what belly dance style is Shakira?

Artemocion Malta

Hmm Many of Shakira´s choreographies and movements which belong to the belly dance field are actually from Bozenka ( they even have photos together) so the mixture might be her invention but the few autenthic belly dance moves she puts in are actually from the choreographies that Bozenka does for her. When I was 16 I thought she danced belly dance of its own sort but now I just see her doing movements from belly dance here and there, having said that I like her dancing but only for commerical videos, I wouldnt want to see a long show of her dancing without singing, for that we have SADIE(American Cabaret Oriental), RANDA(Classical Egy); DIDEM (Turkish Oriental) AND RACHEL(Tribal), amongst otheras. And for that, we are glad.

Bozenka

RahimaMJR

Hmm Many of Shakira´s choreographies and movements which belong to the belly dance field are actually from Bozenka ( they even have photos together) so the mixture might be her invention but the few autenthic belly dance moves she puts in are actually from the choreographies that Bozenka does for her.

I didn't mean to imply that she creates her own movements. Obviously she (as well as any other pop star) has worked with choreographers and dancers who will have given her movements, whether from bd, hip hop, Latin styles or whatever. I just meant the final product, how she expresses herself through her body...is a result of something unique to her...but in the end, isn't all dancing a unique representation of ourselves, even if we have shared movements, stylings, influences?

Greek Bonfire

I didn't mean to imply that she creates her own movements. Obviously she (as well as any other pop star) has worked with choreographers and dancers who will have given her movements, whether from bd, hip hop, Latin styles or whatever. I just meant the final product, how she expresses herself through her body...is a result of something unique to her...but in the end, isn't all dancing a unique representation of ourselves, even if we have shared movements, stylings, influences?

I do agree with you in that her style is pretty much her own as she does fuse a lot of styles together, not just bellydance. The problem is that she calls it bellydance when it's really a mix of everything, thus misrepresenting her dance for what it really is - total fushion.

Not to be miscontrued as total confusion although I think the public is just that on her style of dance.

RahimaMJR

Not to be miscontrued as total confusion although I think the public is just that on her style of dance.

Lol, agreed! I wasn't aware that Shakira talked about her belly dancing in the present tense and explained it as such (what I've heard is her talking about how she learned at a young age and that's how she discovered her love of performance and being on the stage, in any capacity).