My eyes are dim....

Zumarrad

... I cannot see posts any more!

When I open a thread, the first post in particular is just a large blank space. This bug is new. I'm on Chrome, which has been fine till today.

Daimona

... I cannot see posts any more!

When I open a thread, the first post in particular is just a large blank space. This bug is new. I'm on Chrome, which has been fine till today.

Is it only the first post, or the first post of every page? (such as this)?

(No problem for my firefox)

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I use Firefox but do have google chrome so just checked to see if my chrome was not showing the first post. I didn't have any problems, I checked several threads to make sure.

Try turning off all extensions to see if that solves the problem, if it does turn them back on 1 at a time until you find the culprit. I checked GC troubleshooting & couldn't find anything relating to the problem you are experiencing. GC also has a trouble shooting forum, lots of questions with various problems but not this one, sorry I'm not much help.
~Mosaic

Ælfscine

Quartermaster's Store

You title reminds me of a song my grandfather would sing to my brother and me.

Mi, mi, miiii, meow!

There are ants (ants)
Wearing rubber pants
In the store, in the store.
There are ants (ants)
Wearing rubber pants
In the Quartermaster's store.
My eyes are dim...
I cannot see
I have not brought my specks with me.
I have not brought my specks with me.

You can make up as many verses as you want but that is the main framework.

Okay, I know it's silly but it's the ferret in me. :lol:
<runs to hide under the couch> :tongue:

Ælfscine

Ælfscine

We've seen this before

On a more serious note: We've seen this before. The site were Ælfstangard and I post our stories had much the same problem ... only worse! In this case, it turned out that the sysop on their end had to tweak the site to make the site accessable again. It can be as little as something that is flopped needs to be flipped.

It sometimes helps to reboot your PC then go directly to the site. There are programs and sites that leave little craplets behind that can mess up the next site. Most of the time, they vanish when you reboot but there are programs such as SpyBot and AdAware that can clean up tougher problems.

Hope this helps,

Ælfscine

Last edited:

Dunyah

I have the problem in both Firefox and Chrome, and I recently rebooted my computer. so I will next try running my Spybot Search & Destroy.

Ælfscine

It may be the advertisement dialogue box

I have noticed that all the messages that are glitched have advertisement dialogue boxes in them. :think: It might be that something in the code that sets their size is wrong because I have seen in subsequent messages that advertisement dialogue boxes are allowed only about two square inches on the right hand side. :shok: It seems that this glitch is leaving only a narrow column on the left for text. :wall:

Ælfscine

Ælfscine

Changing the screen resolution helps

Hi...

Okay, I have tried it now from my laptop at home: ASUS, Windows 7 Home, FireFox. It has a high resolution screen that is currently set to 1440 x 900. The message is still scrunched into the left side but at least it is readable. I have Chrome and Windows Explorer which I shall now try and get back to you with the results.

Okay, I have just tested with Windows Explorer 8 and Google Chrome and I am able to read the first messages in each page although in all cases it is scrunched up into the corner. So it would seem that the dimensions of the advertisement dialogue box and the current screen resolution are the culprits. I hope that this is at least somewhat helpful.

Ælfscine

Last edited:

Ariadne

I'm not having a problem. The text is pushed over on the first and last posts but only for a few inches. I use Firefox with Ad Block Plus (I have a young child and some of the ads you run into online... :shok:) and my resolution is 1600x900 but I don't know if any of that would make a difference.

Ariadne

I don't blame you. I just figured if a few of us who aren't having trouble said what we were using they might be able to figure it out sooner.