True or False

Shanazel

False. It is so windy here that if I hung my gear outside it would end up in Nebraska by morning.

True or false: you ever went over budget buying costumes or accessories.

Amulya

False, I only like veils and added wings too that :)

T/F: your dancing style has dramatically changed over the years (for example: went from cabaret to tribal)

Shanazel

False. Only the costumes have changed to protect the innocent.

Not to mention the well-aged.

True or false: there are safety pins on any part of your performance costumes.

walladah

False - only where the costume might decide to open without my consent!

But there is a bunch of safety pins in my performance bag, just in case...

True or False: You sew by hand ALL the coins of your bought coin belts, so that they never end up dispersed on the floor...

Amulya

False, but I got old coin scarves, they don't shed, the new ones of today do.

T/F: there is blood on your hand made costumes :p (and maybe some tears as well)

Btw I just discovered a needle inside a bra I made years ago when I took it apart a couple of weeks ago. That has been there all the time!

Darshiva

True. You know a costume is going to be a good one when it tastes blood. If it doesn't, either it will suck or your performances in it will. (I think I also have a pin somewhere in one of my costume bras)

True or False: Your cat likes to 'help' with your costume creation process.

Shanazel

True, usually by leaping off the window ledge into my sewing table, scattering pins and scaring the bejeezus out of me in the process.

True or false: You have (GASP:shok:!!!) yelled at your cat for assisting with your costume mking process.

Darshiva

True. The exact phrase I used was "Anan, get off the damned lycra!" The worst thing is it was that impossible red lycra that marks easily & doesn't like being stretched & she takes off with claws extended & a lot of downward force. Also she doesn't understand why mummy doesn't like her on the nice stuff she laid out so nicely for her.

True or false: your dvd/video/book collecting is bordering on addiction.

Amulya

False, I asume it's normal :p

T/F: you keep buying extra costume pieces for the same costume so you have a massive range of variations for that one costume.

duskshade

Can I play?

True - I'm just starting but a fair hand at sewing, so I'm in the process of making my first dance outfit...

T/F: you have one thing in your life that you love to do that the board would so totally NOT of in their image of you...

Shanazel

False. Nothing I do at this point would surprise this group. :D

True or false: you ever danced in full bedlah and tennis shoes.

(you bet you can play, duskshade. All that is required is a skewered sense of humor. :cool:)

Darshiva

True. My first ever performance was in a greek restaurant & they smashed plates before we were due to dance. This dancer wore tennis shoes! (how ever did you know that?!)

True or false: You pre-ordered aunt rocky's book the day she announced it.

duskshade

False: I haven't bought it yet. Is there a Kindle edition?

T/F: You mess up a section of choreography over and over in practice... so when you get to the show, you're so focused on NOT messing it up, so you nail it. Spot on, perfect, and then go, "What am I supposed to do next?"

(true story - doing the choreo for samba performance, and I kept stuttering a 'mixta' step. We start shooting the video and I nailed it, and promptly couldn't remember what I was supposed to do next -which if memory serves, was a box step, samba back for four, then an Alegria. It was so funny cause it was a solo piece, and my instructor and I were on the floor laughing)

Last edited:

Amulya

False: I do improvising, rarely choreography (but if I do, it goes well)

T/F: when on your way to a gig, around halfway you discovered you forgot to bring one of the most important costume pieces....

OT: the tennis shoes, I wore boots once, the floor was soooo icky! But with very long skirt so wasn't visible in the dark.

Duskshade, have you seen the costume encouragement thread yet? You can post pictures there (hint hint)

Shanazel

False, she said cautiously, knocking on wood. I haven't forgotten an important costume part yet, but I am afraid now at the next show...:shok:

True or false: you had to explain to a student why a black lace bra, see-through red tie top, and black skirt cut in one inch strips from hem to haw was not appropriate for a performance in a family venue.

Amulya

False! Glad I haven't!!!!! So far I have never had to tell a student off about their costumes, but hey with my knowledge of questionable cossies I would be so ashamed if it happened :p But I educate mine from the start!

T/F: you lent out a costume to a student

Shanazel

Partially true: I've lent out scarves, veils, skirts, harem pants, but not an entire cstume all at once.

By the way, I thought I'd educated my students re: appropriate costume, too, but this was her first performance (student group) and I think she listened to her husband when she was choosing her costume at home. It wasn't the one she wore to the dress rehearsal.

True or false: you popped out of a bra while dancing in costume.

Duvet

False: I once had a melt coin-bra break whilst I was wearing it round my waist as a belt, but nothing popped out.

T/F: You think your pet dog/cat/hamster/goldfish would look cute in a coin-belt?