New prop

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I agree with Allinorah. That is just totally ridiculous & just adds to the idiocy of 'dancing for your sultan' or whatever:rolleyes:. To be honest I'd have thought Sharifwear would have more sense:naghty:
~Mosaic

Shanazel

Well, they did say "add some spice to your fusion belly dance routine."

As if so much fusion is not already salty enough. :rolleyes:

Aniseteph

It reminds me of a song on YouTube called "Just glue some gears on it and call it Steampunk". Just put some diamante on it and call it belly dance, same principle. :rolleyes: It'd be less faily if they had coins on.

And call me cheap, but if I wanted diamante handcuffs as a novelty prop, eBay have them for a lot less. Not proper belly dance ones of course, but as a prop this one doesn't really speak to me. If I wanted to really take belly dance handcuffs to the next level I'd upgrade, obviously. But this is not going to happen because it's stupid.

Duvet

...if I wanted diamante handcuffs as a novelty prop, eBay have them for a lot less.

I'm now wondering how you happen to know this!:shok:

Seriously though, this type of 'prop' just gives bellydance the connotations that most people would like to get away from. I wonder what type of 'belly dance fusion' the advertiser has in mind. I doubt that sparkly handcuffs would be advertised as a 'jazz fusion' or 'contemporary dance' prop.

Aniseteph

I'm now wondering how you happen to know this!:shok:.

I should shut up and preserve a certain mystique, hehehe, but WTH... I looked on eBay because they looked like something that would already be a thing for the hen party/ drag queen/ fancy dress market. And they are.

Jane

I'm trying to imagine a skit with the belly dance police. I'm imagining that really, really hard so I don't imagine other things.

Shanazel

I have a friend who makes a living building biker gear (jackets, vests, chaps). He also has a lucrative sideline making, um, other kinds of leather goods. I'll be I could talk him into producing some interesting diamante styles for the same folks that are interested in the handcuffs.

Hmm. Wonder if a 20% commission is enough to ask for my cut? :think:

My son is also a leather worker specializing in weaponry and cowboy stuff but I think I'll not mention this line of production to him.

Safran

I did see the ad for the cuffs in their newsletter and was thinking that they are really extending their sales into weird fields. I mean, I can imagine a modern shaabi piece with batons and handcuffs, taking the current affairs in Egypt into consideration, but I don't think they will make it into the basic props of bellydance any time soon.. at least I hope so...

Aniseteph

Belly dance with a serious commentary on Egyptian politics and diamante handcuffs... Either is quite LOLworthy on its own, but together... yikes. :shok:

Jeanne

All I can say is -- eeeeeeeeek. I agree that I would have expected Sharifwear to have more sense. I can envision some tribal fusion groups working these into a performance, but it would be the kind of thing that I already don't like to see.

Jane

...but I don't think they will make it into the basic props of bellydance any time soon.. at least I hope so...

What are considered the basic props these days? And yeah, I hope handcuffs and pony play accessories don't make the list!