The costume support, inspiration and encouragement thread!

Daimona

I'm having trouble understanding what I'm looking at. What is it exactly?

Technically speaking, textiles and plastic, but a "flower" or something? You can see part of the neckline of the dress to the left and a dart to the lower right.

Last edited:

Suzanne Azhaar

Questionable sewing modifications

Purchase used costumes for several reasons- no longer dance professionally, sans need for new costumes / latest fashions. Good prices and entertainment value.

What dancers do to their costumes causes much shock, horror, and laughter. They modify whatever way works at the moment. Recommend- learning basic sewing skills (youtube videos), learn from a friend, ask a friend for help, or pay someone who does.

Current :naghty: - Dancer added padding to cups. Recommend- unpick seams at cup base, insert pads (at a slant, near outer edge of bra wire), tack pads down, then resew cup base seams. Instead, the dancer cut center cup fabric, inserted pads at base wire, then resewed fabric gash like a nasty battle field suture.

My nose says the pads are old / contain toxic material. These were worn near "the girls". Terrible idea. (Took the garbage outside, rather than have them outgassing in our home.)

Shoulder straps were obviously too long. Doubled over and long piece of Velcro to hold in place. Hope she had short hair, or that Velcro might tangle nape hair.

On the bright side, when corrected, I'll use the extra length of sequins and beads to fill in missing beads / sequins.

Gold stinky (3).jpg

I know, no one sees inside a dancer's costume while performing. But, guarantee what happens on the inside of a costume, affects what a costume looks like on the outside.

Shanazel

Suzanne won't tell you herself, but she is a restoration genius, regularly taking poor orphaned shabby costumes and turning them into works of art.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Suzanne won't tell you herself, but she is a restoration genius, regularly taking poor orphaned shabby costumes and turning them into works of art.

Can I abandon some of mine, then reclaim them after she works her magic?

Suzanne Azhaar

Peeled veil off wall and used it a few hours later. Well behaved at the beginning, utterly divine. Forty five seconds later, it remembered to misbehave, tossed aside like an unrepentant mischief maker.

Canary yellow set, salvaged from e-bay-

YellowSuzanne4.jpg