish and lies, I don't read newspapers, and what news I do glean, I find from world outlets, always to get a varying view of the circumstances as they are presented.

Media controls our thought, break free of media.

TribalDancer

Media does not control our thought. We control our thought. Media can inform, for good or for ill. The key is to seek out diverse viewpoints, diverse forms of media from many different sources, and decide for ourselves.

jenc

On a lighter note ... this nation of ours can't even talk nicely about our nearest neighbour......we've hated them since the 11th century and it shows no sign of abating.......[/quote}
Is that the Welsh?

lizaj

The only thing a continued imperialist view of the world serves as it did so in the past, is the extreme minority, those with a vested interest in pillaging a country for their own ends, be that wealth, or political power, which eventually leads to wealth.

The people of a country, the plebs, the minions, those of which most of us here represent, we have been told, and still get told the usual fairy stories, about the bogeyman under the bed, at one time, it was the Spaniard, then the French, then the German, then the Turk, then the Communist, then the Irish, and now followers of Islam, we it seems have always got to have an enemy, when the reality is if left to our own devices, we would just get along fine and treat others how we would like to be treated ourselves. But our masters do now, what they have always done, educate us to their way of thinking to benefit them in taxes and manpower, without which they could do nothing.

The biggest mistake our masters ever made, was to educate us, enable us to think for ourselves and there make our own decisions. They are loosing their grip, but we still have it I suppose, the mentality, something continuously shored up by an ignorant self serving media.

It seems in Britain at least, the majority enjoy the ridicule of others, not the admiration.

Newspapers, long ago I saw their mentality, and there decided, why waste trees on rubbish and lies, I don't read newspapers, and what news I do glean, I find from world outlets, always to get a varying view of the circumstances as they are presented.

Media controls our thought, break free of media.
A very large majority of the male population of this country was very happy in the past to join in the pillaging because it meant they ate!
This country built its' industry because it had a captive market and controlled the seas with its' navy. Don't tell me Mr and Mrs ordinary Working Class didn't reap some benefit from that . They prefered the trek to the factory, mine or mill to starvation.
Yes now we are educated but I am sorry I don't believe that there isn't a considerable number of people who don't care about people in the developing world, don't give a shi$ about the environment ( just look as gas-guzzling 4X4s), who are ready to blame Muslims, Eastern Europeans, Asylum Seekers et for all our ills. You only have to see people nodding their heads as they read their Daily Mails.
The attitude of even lowly Brits that we are God's chosen still prevails amongst high and low.

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Westerners tend to be precious over their own language and terminology but dont mind labelling things belonging to others, and then make sweeping generalisations and stating it as fact. It is not ethically or morally correct.
Well, I've got gob and mush down, but I'm sorry, Caroline, I don't understand what you mean about being precious over language and terminology. Please explain?

lizaj

Well, I've got gob and mush down, but I'm sorry, Caroline, I don't understand what you mean about being precious over language and terminology. Please explain?
overly protective..pernickety..pick you up on the slightest error....

Caroline_afifi

Thanks Liz,

The Brits in general tend to be very protective of the language, so much so, they discriminate over dialects within it's own country.

If you give something an incorrect description or belittle something of heritage expect to know about it.

Homepage

This is now a major organisation and the 'Crystal mark' is now stamped on most Police and government documents.

Sita

Thanks Liz,

The Brits in general tend to be very protective of the language, so much so, they discriminate over dialects within it's own country.

If you give something an incorrect description or belittle something of heritage expect to know about it.

Homepage

This is now a major organisation and the 'Crystal mark' is now stamped on most Police and government documents.
I'd love to see their faces when they come across the english spelling reform debtes:dance::lol:
Besides language is fluid you can't do anything to stop it evolving and with an empire and people been forced english, we now have various englishes - one of my favourites is Nigerian english - I can't believe how they make it flow so well :dance: There's also no greater thrill than swearing in Irish english - you get to infuse the words with real feeling. ;)

Sita

Shanazel

Super Moderator
Thanks for the explanation. Maybe my accent and Americanisms were the reasons for all the frowns and stolid looks I incurred at Heathrow. :lol:

lizaj

I'd love to see their faces when they come across the english spelling reform debtes:dance::lol:
Besides language is fluid you can't do anything to stop it evolving and with an empire and people been forced english, we now have various englishes - one of my favourites is Nigerian english - I can't believe how they make it flow so well :dance: There's also no greater thrill than swearing in Irish english - you get to infuse the words with real feeling. ;)

Sita
Agreed F*cking is so much more fluid and fun than f*cking..oooer...well you know what I'm saying....

I can't stand in written English how we now have "," alongside a conjunction..since ,when?

khanjar

The only people that tend to keep their accents, or language as they learned it, are people that stay in their birth locale, and meet no other than the people they grew up with. Language, and accents change, they are constantly changing, taking on new words and new ways of speaking, and to me, that is good, as we are evolving. The more new people we come into contact and communication with, the more we evolve, our language is an indication of that. I used to be conservative about language, but I never really had a definable accent, certainly not amongst those I knew, up there on the fringe of Scouseland. I had at the time, a 'posh' accent, as it was from Lancastrian and Devonshire parentage. Since then, I have moved throughout the uk, and spent years in some areas, obviously picking up local lingo from those I came into contact with. To name some accents that I do know about, they include, Scouse, Essex, Thames Valley, Brummy and now back to Devonshire.

leb_American

I don't know how it is in Egypt but when I was on vacation in lebanon they would be thrilled at a foreign person that wanted to learn about their culture and their ways. They were actually tougher on me then they were to foreigners because of the fact that I have lebanese parents and while I could understand all lebanese spoken to me, My lebanese speaking was very poor. Maybe it depends on the country you live in.

Emma_Williams

as a student you teach us how to dance but why I always respect you as a performer and a teacher is because you know your stuff...you know the culture...you always tell us students what is considered appropiate and not appropiate, you only ever use ME/BD music. This is why your a fab teacher...I could go anywhere to learn to dance but with you I feel your the real mccoy...you know your stuff and you have nothing but respect and admiration for the culture that surrounds BD. Yes you are acceptable. Being born with a bit of ME in your blood does not make you any more worthy to dance this beautiful dance then anyone else. My friend Ozgen is from Turkey and is surrounded by bellydance music and costuming but she cant dance. She wouldnt get more praise just because she is turkish then you or anyone else dancing to a crowd. Stop fretting woman!!!

lizaj

This thread started as a response to comments by a (no longer) member of the forum that because she was an American of Turkish origin, she knew "the way" and the rest of us were....well read into it what you may.
It was sadly not about what we may think of each other:D:D
I had also read some dreadful and frankly racist comments by American dancers of Arabic origin and by an Arabic belly dancer who passed very negative comment about Westerners interested in belly dance.This is
contrary to the reaction of Brits of Arabic origin who don't seem to see a problem.

Eve

This thread started as a response to comments by a (no longer) member of the forum that because she was an American of Turkish origin, she knew "the way" and the rest of us were....well read into it what you may.
I had also read some dreadful and frankly racist comments by American dancers of Arabic origin and by an Arabic belly dancer who passed very negative comment about Westerners interested in belly dance.This is
contrary to the reaction of Brits of Arabic origin who don't seem to see a problem.
perhaps because we're such a mongrel 'race'.:cool:

Sita

I wonder how the influx of non M.E dancers into the M.E will effect this? or the dance in general?:think:

Sita

Habib

Ah but she got one fan at least;)
Now, this one fan of Kelli Belly is no longer a fan, that was a year ago I posted that. Allot has changed. Not only is she for profit like bellyqueen stated, she also is extremly rude. Kelli needs to learn to be respectfull towards other belly dancers, her students and fans. Because she lost my respect 100%, and me as a fan, when she started acting rude towards me. Very pretty, has a good act for her shows together..but seem to be not the niciest person and does things to give a bad name to belly dance

BellyQueen is right! Lisa J don't compare yourself to her!

Last edited:

Chani

The OP made me sad. To quote another:

YouTube - Artie - Safety Dance - Glee

We can dance if we want to
We can leave your friends behind
Cause your friends don't dance
And if they don't dance
Well they're no friends of mine
Say, we can go where we want to
A place where they will never find
And we can act like we come from out of this world