Warm up

Madeline

How long do you warm up before dancing? Do you do it before performing? Do you do the same routine every time? What do you do in your warm up?

Maria_Aya

Warm up is according to what will happen after.
For a class for example, I give certain warmup as the subject of the class.
Ofcourse there is a general warm-up everytime, with breathing, stretching, fast warmup (cardio), etc.

For a performance a short 5 min warm-up is at least necessery. If the dancer is gonna do something extra-ordinary (like a deep back bend) its NEEDED a very good warm-up of the spine etc.

Advice, never ever dance without a warmup, for class or performance.

Maria Aya:)

Mihrimah Ghaziya

Hi !

In class, I always make the same warm-up with my students, alwyas on the same music, it's like a ritual.
I make a quick part, which is choreographed, where the arms, the shoulders, the coordination and the ankles are trained.
Then, I warm up on the floor
-back
-sides
-torso and hips
-back of the tigh
-front of the thigh
-calves
-immer thigh
-neck

Before a performance I try to mobilise the same muscles, without rolling on the floor...:)

Gia al Qamar

Class warm ups are head to toe.
For me as a performer, even in the SMALLEST of backstage areas, I will do a full back stretch, front and back thigh, neck and warm up my rotator cuffs (in the shoulders). If I have a (sigh) dressing room, I do a more lengthy warm up and hit all the areas where I'll need the greatest range of motion, like my hip flexors etc.
BTW...I also do a full warm up at home before leaving if time permits...I find that when I'm due to dance somewhere where they have no time or room for warm-ups, the pre-warm up really helps!
Gia

Salome

Administrator
I do a cardio warm up that lasts 10 minutes. It begins at a gentle speed and gradually increases in intensity as each minute passes. I do a pulse in place, lifting the heels off the floor alternately, an undulating walk, walk in releve, a saidi step that I travel with, quick step together step, grape vine, shimmy, fast walk in releve, and a pulse in place double time... Before performance I do some ballistic stretches after I warm up.

Kharmine

At home, I bounce on a small trampoline to music for 10-20 minutes. It gets the juices flowing and loosens up my muscles nicely. Plus, it's fun, and it's hard to stay grouchy when you're bouncing!