Video clip of Turkish Hocheck dancers

Tarik Sultan

Hello group. My name is Tarik Sultan and I am a youtubeaholic!:(

Accidentally found a clip of Kocheck dancers on youtube. They were the public dancers during the Ottoman period as women were required to perform indoors for women only. The tradition died out in Istanbul with the decline of the Empire, but survived in remote rural locations.

Most people persist in the claim that they were/are female impersonaters, however, as I've said many times, this is not tottally true. Turkish women dont wear skirts like this, this is a dance costume. Besides, it doesn't take much investigation to see that if these guys are trying to impersonate women, they ain't trying too hard.

I haven't seen them dance this energetic, but the abdominal work is typical.
I love the 21st century!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvhy3qtwO9Q

Freya

Dear Tarik,
Please do not recover from your addiction :D
Loved it, absolutely loved it! A good friend of mine from Istanbul has been trying to convince me to come and visit. When I do, I will have to convince her to come hunt for the Kochecks with me!
Freya

Last edited:

Maria_Aya

AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!! so interesting, wish we had more info for it, where etc.

I guess I'm in the same therapy group with Tarik !!!!!!!!:D

Maria Aya:)

Dev

Dear Tarik...

That is a interesting dance, " female impersonaters ? " , I dont see it, Thank you for sharing the video again,
Cheers

Salome

Administrator
I love that they were wearing what appeared to be Converse shoes with their costumes, LOL. Very vigourus dance, that was the first time I've seen the Kocheck, thanks for posting it!

zamora

in fresno california, there are many armenians.they remember these dancers from the masacar.this makes it a bit hard at times to even book gregory, our male dancer, if there are to many old country people at an event.
the arabs, and persians have no problem with it.
z

Tarik Sultan

in fresno california, there are many armenians.they remember these dancers from the masacar.this makes it a bit hard at times to even book gregory, our male dancer, if there are to many old country people at an event.
the arabs, and persians have no problem with it.
z
:confused: This doesn't make sense. Were they ambushed by male dancers in skirts? Okay, bad joke, but honestly, why should the massacre make them skitish skitsh about male dancers, but not women?

Tarik Sultan

I love that they were wearing what appeared to be Converse shoes with their costumes, LOL. Very vigourus dance, that was the first time I've seen the Kocheck, thanks for posting it!
I've never seen them dance that vigourus. The Converse though seem to be standard...that or Adidas.

There use to be a dance called Tavshan, (rabbit), which was described as being very vigourus, where the hoped around and made faces immitating rabbits. Maybe the hop humping is immitating the rabbits hopping. I need to get to Turkey to find these guys. Looks like fun doesn't it? That's what I love about this stuff. Just when you figure you've seen it all, you find some obscure thing that gets your curiosity going again!:p

zamora

....simple, because they saw the gypsy dancers while being hearded from one concentration camp to another
then there is "the long walk"
there is a inde film about it"ararat"
they saw the kochecks there too.
alot of the older women in fresno,montebello etc, still have the blue tattoo there mothers put on their faces to "make them ugly" to kidnapping and rape.
z

zamora

p.s.,,,they never saw the women
THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED TO BE SEEN BY OUTSIDERS!
thats why only the men were seen in "public"

Tarik Sultan

....simple, because they saw the gypsy dancers while being hearded from one concentration camp to another
then there is "the long walk"
there is a inde film about it"ararat"
they saw the kochecks there too.
alot of the older women in fresno,montebello etc, still have the blue tattoo there mothers put on their faces to "make them ugly" to kidnapping and rape.
z
p.s.,,,they never saw the women
THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED TO BE SEEN BY OUTSIDERS!
thats why only the men were seen in "public"
Oooooh. That explains it, but for the life of me I can't imagine dance performances happening around in the same time/space as death marches. Seems very twisted, as if a death march weren't twisted enough. I have to say though that I haven't experienced this sort of reaction from Armenians personally, so it was surprising to read this.

Out of curiosity, do they have the same viseral reaction to Turkish music

zamora

yes, no turkish music!
but, sometimes we can do 9/8 , but no voacl line.
from what i have learned, the march was somewhat like batan, or trail of tears
they traveled hundreds of miles on foot, they went in and out of townes, encampments, they saw alot.
i have john b booked here in feb 2007
he has put "an evening w/john b"on the flyer .
that way, he can size up the crowd before he lets a turkish ditty rip
i have danced w/ richard hagopian , when he actuually got away with a vocal og babbacin, late into the night, wjhen the crowd was well into their cups.
in the 70s, i worked at a hye resturant with pete doriand band
they would play shalocko...sp, and this little man would jump up, grab 2 table knives, and do this "im gonna kill turks" dance.