Video clips of me(male dancer) performing

T

Tera-Byte

removed

Delete this thread. I'm done with this forum.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Your enthusiasm is laudable, your costuming appropriate, and you have the makings of a good entertainer. But belly dance? No. There's more to it than snake arms, not freezing up in front of an audience, and showing personality. Call what you do now freestyle fusion and spend some more time studying middle eastern dance before you declare yourself a belly dancer. Good luck and keep working at it.

T

Tera-Byte

Your choice of words and judgement of me from watching a few minutes of video of me is crass and condescending. I never declared anything and even said that I'm new. I never stated or even implied that snake arms or any other individual movements or aspects is all you need for Bellydance. Even if you really believed that I thought this, there are more reasonable ways to explain a different opinion to me.

Do I remind you of someone you encountered who tried to exploit this genre of dance? Do I come off as some kind of alpha male who is trying to glorify himself?

A more supportive person would explain to me what I should do and improve on. Not have him or herself be the one to decide who is and isn't a Bellydancer. Your assuming of that role is an immature display of superiority behavior. I'm not sure exactly what in your mind compelled you to make the reply you made. Maybe you were in a certain mood. Maybe you would have posted something entirely different if you did it on another day. But what you did post is not what I'm here for. There is no need to think of Bellydance as some title that people declare on themselves or other individuals. The criteria for such an idea like that would be far too debatable to collectively decide on.

By stating this, I'm not avoiding or dismissing any real, constructive, and well intentioned advice. I get plenty of that with the teachers I study with.

Now pardon me if I sound a bit crass myself, but you're a Moderator here. That's a role you legitimately have here so please delete this thread when you're done reading this.

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
I'm sorry you feel hurt and want to remove yourself from the forum completely. It is always a risk to put yourself out there on video. Some like it, some may not like it.

Of course you are free to leave the forum whenever you like, but I think that a calmer response from your side might have cleared it up and made you not feel so bad about it. It might even have made you want to stay.

Best of luck with your continued dance-life.

Last edited:

Shanazel

Good lord, what a flapdoodle. If you are going to come unglued every time you solicit input and and don't receive complete approbation in return you are in for a rough ride.

Yes, you mentioned you were new. I have been dancing and/or teaching for over three decades. My professional opinion of the dances you posted is that they are fusion and not belly dance. If you make a genuine study of belly dance you might make a belly dancer. Stomping your feet and scaring the horses over a single post that is not completely positive will get you no where.

Hope you reconsider running off, but if not, good luck to you.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I didn't have a chance to see the clip in question, but "You gotta be tough to work the waterfront (Internet).".

I'm frequently in disagreement with SOMEONE - it just human nature!

Everyone needs to calm down. Who cares what you call the dance that you are doing, as long as your heart and your mind are happy. Make love, not war.