Those different styles of BD.

Belly Love

Is that not tribal music and she is wearing "cabaret " costuming? Strange. What country is she from?

Ah now the second ...that I like. I am NOT confused with this one!

It didn't sound tribal to me... It sounded like slow, Egyptian snake charmer music! I think it would be cool as an intro to putting on a show. I think she might be Spanish or South American...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Belly Love

YouTube - yasmina of cairo archive, wedding at Meridien Heliopolis Cairo

To illustrate what I mean about "accents": this is Yasmina Of Cairo dancing a very Egyptian style but you can see why she is known as the English Rose of Cairo

Oh yes, I know what you mean by accents :) I guess that's what I was trying to say when I was referring to the dancer herself vs. the style of dance. Although, you just clarified another thing for me- I've been wondering if there might also be a specific style of BD that is Russian... it seems to be very popular among eastern Europeans, especially Russians.

lizaj

It didn't sound tribal to me... It sounded like slow, Egyptian snake charmer music! I think it would be cool as an intro to putting on a show. I think she might be Spanish or South American...?

It might not to you but I have the CD with the track on it..and it sure is tribal.
Actually I have never seen Egyptians charm snakes so I wouldn't know what music they use. I have seen Tunisian snake charmers and they didn't have music.
What you see on the films (movies) ain't necessarily reflecting real life.

Last edited:

Belly Love

It might not to you but I have the CD with the track on it..and it sure is tribal.
Actually I have never seen Egyptians charm snakes so I wouldn't know what music they use. I have seen Tunisian snake charmers and they didn't have music.
What you see on the films (movies) ain't necessarily reflecting real life.

Yeah, that's what the music made me think of- snake charming in the movies. It was just the only way I knew how to describe it.

What kind of tribal music is it? I love it.

lizaj

Oh, duh. Sorry, I've been working all night and I'm a little out of it...

Don't fret..I had Tribal fusion dancer say to me recently (as I was fixing a turban wrap) "That's why I gave up Egyptian (style) and became tribal dancer..I didn't want to bother with turbans"!!!!!:rolleyes:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

There is not a Russian style of belly dance...it's a case of Russians belly dancing with a Russian "accent"

I think you could make a case that in a lot of countries, Egyptian bellydance has picked up an "accent" of whatever is currently the aesthetic of dance in general in that country or region. (Russia, India, East Asia, the US and several South American countries -- they all have "accents.")

We are seeing a strong dramaticism (is that a word?) and athleticism in Russian/Eastern European bellydancers. And yes, a lot of ballet because those ballet dancers who were (up to the time of the collapse of the Soviet Union) supported financially by the state have to work SOMEhow. That ballet accent probably isn't going away any time soon, as long as the former state dancers are still influential, especially as teachers.

Curious about Liz's comment -- what does Egyptian dance have to do with turbans? Or did I miss a joke?

lizaj

I think you could make a case that in a lot of countries, Egyptian bellydance has picked up an "accent" of whatever is currently the aesthetic of dance in general in that country or region. (Russia, India, East Asia, the US and several South American countries -- they all have "accents.")

We are seeing a strong dramaticism (is that a word?) and athleticism in Russian/Eastern European bellydancers. And yes, a lot of ballet because those ballet dancers who were (up to the time of the collapse of the Soviet Union) supported financially by the state have to work SOMEhow. That ballet accent probably isn't going away any time soon, as long as the former state dancers are still influential, especially as teachers.

Curious about Liz's comment -- what does Egyptian dance have to do with turbans? Or did I miss a joke?

My comment: quite ..that was my response when someone told me they had turned from Egyptian bellydance to trbial so they didn't have to wear a turban. I was as puzzled as you. Maybe she just got in a tangle..I do hope..unless she'd been watching some faux-historical re-enactment.;)

Last edited:

LadyLoba

Starting to get it too

I'm starting to get this too. I've been reading and watching anything I can, and I think I'm starting to understand the basics...like how Turkish and Egyptian differ...and what Tribal means.

Meera

Sorry I hope this isn't a dumb question but I was wondering is Morrocan style like Egyptian? Or is it very different?