The Official Advent Calendar 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amulya

All the recipes sound so good. I'm giving directions on making a good stocking stuffer... both to gift yourself and others. My Mom has been making them for years and calls them Cozy Warmers (if you put them in the freezer they make great cold packs too.)

Cozy Warmers
Take a small terry washcloth (dollar stores are great to pick them up at). Either with Christmas designs on them or if you want to get fancy you can make a little quilt square to applique on - or a little embroidery - no metallics as you heat them in the microwave.
Fold the cloth in half - turned inside out seam up the sides but leave a space so you can turn them rightside out. After fill them with uncooked rice so you have a nicely filled beanbag. Then hand sew the opening. You microwave them for 90 seconds and have the coolest little heating pads that drape nicely over whatever part you put them on. A cute variation is to make them heart shaped 6" at the widest part of the heart and 5 1/2" tot he point of the heart. Those you can use for handwarmers or to put on poor cold sinuses. These only get a 20second turn in the microwave.

:lol: ARrghhhhhhh the kitchen shackles are pulling back to Cookiemaking duty. Lots of Love and Good Health to you all Creaks

That is such a good idea! Never would have thought of that!

Safran

17th December

I'd like to share our President's Christmas greeting with you:

President of Estonia

The music you hear is composed by Arvo Pärt, an Estonian composer who is also very well known on the international level. Fusion dancers might recognise his work in this piece

I can't believe it is already the 17th!!!

Shanazel

It is still the sixteenth here and as far as I know no one else opted for it. So...

DECEMBER 16 IS NATIONAL CHOCOLATE COVERED ANYTHING DAY IN THE USA

December 16 is also:

St. Adelaide of Burgundy’s feast day
Day of Reconciliation in South Africa
First Day of Las Posadas in Mexico

1431: King Henry VI of England crowned king of France in Notre Dame in Paris

1485: Catherine of Aragon is born; 1st wife of Henry VIII of England

1497: Vasco da Gama rounds the Cape of Good Hope

1538: King Francois I orders renewed pursuit of Protestants

1631: Mount Vesuvious, Italy erupts, destroys 6 villages and kills 4,000

1653: Oliver Cromwell sworn in as English Lord Protector

1707: The last recorded eruption of Fujiyama in Japan

1770: Ludwig von Beethoven is born in Bonn, Germany

1773: Boston Tea Party. Damages estimated at $18,000.

1775: Jane Austen is born in England

1809: Napoleon Bonaparte divorces Empress Josephine by French Senate

1811: 8.0 earthquake shakes New Madrid, Missouri

1824: Great North Holland Canal opens

1826: Benjamin Edwards rides into Mexican occupied Natchitoches, Texas and
declares himself ruler of Freedonia

1864: Battle of Nashville ends after 4400 casualities

1889: Noel Coward is born in England

1893: Anton Dvorak's "New World Symphony" premieres

1897: 1st submarine with an internal combustion engine demonstrated

1901: Margaret Mead is born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

1903: Majestic Theater, New York City, becomes 1st in U.S. to employ women
ushers

1912: Austria-Hungary engage in conflict with Serbia

1915: Albert Einstein publishes the General Theory of Relativity

1916: Grigori Rasputin murdered

1917: Arthur C. Clarke is born in Somerset, England

1921: Charles Camille Saint-Saens dies
1937: T. Cole and Ralph Roe escape from Alcatraz prison and are never seen again

1942: Himmler orders Roma to Auschwitz for extermination

1944: Battle of Bulge begins in Belgium

1965: Pioneer 6 launched into solar orbit

1966: Jimmi Hendrix Experience releases its 1st single, "Hey Joe," in the UK

1969: British House of Commons votes 343-185 abolishing the death penalty

1970: 1st successful landing on Venus (U.S.S.R.)

1971: Don McLean's 8+ minute version of "American Pie" released

1976: George, a goose that lived to 49 years 8 months, dies

1979: Quarterback Roger Staubach's last regular season game with the Dallas
Cowboys

1991: U.N. reverses ruling that Zionism is racism by 111-25 (13 abstain) vote

1995: Nina Verchinina dies

1997: Nicollette Larson dies

1997: A Jaanese episode of Pokemon induces seizures in 685 children

1980: Colonel Sanders of Kentucky Fried Chicken dies.

Thanks to Brainy History, Wikepedia, various historical sites and my own trivia filled brain.

Shanazel

Nicolette Larson was a backup singer who went out on her own and made a mild success of it back in the eighties. I remember her because of her long hair and an album a boyfriend had.

Irish Lullaby - Nicolette Larson - YouTube

NICOLETTE LARSON - Rhumba Girl - YouTube

About Hendrix's song "Hey Joe": when we moved to Fresno in 1968 my mom met the guy who wrote the song in a laundramat. Small world.

Cromwell becoming head honcho had an effect on my ancestral family because when he came in most of them left for America to get away from him.

Last edited:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Nicolette Larson was a backup singer who went out on her own and made a mild success of it back in the eighties. I remember her because of her long hair and an album a boyfriend had.

Irish Lullaby - Nicolette Larson - YouTube

NICOLETTE LARSON - Rhumba Girl - YouTube

About Hendrix's song "Hey Joe": when we moved to Fresno in 1968 my mom met the guy who wrote the song in a laundramat. Small world.

Cromwell becoming head honcho had an effect on my ancestral family because when he came in most of them left for America to get away from him.

Thanks for clearing that up, I was thinking she must've been a dancer and my education was lacking as i didn't have a clue who she was.

As for Cromwell, he was one nasty son-of-a gun:naghty: and probably a good thing your ancestral family decided to clear out and brave the wilds of an unknown land. Good grief what on earth would we have done without you, if the mean C had rounded up your female ancestors and stuck them in a dunking chair or worse!:shok:
~Mosaic

Amulya

It is still the sixteenth here and as far as I know no one else opted for it. So...

DECEMBER 16 IS NATIONAL CHOCOLATE COVERED ANYTHING DAY IN THE USA

I hereby declare national chocolate day in Australia, although it is too late, but that doesn't matter because we can eat chocolate every day (I do)

Shanazel

Good grief what on earth would we have done without you, if the mean C had rounded up your female ancestors and stuck them in a dunking chair or worse!:shok:

Well, thank you. I like to think those wild border lasses and feral Scots females could've given C a run for his money. Who knows who'd have ended up in the dunking chair had C taken on one of those women without an army to back him up.

Bast

I am so sorry I forgot to post on my day!

I have been really sick this past week and my head in the clouds.

But I did have something in mind for you all so here it is.

This time last year one of my favourite bands released this song and gave it as a free download to all of their fans.

I think it is beautiful and I hope you enjoy it too :)

Merry Christmas

jenc

Christmas Time is old movies time.

White Christmas

It's a Wonderful Life

Shop Around the Corner

A Christmas Carol

Wizard of Oz

What do you watch at Christmas?

Farasha Hanem

Dev, thank you for wanting to wait on me. I just got back from the doctor's office, but my overnight-working daughter woke up and wants to watch a movie. Since you missed your day anyway, you should go ahead and go first. I'll post my something special later this evening. <3<3<3<3<3

EDIT *a few hours later*

>.>

<.<

Dev??? oO;;;

Well, gee! :confused:

I'm sorry it took so long to post, but I had a hard time trying to figure out my web cam! :confused: Here's a little Christmas video:

I can't tell you all how very much I love you! :D I feel very, very blessed to have you in my life, and thank God that He has given me so many wonderful friends. Thank you for your love, kindness, and care. Merry Christmas! <3<3<3

>.>

<.<

Dev? oO;;;;;

Last edited:

walladah

THank you so much for the wonderful treats of the last days!

:D:D:D:dance::dance::dance:

this is wonderful!! Merry Christmas everyone!

walladah

December 21st - Winter Solstice 2011

It is already December 21st in Greece (and i am sure it is a bright day in Western Pacific already), so this is my treat, this year from... Crete!

First, White Mountains (Lefka Ore) which are the mountains over the city of Chania. White Mountains obviously are named like this because they are under snow for the most part of the year. 10 days ago that i was in Chania, i was amazed to realise that during the night, they reflect the light of moon and stars and have a unique blue-colour-giving-light all around. THe closest photo i could find online is the following
http://www.chaniablogs.gr/%CE%91%CE%B3%CE%B1%CF%80%CF%8E_%CF%84%CE%B7_%CE%A4%CE%B6%CE%B5%CF%8A%CE%BD_%CE%B1%CE%BB%CE%BB%CE%AC.../2011/12/12/Moonlight

although some of the snow is gone. The weather forecast is about new snow to come the next days, so, i am looking forward for more blue mountains in holiday nights.

THen, as we are dancers, i am uploading the link of a traditional music piece and song which i fell in love with 2 months ago. It is called Stafidianos Skopos, originating probably in 19th cent. and with many different versions all over the island of Crete. THe version i prefer is the one i think fitting more a long night or the more ritual one -a version originating in Rethymnon city.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvzRFNKTPDg

The english translation of the lyrics are the following:
Tears are falling from my eyes with grievance, I ponder with pain
That everything is pointless in this lier world where I live in
But you are the reason and the excuse and my heart is in pain
And I am in torment and I cannot anymore escape, alas!
But the stafidianos beat, it gets older but it does not melt
Because hidden loves are revealed by this beat

Merry Winter Solstice! Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

Dev

Christmas in India -

Thank you everybody , making up my missing post for 14th...

Thanks Farasha. I just returned home from a family visit , sorry a bit late again.

Credit - google image.

Last edited:

Bast

It is already December 21st in Greece (and i am sure it is a bright day in Western Pacific already), so this is my treat, this year from... Crete!

First, White Mountains (Lefka Ore) which are the mountains over the city of Chania. White Mountains obviously are named like this because they are under snow for the most part of the year. 10 days ago that i was in Chania, i was amazed to realise that during the night, they reflect the light of moon and stars and have a unique blue-colour-giving-light all around. THe closest photo i could find online is the following
Chania Blogs »

although some of the snow is gone. The weather forecast is about new snow to come the next days, so, i am looking forward for more blue mountains in holiday nights.

THen, as we are dancers, i am uploading the link of a traditional music piece and song which i fell in love with 2 months ago. It is called Stafidianos Skopos, originating probably in 19th cent. and with many different versions all over the island of Crete. THe version i prefer is the one i think fitting more a long night or the more ritual one -a version originating in Rethymnon city.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvzRFNKTPDg

The english translation of the lyrics are the following:
Tears are falling from my eyes with grievance, I ponder with pain
That everything is pointless in this lier world where I live in
But you are the reason and the excuse and my heart is in pain
And I am in torment and I cannot anymore escape, alas!
But the stafidianos beat, it gets older but it does not melt
Because hidden loves are revealed by this beat

Merry Winter Solstice! Merry Christmas!

Beautiful piece of music :)

Status
Not open for further replies.