Who's your favorite belly dancer revisited

Ariadne

Oh.... good question.

My currant favorite dancer is not native. I like her dancing because she does Turkish style and she does it well. As a none native dancer myself it's nice to see that someone else who isn't native can perform to that level and it gives me an example to shoot for. There is also the issue that very few dancers from Turkey actually dance that style these days, most of them are influenced by Egyptian and Lebanese styles instead. There are a few of them who do perform Turkish style and I enjoy watching them as well but sometimes I feel like those other influences are still bleeding in, which isn't surprising since the dance scene there is so connected.

I really don't feel that the best belly dancer does have to be a native mainly because you can't just point at one person, there are too many styles. If you are going to limit it to just the native styles though I do think you have to take into account sheer hard work. I see no reason someone who works very hard at their craft cannot succeed in being just as good as the native ones and compete at their level and I think some of them succeed in doing just that. At that point it becomes a matter of personal preference, nothing more.

When we name the best dancers of the golden age we don't list just one. We can't help but name them all from Soheir Zaki to Fifi. I think that in a decade or two if someone makes a new list of the best dancers of our age there will be several none native as well as the native dancers on it.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I have many faves - but I'd have to say my very favorite is Fahtiem. Non native, I really don't care...

Jane

So what made you pick Fahtiem Zorba? What qualities do you value in her as a performance artist?

Shanazel

When we name the best dancers of the golden age we don't list just one. We can't help but name them all from Soheir Zaki to Fifi. I think that in a decade or two if someone makes a new list of the best dancers of our age there will be several none native as well as the native dancers on it.

This.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
So what made you pick Fahtiem Zorba? What qualities do you value in her as a performance artist?

Aside from pure technique - which her's is STELLAR - she is just a CLASS act. Both onstage and off. Very gracious and giving/caring, never anything vulgar or crude, and most of all she's REAL.

She can also dance me into the deck, and stomp on my bloody remains. Her stamina is legendary.

Last edited: