Slow, pretty song, which style?

RahimaMJR

(Didn't know if this song should be in Music or here.)

I heard this song during class (I think during a warm-up or something), thought it was really pretty, then forgot about it. Then the other day while I was going through itunes store, I found it by coincidence. The song is Aicha by Khaled. I love it! The melody, the voice, everything.

Anyway, my question is, what can be done to this song? When I searched for it on youtube, I saw a couple of dancers using this song, using just repetitions of basic movements. I know it is kind of repetitive in the beat, but I believe there is some opportunity for beautiful movement, particularly with his voice, what do you all think? Is this a song you would want to dance to or just listen to?
(here is just the song, you can search youtube for examples of dancers using it)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Love that song, love his voice, I have had that for a good couple of years and dance to it around home, have practiced veil to it. I have also used it as a hand an arm, and lovely flowy movement warmup in class (followed by some shimmy practice). I have toyed with the idea of setting a choreography to it, but have never got around to it. I think you need to play around with it to see if it works for you.
~Mosaic

Yame

This style of music is called rai. It's Algerian. It's not really belly dance music, but then again I'm not quite sure how natives usually dance to rai, it might be similar.