On Uneven Ground

Darshiva

So.... I've been met with a challenge. I'm getting more work now that I'm settled in Nhill and so far it's all outdoors. I'm very unfamiliar with dancing on uneven surfaces and whilst I did my best today, it wasn't nearly as good as it can be indoors on an even floor surface.

My current plan is to take an mp3 player and some headphones and practice dancing in the park so I'm more used to that sort of dance surface, but do you have any other tips for me on how to deal with uneven lawn as a dance surface?

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

I always take a quick surveillance of the area surface to check for holes I might not have noticed initially, twigs, rocks, or other debris, etc. Dancing outdoors is one of the few times I dance with shoes on because it's just too dangerous not to. Our troupe has laid out an area rug at times when we've danced at the Ren Faire, which can be a double-edged sword if the area isn't checked and cleared ahead of time. After continued practice dancing outdoors, you get used to it. Just be careful, because it is easy to twist an ankle on some unseen dip.

Also be careful dancing with props. A lightweight sword will spin on your head like a wind vane in an Oklahoma gust. Use a heavier sword, and definitely make sure it's blunted. One of our troupe members had her sword go through her foot one year! @____@;;

Also, beware of silk veils---they "melt" around you like cotton candy in your mouth, and try to eat you alive. >.> Heavier chiffon veils work better outdoors.

Oh! If you perform any "floor work," definitely wear knee pads under your harem pants.

Definitely dress for the weather, as well as the venue. I think your seasons are the opposite of ours, so dress in warm layers. During hot weather, dress accordingly, and bring plenty of water. If you're performing, some venues provide dancers with free bottled water.

If you perform outdoors, wear a costume that's easily washable, and wear a good sunblock. Use a sweat proof sunblock on your face. Also, wear a good waterproof/sweat proof makeup. Getting runny eye makeup or sun block in your eyes is painful! @___@ When you get home, take a good shower and slather on some aloe Vera on exposed areas. Check and wash your costume---I've come home and taken off my costume, only to find myself covered ALL OVER in dirt, grass, and hay! @___@

Dancing outside can be challenging, but so much fun! You're close to your audience, and can interact with them. Dancing in the sunshine and fresh air is a wonderful experience. Just be aware of your surroundings, and enjoy! :D

Last edited:

Duvet

Having danced on thistles, worms and cow dung, dance shoes are a good idea! (no stilettos though). I've also danced on a couple of steep angles. One led into a bunch of nettles, the other time it led into the garden lake. There was no way I could concentrate on any choreography, set or improvised. Just had to keep smiling, lean forward, and make sure I didn't put my arms above my head or behind me. Undulations were pretty precarious too. So no slippery shoes either (and despite the temptation, no water wings!).

Not sure about your weather, but the English kind is fickle enough that, despite the air being as still as the Venus de Milo, as soon as you get your veil out the wind will start on it like a pussy with catnip. So choose your props with care. Sticks are great, especially as a third leg, but anything you feel tempted to balance on your head, make sure its good and heavy enough to stay there should you drop a level unexpectedly.

I would not do floor work outside (not unless there was some covering put down), and always expect your costume to get dirty, so don't wear your best but least easy to clean outfit, that you need for the next day.

Be aware that you might tread on a stray rock, or slip on a bit of mud, so be prepared to alter your choreography very quickly from a cute hip drop to a deep hip circle, whilst keeping that oh so engaging smile on your face!

Unlike Farasha, I find outdoor work tends to involve the audience seemingly miles away whilst you dance in the middle of a field. You either spend your time looking small and insignificant, and all your beautiful moves are lost without the aid of opera glasses, or you have to cover a lot of ground running about with the occasional but brief pauses for interaction with the audience (also know as catching your breathe).

I hesitate to advise anyone as skilled as you, but the best way to deal with uneven ground is exactly what you are doing - practice. You have to learn to dance in a different way - to allow your balance to be more fluid. A bit like getting your sea legs on board ship. Using the floor to support your technique is not so reliable, so your muscles need to be able to come into play more in order to execute the moves. But at the same time contact with the floor needs to be more constant as you never know where it might go should you lift your foot off for too long! So arabesques might not be such a good idea, whilst the heavy flat footed moves would be better. Quick and frequent turns are not so easy on uneven surfaces, so be prepared to dance a bit slower if you're used to rapid spins. Level changes whilst changing balance can be trickier on uneven ground, as can getting back up again! (Where'd that stick go?!). Its largely a matter of adapting some moves and avoiding others. And if you do find a nice even spot on the lawn (especially if its near the outdoor heaters on a chilly autumn evening), note where it is, and choose that spot to do your taqsim on.

Its all an exciting new chapter in finding out how your dance copes in a new situation, and what you learn about yourself to meet the challenge. Hope it goes well.:)

Last edited:

Darshiva

Heh, and hubby wondered why I was going over to practice in the park instead of in our yard! Lots of odd hills in the park so plenty of eneven ground for me to come to grips with. :)

Thanks for the advice, I'm certain I'm not the only person on the boards trying outdoors for the first time - so keep the advice coming!

Farasha Hanem

Hope Cassie doesn't mind me posting her video. She's such a lovely and skilled dancer, but Mother Nature knows no discrimination! :lol: Here's one of the many things that can happen in the great outdoors:

Farasha Hanem

That's one of the many things I love about Cassandra, her professionalism. She just bounces right back and keeps her lovely smile. Plus, she's not afraid to poke a bit of fun at herself. She really puts herself out there.

MizzNaaa

I have to say; I have no experience performing at all...well unless you count dancing for friends at private girls-only parties and birthdays performing? No..okay :(

:p

No really, but uhm I imagine it's like everything else; takes a bit of practice and getting used to? Also, goodness; Cassandra has got to be one of my favorites, she's quite skilled and her performances always put a smile on my face. Always.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
PLEASE be careful dancing on ANY uneven surface!

I broke my foot in a Greek dance performance in Y2K because I stepped in a crack on uneven pavement. Went down, Foustanella over my head - it wasn't pretty and I was off from dancing for 4 months. :(

Pleasant dancer

I agree with what others have said above, and yes as Zorba says, even a relatively small incident can cause a nasty sprain or even fracture and make dancing (if not walking!) difficult and painful for a very long time.

The one piece of advice I give my ladies when we are going to dance on uneven ground (and this includes pavements (sidewalks for our USA friends) - don't expect it to be your best performance. You'll have so much to think about just battling the ground and the elements and have to expect that your usual neat hip drops and three step turns will be a bit wobbly. Your audience won't notice a few wobbles, so just smile at the audience and enjoy the occasion.

Oh - and have a practice on wobbly ground first :D

Dunyah

Cassandra Fox is an awesome dancer and she handled the fall really well. But I was thinking as I was watching her in that clip that she was taking a lot of chances the way she was dancing on that grass. As was mentioned in another post, you can't do your most impressive moves on an uneven surface. Safety is important, be a little restrained and don't risk an injury.

It's too bad that event organizers in general haven't a clue about what dancers need in order to do a performance. I once perfomred at an outdoor event where they kindly set up a small stage for us to dance on. Problem was, it wasn't level, and it was a slippery as ice! I didn't fall, but I came close.

Yame

PLEASE be careful dancing on ANY uneven surface!

I broke my foot in a Greek dance performance in Y2K because I stepped in a crack on uneven pavement. Went down, Foustanella over my head - it wasn't pretty and I was off from dancing for 4 months. :(

Not only that but dancing on a concrete surface over time will cause cumulative damage to your joints. If it's a once in a while thing it's probably not a big deal, but regularly dancing on pavement would be a BAD idea.

At least Darshiva seems to be talking about dancing on lawn, which isn't so bad from that perspective. I think the main thing to do is wear shoes (sandals with no heels or a low platform would probably work best), dance more carefully, and if possible clear the area of any branches and possible obstructions or tripping hazards ahead of time. Also if falling is a concern, maybe wear something that would be easily washable should you fall (like a bra and belt set with a separate skirt as opposed to a beaded skirt).

That just about covers it. Now less to do with the surface but still on the outdoor gig topic, just a general reminder not particularly aimed at the OP, a personal pet peeve of mine is when people try to do veilwork outside. I have to say I always chuckle when people bring their veil to an outdoor gig and then get all stuck all over it and complain that the wind was not cooperating. Come on... there is always wind (any little wind WILL disturb veilwork, since silk is very light)! If you must use a fabric/entrance prop, isis wings are a much better idea (probably still a disaster on a very windy day, but on a normal day since they are heavy enough some minor wind will not disturb them), but please remember if the weather is too windy for your prop, don't stand there all stubborn trying to make it work. Ditch the prop and move on! Nobody wants to see you struggle with a prop, people want to see you mastering your dance. /rant

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
...a personal pet peeve of mine is when people try to do veilwork outside. I have to say I always chuckle when people bring their veil to an outdoor gig and then get all stuck all over it and complain that the wind was not cooperating. Come on... there is always wind (any little wind WILL disturb veilwork, since silk is very light)! If you must use a fabric/entrance prop, isis wings are a much better idea (probably still a disaster on a very windy day, but on a normal day since they are heavy enough some minor wind will not disturb them), but please remember if the weather is too windy for your prop, don't stand there all stubborn trying to make it work. Ditch the prop and move on! Nobody wants to see you struggle with a prop, people want to see you mastering your dance. /rant
Veilwork outdoors can be done - on a VERY still day and with a fairly heavy veil.

But you are quite right - even a "still" day has wind currents and the dancer must deal with them. And DEFINITELY ditch the veil if its being uncooperative - wind or not! One poor dancer lost her veil outdoors - it must have been a 50 knot cross wind, she never saw it again and neither did anyone else!

Zumarrad

Cassandra Fox is an awesome dancer and she handled the fall really well. But I was thinking as I was watching her in that clip that she was taking a lot of chances the way she was dancing on that grass. As was mentioned in another post, you can't do your most impressive moves on an uneven surface. Safety is important, be a little restrained and don't risk an injury.

It's too bad that event organizers in general haven't a clue about what dancers need in order to do a performance. I once perfomred at an outdoor event where they kindly set up a small stage for us to dance on. Problem was, it wasn't level, and it was a slippery as ice! I didn't fall, but I came close.

I've met Cassandra in person and she's young and very athletic so I don't blame her for adding some extra "push". But yeah, picking and choosing your moves is important!

The one thing I'd add to the advice given in this thread is the possibly too-obvious *engage your core like hell* and pelvic floor too.

Jane

I've brought a cheap oriental rug with me for dance surfaces I wasn't fond of like grass, dirt, and cement. Glue some of that rubbery anti-slip carpet stuff (whatever the name of that stuff is) strategically to parts of the back of the carpet so it won't move around on you and you are pretty well set. Roll up with the nice side in for easy transport. Like everything, practice with it on several surfaces of course.