Lost teacher again!

LuLu

Ok so I have been taking lessons on and off (on and off due to losing teachers) the last 3 years I just moved a few months ago and found one Belly Dance teacher in my area I took from her for 1 1/2 months then she stopped due to medical issues. I can't find any in my area and I have money issues to boot. Do you have any suggestions? YouTube Videos or DVD's maybe. I am really fond of Tribal, specifically ATS and Tribal Fusion but I am lost. Any advice is appreciated.

Birdlight

Argh, how frustrating! Datura online looks good, with ATS and fusion streaming classes, plus cabaret...In the absence of teachers, any use?

Dunyah

You may have already done this, but have you asked your old teacher for references or leads, she may know people in the dance community that you don't.

LuLu

I asked her but she didn't know of any in our area except one of her students who refused to teach.

Erik

YouTube is a cesspool but I'm addicted to it. After reading your post I didn't expect to find much in the way of Tribal instruction, but there was more there than I thought. DK how useful they will be.

Your problem makes me sad, LuLu. These days you can get thousands of songs on one of those Ipod things, and a microdermal bindi if you so desire, but that isn't worth squat without proper instruction.

Silverfyre

Hey there LuLu, sorry to hear you have no teacher :( I'm an ATS dancer and am in the same situation.

The Datura online lessons look good, although I haven't taken them myself. I have done the online classes that Skin Deep Belly Dance offer which were ok. But the best investment you could make is to take online lessons with Megha Gavin of Devyani. I've been taking these for the last while and am trying to have one lesson every 4-6 weeks. I know it is an expense, and like you I am VERY strapped for cash, but it is really worth every penny.

Also try and invest in the FCBD dvds if you can. FatChance have just started doing online drills via youtube which are great (just type fcbd drills in the searchbar) and in fact they are working on setting up online classes however they wont be available for a while yet.

It's hard to learn on your own and stay motivated but just do what you can with what you have available to you and keep on shimmying :)

khanjar

Well, if you want another class., post the area in which you are and who knows what comes up on these forums as it happened for me when I lost my class, another in another part of the country messaged to say there was another teacher in my city I had not heard about and I am in her class now.

Ariadne

Well I had written a big response but I think I'll send you a PM. Suffice it to say there are classes locally for tribal. :D

Last edited:

Tammyraks

I know how it was to take lessons where there is not much options or have no teachers in the area. Very fustrating:(. When there was no teacher or good teacher in an area, substituted with great DVDs or attended workshops when I could, for styles I was interested in.