Random, but relevant.

SpadeDancer

So, I'm a guy, and intend to wear a minimalist costume, based on a gothic take of tribal, and wonder a very important question....

Should I shave my legs? I'm not too hairy, but I'm not bald either. And, if I shave my legs, should I shave the rest of me? I'm not too worried about being hairy, I just don't want people to be going 'gross' when I show up on stage. Course, I have quite a while until then, since I'm still working on learning BD, and making my costume.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I've moved your post to Male Dancers as I think the gentlemen here may be able to answer your question:D
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
No need to be sorry, sometimes it is difficult to decide the best spot for a post. As for not hitting submit... yep I've done that a few times:lol:
~Mosaic

shiradotnet

So, I'm a guy, and intend to wear a minimalist costume, based on a gothic take of tribal, and wonder a very important question....

Should I shave my legs? I'm not too hairy, but I'm not bald either. And, if I shave my legs, should I shave the rest of me? I'm not too worried about being hairy, I just don't want people to be going 'gross' when I show up on stage. Course, I have quite a while until then, since I'm still working on learning BD, and making my costume.

I don't think there's any need to shave your legs, arms, or chest. Some women like manly hair, others prefer a barer look, but I doubt anyone would find hair in those places gross. If your back has a lot of thick, dark-colored hair, it might be good to shave that - some women do think a very hairy back is gross.

SpadeDancer

THANKFULLY my back is hair free... And I actually have very little hair in general, just mainly on my inner, upper thighs... I have planned a strategic outfit piece to combat that problem. Thigh bands. Awesomely gothic thigh bands. *nods*

Thanks for the advice.

SpadeDancer

I will. I'm hoping to have the pieces done in time for my next this Tuesday... Course, it will be very embarrassing for the first time. LOL. I'm so very modest about my body, never really show much skin... I'm always that kid who wears a huge shirt into the pool and at the beach. I also have huge scars on my best from surgery, but those I don't much mind. In fact, I may just play them up during my performances.

Shanazel

Don't shave. You will hate the pricklies that result, especially if you start taking a razor to chest, arms, etc. If you must de-hair, consider waxing a week or so before your performance. Gives time for the red to go away.

SpadeDancer

I suppose I posted the question out of issues with my body. I forget that the main person who has these issues with my body... is me. I have been through hell to get this body, I should stop scrutinizing it.

However, I do thank everyone for the advice... Don't shave, but if I must, wax. Good thing to keep in mind.

Iolite

if it ends up bothering you, don't shave, trim it down to something manageable. when the grass on the lawn gets too long take the lawn mower to it, not something to remove the grass. manscapeing is a good thing.

LilithNoor

My preference, especially for a bloke dancing a tribal style, would be for fairly natural body hair, as it's something I expect to see on a man, and wouldn't find it at all incongruous with the costuming (similarly am a fan of Unmata and Amy Sigil, who favour au naturel armpits).

My one caveat would be if the hair on your upper thighs looks too much like it's making an escape from your underpantal area! In that case I'd just run a trimmer (grade 1) over it rather than risk the prickles and ingrown hair from shaving.

gisela

Super Moderator
I am not sure inner upper thighs should be visible for the audience in this type of dance?

LilithNoor

I am not sure inner upper thighs should be visible for the audience in this type of dance?

I'd tend to agree, but as SpadeDancer specified Gothic tribal, I'm aware that costuming trends for that genre are a little off the wall

I've seen plenty of gothic dancers in hot pants and or minis, especially those who are on the cyber end of the spectrum, and garter pants have become really popular as well.