Raks Assaya

Aisha Azar

Costuming etc.

Hi A’isha!

Thanks for all of the information on workshops! I really appreciate it, and I like your “Bare Bones” affordable workshop idea. I’ll email and ask Mark if he’s coming to my area anytime in the future.

Thanks again,
Madeline :D

P.S. I just noticed that you’re listed in the directory of “The Bellydance Book”, and it mentions a costuming business under your name. Do you still do that?

Dear Madeline,
Yes, I still do costuming for other dancers, but no longer for general theatre since I started Baharat!! Dance Company. I am a professional theatrical costumer as well as a dancer and I worked for 7 years at Eastern Washington University as costume designer and shop supervisor. I learned a lot there. My costume business is called Al Zarafah Designs, because one of my very short Saudi friends used to call me "Zarafah Hanem" ( Madame Giraffe) or A'isha Al-Zarafah, because I am so much taller than him and used to wear heels all the time on top of it! I think they have me down as Al-Zaralan or something like that in the book. I do custom costuming, all fringe beaded by hand, all appliques made by hand, etc. I also do group costuming, but I charge extra for that from the sheer boredom of creating the same costume over and over and over and over again!! Right now, I have one applique project about finished and then two costumes in line, so I figure I will be busy until at least July. Then I get a new one!! People keep telling me I need to keep photos, but I never do. I stay pretty busy. My work can be seen on my website and on my dance company's. Raqs Azar and Barharat!!. I designed the shoots except for the lighting and backdrops, and all of the costume designs are mine as far as choosing the over all costume, but I did not make all of the costumes in some photos, just most of the belly dance costumes. A lot of the folk stuff was given to me as gifts or belongs to the other dancers.
Regards,
A'isha

nicknack

Thanks everyone I think I'm getting a better handle on it all.

I sense a Saidi playlist coming on, anyone know of any good clips on YouTube?

Aisha Azar

Assaya

Dear Yasmina,
Thanks for the validation !! I am not as young as I used to be, and was pretty sute that someone, somewhere along the line had said so to me, but just was not too sure.
I know the Ghawazi women do as cane dance, too. It seems like it is a simple little couples dance ( female couples).
Regards,
A'isha

Suheir

I've just seen this clip and I think it's very poor. Unskilled use of the stick, bad-quality movements and very stilted dancing:

This dancer's described as a master teacher in one of her clips.

hayet

hi

I've just seen this clip and I think it's very poor. Unskilled use of the stick, bad-quality movements and very stilted dancing:

This dancer's described as a master teacher in one of her clips.

Dear Suheir(Zaki??)!

I would like to see some videos from your dance.I think you are the best dancer in the world and i want to learn from you.Please show me your video on youtube ,maybe one with asaya.
Thanks a lot