Sadie... hmmmm...

Sirène

Why bother? If the one you've already got doesn't inspire you, why on earth would you try another? What makes you think another would be any better suited to what YOU want? Don't buy another video by a dancer who fails to inspire you - instead, look for a different dancer whose videos are a better fit with the dancer YOU want to be.

I do agree, Sadie's videos produced by HMC are very alike. If you don't like one, you are more than likely not going to like another. I'm just wondering if the comparison of the Drum Solo to her Complete dvd is fair since the former is a choreography dvd, and the latter a technique dvd? The choreo dvds assume you have at least an intermediate bellydance vocabulary. To the unsuspecting newbie (I was one a few months ago!) it can be confusing and frustrating.

Ahava_Melantha

well i'll try the beginner one, even though i'm not a total beginner. but i'm a beginner to her kind of style, which i've notices, imh, is just mostly pops locks and shimmies. i've only seen 2 of her dancers that I really like. although one on youtube where shes pregnant is sort of funny.

she didn't do her chest movements as exaggerated, i think because her breasts got so big with pregnancy(lol) and she couldn't get a better fitting bra, so she minimized those movements. her movements weren't "overboard" so her pregnant performance was actually better i think.

jenc

What style do you like? There must be a better fit for you if you don't like the style.

Imeera

Personally I did like Sadie very much. However now I have seen other, and better, dancers I do not like her as much as I did. Plus her morals are....questionable. Especially since I saw her and her friend "performing" in a rap music video. She has great control but lacks emotion and passion. Not that she has none, just that I have seen dancers with more than her.

Ahava_Melantha

one style i've gotten into lately is the very dramatic russian dancer. I LOVE them. alla kushnir, daria mitskevitch, aleksandra dodenka, yasmin . lve them.

yame on youtube is good, so is cassandra fox - she does carribean fusion dancing. very good. theres others too.

KestrelAradia

one style i've gotten into lately is the very dramatic russian dancer. I LOVE them. alla kushnir, daria mitskevitch, aleksandra dodenka, yasmin . lve them.

yame on youtube is good, so is cassandra fox - she does carribean fusion dancing. very good. theres others too.

I Adore Alla Kushnir! Someone mentioned her on another thread on here :) So I looked her up and she's one of my new favorites
And Cassandra is a wonderful dancer.

I used to worship Sadie when I first started to bellydance:rolleyes:. But her highly technical style wasn't personable and made me feel inadequate as a beginner... Pretty silly.

Now I like to watch fellow dancers who look like they love to dance and, that in turn, inspires me to become a better dancer myself.

I try not dwell on dancers who I don't like as much.... And I try not to compare myself to them as well:lol:

lexiconlush

Thinking back, I've only seen her dancing to drum solo type music. Are there any videos of her dancing to something more melodic?

Ahava_Melantha

i have no idea if she has or not. even to so called slower and sultry moves, she doesn't do slow moves, she still does mostly pops, locks, flutters and shimmys. thats just her style I guess

AndreaSTL

I'm not so much a fan of the popping, locking, and hitting every accent so she's not my favorite. It doesn't make her bad; I just prefer a looser, more fluid Egyptian style.

Greek Bonfire

The only time I don't like Sadie is when she is doing the bump and grind. Otherwise, I have no problem with her. But she does sluttify the dance at times and that has somewhat turned me against her.

LadyLoba

Sadie is one of my absolute favorites, but my opinion isnt important here. If the original poster really strongly dislikes her for whatever reason...she would probably regret buying any more videos. I dont know what anyone else's finances are like...but DVDs are too expensive to me to be buying up a bunch Im likely to wind up not wanting. There's nothing wrong with focusing on people you really like in the arts.

Me, for example...I went through phases of loving both these bands...but I am currently not a Beatles or a Rolling Stones fan. This doesn't mean they're bad bands or dont know what theyre doing (obviously these guys did/do know their stuff). I just dont enjoy it...so I dont listen to those bands. I choose other music.

Nothing wrong with watching other belly dancers you like better...nothing at all.

Gloria

Thanks for finding the video. Her fabulous technique is still there, but I felt kind of cold after watching it.

It left me cold, too. Sadie obviously has excellent body control, the costume was fabulous and she looked great in it, but her dancing had nothing to do with the era she was apparently trying to convey. There was nothing "Old Style" about her dancing. All she did was put up a couple of pictures of old dancers, play an old song and then do her same pop and lock routine only slowed down a bit.

Ahava_Melantha

this is actually one of my new favorite songs to dance to. i have seen some clips of her dvds and i think she has lots of potential in terms of teaching, but don't think shes that great. she didn NOT do justice by Zeina at all. she doesn't know how to dance to melodious music at all.

jenc

Although Sadie is not my favourite dancer - I do feel that some of the later posts have gone out of the way to be negative. Please give this a rest and post some vids of daNCERS YOU do LIKE.

This is not aimed personally at the last poster in an y way.

KestrelAradia

Although Sadie is not my favourite dancer - I do feel that some of the later posts have gone out of the way to be negative. Please give this a rest and post some vids of daNCERS YOU do LIKE.

This is not aimed personally at the last poster in an y way.

I didn't really see anything like that, although that's just my opinion, and of course you have yours. I just saw a lot of people explaining why they did or didn't like Sadie. I'm sure they would post videos on which belly dancers they do like but they don't because it's not relevant to this thread, which is about Sadie.

Artemocion Malta

Hmm I like Sadie alot for Drum solos then for other types of dancing I have other favorites .Alla Kushnir's videos with a live Oriental band are delightful however I don't compare one with another, too different and yet both lovely.

gisela

Super Moderator
Thinking back, I've only seen her dancing to drum solo type music. Are there any videos of her dancing to something more melodic?

I came across this video that I actually quite like. Not as much pops and locks but still some. The turkish music suits her.

lexiconlush

She sorts of reminds me of Rania in the sense of being okay when dancing to Arabic music, but really owning it when dancing to Turkish music. I enjoyed that clip.