Suheir Zaki at Ahlan Wasahlan

Yame

Amazing that after all those years, her personality and essence was still the same. Soheir Zaki in her 20's, in her 30's, in her 40's, in her 50's, and whatever her age was in this clip... always the same sweet smile and modest yet confident persona. I just love her!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Every time Sahra tells us the story about this, it makes me cry. Apparently the band had just started to play Soheir's music, and Lucy looked over at her and started needling her to dance to it (more than I guess the requisite three times? lol) and so finally she did, and the room just exploded.

I have these fantasies where I go to AWS and she's actually there as a teacher. Or DeeDee brings her to Dallas or something. Soheir was my idol -- well still is -- and the person who made me want to learn Egyptian dance. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!! that this was caught on film :)

Zumarrad

Every time Sahra tells us the story about this, it makes me cry. Apparently the band had just started to play Soheir's music, and Lucy looked over at her and started needling her to dance to it (more than I guess the requisite three times? lol) and so finally she did, and the room just exploded.

I have these fantasies where I go to AWS and she's actually there as a teacher. Or DeeDee brings her to Dallas or something. Soheir was my idol -- well still is -- and the person who made me want to learn Egyptian dance. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!! that this was caught on film :)

Hooray! I am so glad to hear this story! A lot of people have speculated as to why she started dancing at that particular point and I'd wondered if it was maybe a piece of music that was special to her or something, based on the body language. Now I know!!!

I do feel sorry for those oblivious dancers on the stage... poor things!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

BTW -- I recently asked Dee Dee Asad if she would consider bringing Soheir to the US, and she said nobody knew how to find her or contact her. So if anybody has any contact info for her, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE forward that to Dee Dee.