What is the most dangerous belly dance style?

natesfeliz

I have seen belly dancing with swords and ropes and so on, Its so hot I want to start it but i dont know what style it is?:( can anyone help?

shiradotnet

I have seen belly dancing with swords and ropes and so on, Its so hot I want to start it but i dont know what style it is?

The most dangerous belly dance style is the one where you make yourself emotionally vulnerable by expressing true, honest emotion as part of your dance. That vulnerability is extremely dangerous.

inesko

I don't understand if you want to know which style is the most dangerous or in which style you can use sword?

natesfeliz

Shiradotnet, yeah, that is so true, but I meant more where do you use swords and ropes and etc :) thanks though!:)

inesko, well, now that we established that the most dangerous is the emotional vulnearable dance, I mean the one where we can use swords :)

Thanks!:)

Jane

Fire sword dance on cracked Moroccan glasses over a bed of nails flooded with hot lava during rush hour traffic in L.A. Be sure to wear a very thought provoking belly dance costume.

Amulya

LOL :lol::lol::lol:

I think where a lot of gymnastics come into view, some dancers do splits, crazy backbends etc. They can cause serious injuries. But of course there are dancers who are physically very strong and for them it is no issue (Rachel Brice for example, but if I would try such a backbend, they can ship me off to hospital :lol:)

Shanazel

Ropes? Someone belly dances with ropes? Please tell me you are not referring to Shakira and her sexy little thing with the jump rope.

Have to disagree about the most physically dangerous dance, Jane and Amulya. That has to be any dance done at Buffalo Chip Campground in Sturgis, SD during Bike Week. I suggest dancing not only with a sword but perhaps an M-16 as well.

Jane

How about performing Burlesque Tribal Fusion at Ahlan Wa Sahlan? You could get gang beat with assayas. Could be pretty dangerous IMO.

Ozgen does a rope dance thing. Ya rly & srsly. ;)

shiradotnet

I have seen belly dancing with swords and ropes and so on, Its so hot I want to start it but i dont know what style it is?:( can anyone help?

In 30 years I've been belly dancing, I've only ever seen two people dance with ropes. One was a dancer on a bondage fetish video who twirled her rope around sort of the way folkloric dancers twirl a cane, and the other was the Turkish dancer Ozgen who just played around with his rope to be silly.

There is no such thing as "rope belly dance", though a couple of dancers have fooled around with one just for the sake of doing something out of the ordinary.

inesko

I may not be born in America so my english is not that good, but I think she wants to know in which style she can use sword.
You can use sword in any style. You should dance to slower and more dramatic music. I wouldn't reccomend Egyptian music because floorwork is not proper in any Egyptian style .In Turksih style on Chiftetelli or any slow rhythm.
I hope that helped :)

Aniseteph

Caroline, it's like you read my mind. Ozgen is 100% awesomeness IMO and can fool about with ropes, whatever.... :D

shiradotnet

This is not usually my sort of thing but I have to confess I do have a soft spot for Ozgen.

I find him very entertaining, he is a stunning guy and a really nice person.. so I guess am am slighly biased here.

YouTube - More Ozgen at IBCC 2008 from the Gilded Serpent

Yes, I saw that performance in person, and it was excellent! My note above wasn't meant as an attack on him, just an attempt to point out that there is no style of belly dance that is "rope dance" - it was just one person playfully adding a prop into a performance for theatrical effect.

natesfeliz

I have seen a couple of times where people use ropes. and no not shakira, that wasnt very dangerous, was it ? hahah but it was more like tying yourself while dancing, it is hard to explain, but it looked so good i want to try it one time! Maybe I will just use my imagination when im good enough and come up with something on my own:)
I have danced so far almost a year and I must say I fell in love with the dance. I have a long history in all kinds of dances, ever since I was born. Now I am 20 years old and I have never loved a dance more than I love bellydance!:)

Thank you to you all for your kind responses:)

Shanazel

Glad to have you on the forum! You might like to slip over to the meet and greet subforum, say hello to everyone, and share some more about yourself. You didn't mind our lapse into dangerous dance silliness- obviously you are one of us. ;)

natesfeliz

Thank you Shanazel! I have not yet fully gone through the forum and got to know what we have here, but I will soon!:) Thank you!:)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Ummm, why would you seek to do something dangerous? ;)Having said that anything can be dangerous, you can slip and fall and break a bone, trip over a veil, become tied into knots in your veil, you could even dance off the stage in bad lighting. I think the most dangerous for me would be dancing with a snake and the irate thing wrapping itself around my neck or elsewhere and strangling me:D maybe that is where rope dancing came in, someone wanted to dance with a snake was a bit nervous about that and decided to try to fool everyone with a rope. Then there is dancing with candles, fire could be a problem, personally I think swords are much more preferable over snakes & fire. One of my cats doesn't mind a bit of bellydancing around the house, he'll sit on my shoulder, the other cat thinks I am a total looney tunes and won't have a bar of it:D
~Mosaic