True or False

Shanazel

Sorta true. Thirty some-odd I invested in a waist length dark brown wig for venues where they didn't want a blond with shoulder length hair.

True or false: you have been late to a gig.

Amulya

False, I have been a week too early for 2 gigs, that was with some years spaced in between.

T/F: Sometimes you feel last minute that you so don't want to do the gig/class you're supposed to do.

Shan, was that wig convincing? Did they notice? Still seems to be a big issue; lots of dancers have wigs or falls (especially the falls seem to be all the same ones on dancers)

Shanazel

True- lots of times I've longed to stay home from class, usually because the roads were so bad or I was so tired (and whiney).

True or false: you broke a heel on your shoe while you were performing

The wig was convincing because I have black eyebrows and eyelashes, but it made me look older because the color was so harsh against my skin. I really hated wearing it. It was hot and I was always afraid it would slip.

Darshiva

True. I began growing my hair out as a point of difference (marketing term) for my bellydance business. I have been dying to get it cut quite a bit shorter but have been told in no uncertain terms that as 'the bellydancer with the long hair' I am expected to keep on growing it! (it's halfway down my butt now!)

sorry about that - for some reason the lastest posts didn't show up for me, so to answer Shan's question: False, but the elastic straps suddenly lost tension & the show went on anyway.

True or false: You're addicted to lip balm.

Last edited:

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
False. I hate the feeling of anything on my lips!

T/F: Recently, you've had several unrelated items "break". In your house, or your car, or even at work - it seems that "everything" is broken...

LadyLoba

True in the past...false now. I have looked up old classmates, but never really became good friends with them again. Now my Facebook is a mix of close friends and business contacts.

True or False: You are not a professional belly dancer: you only perform in unpaid talent shows or for friends.

Duvet

Tricky one, that. What's professional? A well respected totally professional bellydancer once told me that if you are asked to dance for money then you're a professional. I've danced for money on numerous occasions, so the answer is False. However bellydance is not my life nor my income, I often dance for friends or charity, and I wouldn't class myself as professional, so the answer is True.

True or False; you have more belly-dance costumes than pairs of shoes.

Darshiva

True. And on a related note...

True or false: You bought a sewing machine out of necessity & buy fabric out of addiction.

Amulya

True! (Fabric often ends up in the big collection and never used...)

T/F: you catch yourself choreographing random non-ME music. (It's a perfect way to relax!)

LadyLoba

True, though Im not quite getting choreography yet, so its more like an improv thing.

True or false: You feel like you look better in your belly dance costumes than you do in your everyday clothes.

LadyLoba

False. I am hyper vigilant about personal safety..so Im always aware of who is around me and where I am...and I'm usually collecting details for my writing, so I am always present mentally.

True or False: You have a very old cell phone

Shanazel

False. I had a trac phone that was several years old but I gave it to my son last fall and never replaced it.

True or false: you'd rather wear an evening gown for a performance than bedlah

Jane

True, but it had better be a super snazzy one!

True or false: You've been jealous of another bd teacher's student because you see so much natural talent and you'd love to get your hands on them too!

Amulya

False: I had some of those students myself :D Shame they didn't persue a carreer in belly dance. Well, one did, but she gave up because she thinks she's too old for performing :( I gave her a big lecture about that: that she better gets on her feet and start dancing again! Sent her a whole list of workshops in her country. Hope it works...

T/F: you have a bedlah permanently in the car, just in case.

Shanazel

No bedlah. :naghty: Just a dozen veils, three hips scarves, and a bag of middle eastern music CDs. Oh, and a gold assaya.

True or false: you gave an impromptu performance for a group of people while dressed in street clothes.

Darshiva

True. Actually I was in a florists & asked if I could give them some cards to display for brides-to-be, etc, and the hubby started clapping out a baladi beat & insisted I give a demonstration right there in the shop!

True or false: when the tv is turned off, you dance to your reflection on the screen.

Shanazel

False, but only because I have no TV. I dance at my reflection in the sliding glass door, though.

True or false: You denied you were a belly dancer when you were in fact a belly dancer.

Amulya

False.

T/F: you wash your belly dance gear, hang it outside to dry and get funny looks from neighbours.