Thyroid Disease

Rania

Typo I ment to put Thyroid Diseases in my subject line.

I suffered with Thyroid Issues, I noticed a BD on here said she did to. Thyroid problems, can contribute to vitalago, goiters, staring eyes etc, weight issues such as having problems with losing tons of weight or gaining tons weight, and even psychitric problems like mania, and schizophrenia the problems throid issues can cause go on for miles. Many people suffer from Thyroid Disease. Mine caused extreme weight loss, a goiter, staring eyes and pigmentation loss (not vitalago in my case). It was caused by radiation exposer, and went away when i cut iodine consumtion way down. Salt contains Iodine, which is a culpart in keeping thyroid issues alive. My thyroid has went flat and has been flat for exactly one year, my pigmention came back,and that "eye lock" compleaty went away. After years of docs and medcines, nothing helped. Only thing I did differn't last year was not use as much salt containing iodine nd pray that the thing goes away(yes im spirituel) ..now its gone!

This is not a pic of my thyroid, but this is what it used to look like with a goiter. It caused a great deal of suffering

From about.com: Women are at the greatest risk, developing thyroid problems seven times more often than men. A woman faces as high as a one in five chance of developing thyroid problems during her lifetime, a risk that increases with age and for those with a family history of thyroid problems.

Causes of Thyroid Disease

What causes thyroid problems? There are a variety of factors that can contribute to the development of thyroid problems:
•Exposure to radiation,Overconsumption,Some drugs, such as lithium and the heart drug cordarone, can cause hypothyroidism,An overconsumption or shortage of iodine in the diet can also trigger some thyroid problems.Overconsumption of uncooked "goitrogenic" foods, such as brussels sprouts, broccoli, rutabaga, turnips, kohlrabi, radishes, cauliflower, African cassava, millet, babassu, cabbage and kale
•Surgical treatments •Radioactive iodine treatment

Last edited:

Belly Love

Wow, I can't imagine what you went through...

It's wonderful that your doing much better and so kind of you to share your story and info for others who are going through the same thing.

You might already be aware of this, but natural sea salt contains almost no iodine. It's like .002% vs 45% in regular table salt. I've been using it for years 'cause I heard it was way healthier.

Take care of yourself, there are few things more important in ones life than their health :)

Aniseteph

I'm glad you are better too.

Your symptoms sounded like overactive thyroid - are you sure the radiation wasn't part of a treatment? Radiation damage to the thyroid would make it underactive and have different symptoms.

Or if you moved from a low iodine area to somewhere where there was plenty in your diet (e.g countries where iodine is added to table salt) you could run into problems while your thyroid adjusted. It would have been grabbing all the iodine it could from a deficient diet to make enough thyroid hormone - make that iodine freely available and it is like taking the brakes off - suddenly it is making far too much. This should sort itself out as the thyroid settles down and gets used to an adequate iodine supply.

There are also types of thyroiditis (inflammation) that can make you hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid) then resolve themselves. There are antibody tests that can predict if you are likely to get thyroid problems in the future some time.

I don't know what the causes were in your case but just saying this could have been a self-resolving thing anyway, and I'd be surprised if in the long term one could control hyperthyroidism by restricting iodine intake. a) I'd expect this would be very hard to do in an area where there's basically enough in a normal diet, and b) the amount they put in salt (in areas where it is a routine public health measure) would be well below anything that would cause problems to a normal thyroid. As long as it is enough, the amount of iodine that you take in is not as important as how much of that the thyroid takes up, which is very closely controlled by your body.

There is a very good overview of thyroid diseases here: Thyroid Diseases

(and as thyroid problems are common there is also a LOT of rubbish out there on teh interwebs. Be safe!)

(/Lecture ends) ;)

gisela

Super Moderator
I have only heard of throat thyroid problems because of iodine deficiency. My grandma had it.
I am glad to hear that it has gone away. Must be an awful stress.

Last edited:

Rania

You might already be aware of this, but natural sea salt contains almost no iodine. It's like .002% vs 45% in regular table salt. I've been using it for years 'cause I heard it was way healthier.

Yep, I never heard that. Ill have to research it! can you cook with it?

Anisteph my thyroid problem was due to radiation at a dental x-ray, they left me with out a protection jacket and took massive amounts of xrays. With in a week my throat swelled, most doctors agree it was probably the cause.

I have heard of thyroid problems resulting in an iodine defiency. I do eat regular salt, I cut my portions down. I had a really bad habit of eating massive amounts of salty foods. Which only irratated what needed to heal. (now I use a "normal" amount of salt)

Antisteph thanks for postin even more info, on thyroid disease :) It was Hyper Thyroid that what most the doctors said

Everyone is right it was allot of stress, and not a fun thing to go through. Imagine being 11-14 years old, that was when it was really big, and facing the cruelty of your peers. I could feel it everyday inside my throat everyday. Dance classes where not fun over a year and half ago, because i had to look at it in the mirror :( Some people seemed to judge the eyelock it caused as if i was just strange, and staring a hole through what even direction I was looking.

Last edited:

Greek Bonfire

Wow, and haven't most of us been exposed to all of these! My aunt had a goiter; I always thought her weight problems were connected with having 11 kids and not getting her weight back to where it was normal. Now I see there is a lot more to it. I hope you can stay ahead of it from now on.

Rania

Wow, and haven't most of us been exposed to all of these!

Yes, we all have, that is why so many of us either have thyroid conditions or know someone that does. However, many are exposed to these things and never develop a thyroid problem. Then again, it depends on each inviduals sensitivity, to these things, and the amount your exposed to.

In my case I was exposed to radiation with out proper protection

Greek Bonfire

How so? I'm asking because I've been getting mammograms since my early twenties and I wonder what "proper" protection they use. I know when I go to the dentist they put that huge apron on you to protect from radiation.

Rania

How so? I'm asking because I've been getting mammograms since my early twenties and I wonder what "proper" protection they use. I know when I go to the dentist they put that huge apron on you to protect from radiation.

They did not put the apron on my body, thats why I consider myself to be unprotected.

Last edited:

Gia al Qamar

You poor gal!!! And it's very strange...because dental x-rays use VERY low dose radiation and the aprons cover only the body from the collar bone down...not the neck...your entire throat appears swollen which is what they call an 'endemic' goiter...which is caused by not enough or too much iodine...not radiation...I would get a 2nd opinion!

(I have thyroid nodule that's very apparent cause by MASSIVE doses of radiation that I had when being treated for cancer). I also switched to sea salt and kosher salt last year because I was having a reaction to regular salt...but I am fine to eat shellfish which is naturally rich in iodine...so I think it was a sensitivity to the additives to processed salt (to make it flow easier) that caused my puffy eyes and runny nose!

Aniseteph

Wow, and haven't most of us been exposed to all of these!

Yes, we all have, that is why so many of us either have thyroid conditions or know someone that does.

No, it's not. Sorry but this grinds my scientific gears - without real evidence you might as well say its down to watching TV, or eating chocolate, or anything else that lots of people happen to do as well as getting thyroid conditions.

Gia I hope you are OK.

onela

There's a lot of thyroid issues in my dad's side of the family, I'm fortunate to not suffer from the same.

PS: @Gia, awesome! Glad to hear you are well.

Last edited:

Rania

You poor gal!!! i would get a 2nd opinion!

(I have thyroid nodule that's very apparent cause by MASSIVE doses of radiation that I had when being treated for cancer). I also switched to sea salt and kosher salt last year because I was having a reaction to regular salt...but I am fine to eat shellfish which is naturally rich in iodine...so I think it was a sensitivity to the additives to processed salt (to make it flow easier) that caused my puffy eyes and runny nose!

Wow you sound like you had a hard time like me, if not more. You faught cancer, and now you a belly dancer, on you way back to health. Great to hear that!!!!!! I wish you to be well now and in the far far future as well. :)

Hugs*

Gia al Qamar

Wow you sound like you had a hard time like me, if not more. You faught cancer, and now you a belly dancer, on you way back to health. Great to hear that!!!!!! I wish you to be well now and in the far far future as well. :)

Hugs*

WOW...thank you ALL so much! My initial cancer diagnosis was quite a few decades ago, about the time I was finishing college...and I have been happily living my life, making my husband insane, chasing my dogs around the house, performing all over the NY metro area and teaching my wonderful throng of students...I am blessed to be the first surviving generation of patients with the kind of cancer I had. One of the side effects of surviving was the thryroid mass...all survivable...and all a part...a small part...of my blessed life! I'm most assuredly NOT on my way 'back' to health...I am the BEACON of great health!

Farasha Hanem

Ditto what Shanazel said about you, Gia.

I suffer from hypothyroidism, or an underactive thyroid gland. Not sure of the exact cause of my hypothyroidism, but I have to wonder if it's hereditary. My mother suffers from thyroid disease and is on meds, and I read somewhere that one symptom of hypothyroidism is premature graying. My father's side of the family all grayed prematurely, and most of them were white-haired before their mid-twenties. My baby brother was even born with gray hair. I started graying at 15, and was coloring my hair on a regular basis by the time I was 20.

Other symptoms I personally suffer from are impaired memory/brain fog and inattentiveness, anemia, sensitivity to cold, dry skin, irregular menstrual cycle, depression, fatigue, and weight gain. My symptoms improve, when I remember to take my prescription meds. -_-;;; *headdesk*