Unsure about terms...

Madeline

Since there isn’t any standard naming practice for bellydance, there are a few terms that I’ve come across but I’m not sure what move they refer to. I have a feeling I already know all of these moves but under different names… I’d love it if you could please give descriptions! :D

-Sohair Zaki hip downs

-Lebanese headache move

-Bicycle hips

-Arabesque (which I’m assuming is a different move from ballet)

-The jewel versus the Egyptian twist

-Is there a special name for that big hip circle with heel thumps or hip twists as accents, like Dina does?

Aziyade

-Sohair Zaki hip downs

We can lift the hip, we can drop the hip, and we can stretch it down.
Sohair had this wonderful way of travelling across the stage with these little hip downs. Just imagine the working hip (weighted leg) stretching down instead of lifting. Very cute.

-Bicycle hips

I've seen this describing two different movements.
1. a hip circle done on one hip, from down to up on a vertical plane. Pretend your hip is on a ferris wheel (goofy image, I know). It moves up, forward, down, and to the back. The same movement your hip would make if you were riding a bicycle. You can do one hip, or alternate them.
2. What some people call the Haggalah 3/4 shimmy, where you alternate twisting opn hip forward while doing the 3/4 shimmy.

-Arabesque (which I’m assuming is a different move from ballet)

Same idea, just not as grandiose. Instead of kicking the back leg up to 90 degrees, you just sort of lift the hip/pelvis and let it drop in front, with the leg trailing. Do a travelling ballet arabesque, and just don't lift the back foot off the floor more than 6 inches or so. Samia Gamal does these in all her movies.

-The jewel versus the Egyptian twist

The Egyptian Twist is just Jillina's name for her style of "Jewel." Shareen el Safy is credited with naming this step the Jewel -- she taught it 2 different ways, and Raqia Hassan teaches it as a Figure 8 with a hip twist. Although Raqia's Figure 8 is really more like a half or 3/4 hip circle on one hip. I've never quite understood why she calls it an 8.

-Is there a special name for that big hip circle with heel thumps or hip twists as accents, like Dina does?

I'm told the heel thumps are Saiidi accents -- and if you watch Eva Cernik's video of Saidi dancers, they do the heel thumps periodically to accent the ends of musical phrases.

I've only ever heard this referred to as a "Dina Hip Circle" -- and when you say that everybody knows what you're talking about, so it works for me.

Can't help you on the Lebanese headache thing -- unless it's just that gesture that some dancers use to illustrate a really sad part of the music. You put your fingertips on your temples and sort of sway the head, like you have a bad headache. That's probably not what you're talking about, though.

Great job Aziyade, Only at our school does Arabesques have a different meaning. Instead of the small discreet leg lift( as you decribed so well), the common forward/backward step is what we describe as an Arabesque. My teacher calls it that because her teacher called it that:confused: . Personally, I don't like:( that word as description, but we're stuck with it!
Yasmine

Madeline

Thanks everyone so much! :D :D :D

Aziyade, what you described as the headache move is what I guessed it sounded like. I read somewhere that in some Middle Eastern country it’s a gesture of happiness to touch your fingertips to your forehead, but I don’t know how accurate this is. Perhaps it depends on the way in which you touch your head?