The Goblin Calendar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amulya

Thanks everybody for their contributions!

LOL Gisela, that was priceless, very clever! And Yame, I loved the snow dancing!

Nath

I had two things for today, but I've lost one of them. I think the goblins got into my stash!

My first thing is a short goblin tale that is local folklore from where I grew up in Pennsylvania. The area I grew up in was a very strong "Pennsylvania Dutch" area. Barns would have distelfinks and other hexes of good luck and harvest over every door and under the eaves. It was a very lush farmland although today it's a concrete jungle and you won't know it's history if you didn't grow up here back in the day. (I tell my grandkids I remember when there was a ballpark where the mall is and they all look shocked. LOL)

So here's what the goblins left me:

There was once a monk at the mission who loved money and power more than he loved God. He would hear the confession of the good folk who attended the mission, and then would blackmail them into giving him gold and silver to keep their darkest secrets. He turned many a wayward sinner's feet towards the fires of hell rather than the gates of heaven, encouraging their crimes in secret while he reviled them in public.

It was after he beat one poor old woman to death that the evil monk was imprisoned and sentenced to hang for his crimes. But just after he was cut down from the noose and pronounced dead, his corpse began to transform before the horrified eyes of the people. The face twisted and small tusks sprang from either side of his nose. His shock of white hair grew long and greasy, and two pointed canines emerged from his slit of a mouth. The goblin-monk opened eyes that glowed yellow even in the light of noon-day, and sprang to feet that now ended in claws rather than toes.

The people screamed and fled, and no prayer of his former brothers-in-faith could banish the goblin. It disappeared deep into the forest, only to return at night and prey upon the monks of the mission who had been responsible for its death. After five of the brothers had fallen to the goblin, the rest of the monks abandoned the mission and moved to another part of the country. Since that time, the mission-house had slowly fallen into ruin.

The ruins of the mission house were finally removed and today a movie theater rests on the spot. People are still known to run into the goblin from time to time, always he appears wearing a monk's robe from a by-gone era and tries to trick people into doing some evil deed.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Ohhhhh Nath now that is spooky, what an evil little monk troll goblin. Hope you find your other stash, maybe the monk goblin took off with it.... you better watch out tonight;)
~Mosaic

Greek Bonfire

Nath, I was looking for the toasted marshmallows as that is a story to be told in the dark around a campfire!

Gisela, that was very, very clever!

walladah

Goblins getting more and more inventive!

Gisela, this has been extraordinary!! Thank you! I have had a lot of fun with the blank treat!

And, Nath, i love this local traditional story! it is so interesting that still people... run into monks trying to motivate innocents to do evil!

Wow, it seems that as time goes by,and the Goblins are meant to go underground again, they get more and more nasty!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
My turn! It is the 5th here in Aussie - Kind of like Grinch stole Christmas, Aussie Goblins stole Time.

OK some fun things for you all!

The poem "The Goblin's Christmas" by Elizabeth Anderson 1908 - at the link below, is too long to paste here and has some great pics.... Preface leads into the poem ...

Preface

Once upon a time I visited Fairy-land and spent a day in Goblin-town. The people there are much like ourselves, only they are very, very small and roguish. They play pranks on one another and have great fun. They are good natured and jolly, and rarely get angry. But if one does get angry, he quickly recovers his good nature and joins again in the sport.

If a Goblin should continue angry he would take on some visible form. Perhaps he would become a toad or a squirrel, or some other little animal, and would have to live here on the Earth-plane forevermore. But, if he keeps good natured, he can come here and have his fun, and not be seen by any one except a Seer, or very wise person.
The Goblins are gracious to the wise people now, but they were not always so. A long, long time ago, on a Christmas-eve, the Fairy-folk were having great sport. All the little people of the Unseen-world had gathered together in the Earth-realm. There were Brownies, and Gnomes, and Elves; even some little Cherubs had joined them. They were having a wild dance and a gay time when who should appear but Kris Kringle! Now the Fairies did not know that he was a Magician, or Seer, and so they tried to make sport of him. But Kris by his wonderful magic, changed them into the most beautiful toys. They became straight little jumping-jacks, and dolls in bright dresses, and the dearest little rabbit with white, soft fur. And somewhere in the bottom of the sleigh one was turned into a cute little Teddy-bear. Then old Kris tucked all these toys into his roomy sleigh, and shook the reins of his waiting steed. "Go on!" he said, "For I've many, many a chimney to reach tonight."

Now this is the tale of "The Goblins' Christmas" that the moonbeams told, as they heard it from the Fairy-Queen, who declares that every word of it is perfectly true...

The Goblins' Christmas - Wikisource

Last but not least a fun maze to keep you amused!
The Maze / Official Homepage from Winterrowd.com (The Scary Maze Game)

Enjoy
~Mosaic

Amulya

Nath, that's spooky, I should have read it at night! Mosaic, so many contributions! I loved the blackberry most :lol:

Shanazel

I Luuuuuuuvvvvvv Stop!Stop!Stop!

And the blackberry: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

I did, however, get the riddle right and I am neither a kindergartener nor a Stanford graduate. :cool:

Nath

Well, never found my other stuff. :(

The blackberry vid is a scream! Thanks for some great goblin offerings!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Gisela -
The devil made me do it!

The Blackberry one is great, had to share that one!
Glad my offerings were enjoyed!
~Mosaic

Amulya

I shared the blackberry one everywhere. Unfortunately gmail has now the nasty thing were it embeds youtube links automatically so some people can't receive links anymore.

walladah

Wow! i had a lot of fun today too!

Mosaic, how did you find all this stuff! it is excellent! i liked very much the... eggsbox (hahahahahahahaha) in the blackberry video!

And of course i enjoyed (to the point i want to choreograph it!) the stop!stop!stop! song!

the Goblin Christmas story is.. very spooky! I knew there was something with children's toys, but now i understand!

and the pictures! wow!

Thank you so much!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Mosaic, how did you find all this stuff! it is excellent! i liked very much the... eggsbox (hahahahahahahaha) in the blackberry video!

And of course i enjoyed (to the point i want to choreograph it!) the stop!stop!stop! song!

the Goblin Christmas story is.. very spooky! I knew there was something with children's toys, but now i understand!

and the pictures! wow!

Thank you so much!

Ahhh haaa the goblins have got your soul;) now we will see Walladah dancing frantically to 'Stop, Stop, Stop!" - actually sounds like several of you will be frantically dancing to this around the world:lol: and singing - "Stop, Stop, stop all the dancing ... give me time to breathe!

I googled goblins, found the poem, and loved the art work and story, the Blackberry one was sent by email to me so had to keep that one for the goblin calendar, and the Stop x3 was actually on Bhuz, so link saved for a gobliny day:D

I wanted to embed the maze but most forums don't allow flash embed for security reasons.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Ohhhhh ... I found the lyrics! to Stop Stop! at Stop Stop Stop Lyrics - Hollies - love the lyrics. Purrrrrfect for BD'ers
~Mosaic

Stop, Stop, Stop By The Hollies
See the girl with cymbals on her fingers
Entering through the door
Ruby glistening from her navel
Shimmering around the floor

Bells on feet go ting-a ling-a linging
Going through my head
Sweat is falling just-a like-a tear drops
Running from her head

Now she's dancing, going through the movements
Swaying to and fro
Body moving, bringing back a memory
Thoughts of long ago

Blood is rushing, temperature is rising
Sweating from my brow
Like a snake, her body fascinates me
I can't look away now

Stop, stop, stop all the dancing
Give me time to breathe
Or I'll have to leave

Now she's moving all around the tables
Luring all in sight
But I know that she cannot see me
Hidden by the light

Closer, closer, she is getting nearer
Soon she'll be in reach
As I enter into a spotlight
She stands lost for speech

Give me time to breathe
Or I'll have to leave

Break

Give me time to breathe
Or I'll have to leave

Now I hold her, people are staring
Don't know what to think
And we struggle knocking over tables
Spilling all the drinks

Can't they understand that I want her
Happens every week
Heavy hand upon my collar
Throws me in the street

Give me time to breathe
Or I'll have to leave

Shanazel

Oh thank goodness! It is not just me thinking along those lines! I faithfully promised my continuing dancers that I'd let them do something fun and off the wall for the next rec center recital. This would be perfect. Now I just have to corral some good-humored dependable male to join us. Not my males- my son and husband would both run a mile to avoid this, though my husband will drum for us if I ask.

Who can I nail? Who owes me a biiiiiig favor? Who can I blackmail? :think:

walladah

A Goblin Bellydancer blackmailing?

nooooooooooo....

There is no need to!

I think you just need to make an ad or... project opening, where you wil describe the story:

"Talented men wanted for theatrical oriental dance project" or something like this!

I think the attraction of working together with bellydancers will create a long queue in front of your house and your dance studio. You will be able to choose the best...

Men within bellydance families do not count, for they have already received an overdose of sequins, bare bellies, jingles and coin belts etc. They have been de-sensitised to the trick mentioned above!

Tell us what happens at the end!

PS/Talented=handsome and clever

gisela

Super Moderator
:lol: Fantastic! I am dying to know which ones you choose Shanazel. Maybe some of those biker friends of yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.