Lilla's Bellydancecostumes.com Was My First

danya

As she was the First Website On the Internet: I bought my first costume from her: it is an amazing elaborate Turkish costume weighing 7 lbs. It still looks like new and I've danced in it for almost 10 years every week and more!. It has crystals when no others had until last year. The sequins are faceted and sparkling: a marvel of a creation: can't find these anymore; except just a few left on her site. I've got to say: it's hard to beat her quality< she is the first and the first designer to set the stage for quality: she is a visionary ahead of her time. A quiet Harvard Graduate, but hey, her talents show in her costumes and what she did to the belly dance world waaay before shakira! Hooray Lila's bellydancecostumes.com:dance:

lizaj

Mmmmm are you on commission flooding the forum with your praise of Lila. Actually I think it's rather counter-productive.

lizaj

I think I'd bettercontact Lila and tell her about her fan/customer because she is destroying goodwill here:lol:

danya

Not promoting her at all; No No!!!

I was just missing her heavy style old costumes: I hope she does not get mad at me: I am a new member, is that not allowed?! I saw people talking about Eman, Bella and so many more: Lila has her own workshops, so what's the difference?!

lizaj

I was just missing her heavy style old costumes: I hope she does not get mad at me: I am a new member, is that not allowed?! I saw people talking about Eman, Bella and so many more: Lila has her own workshops, so what's the difference?!

I thought she went to the same workshops as Eman. Is Lila not in the USA? Dear me you are confusing me. Of course you can say who your favourite designers and suppliers are especially if it's someone new to us on the forum Of course we say what we like and maybe criticise a trend or style we don't like. We don't tend to slag off a vendor like you have done with Dahlal.It pays to be measured in the criticism of businesses..they tend to have tame lawyers.

danya

Well, I'm new and learning the rules lizaj:

so thanks for valuable advice! sincerely so sistah! But you know what the best defense is for that: the Truth. And I know so many dancers with lots of bad experiences that can be proven, I thought that's why we were here?! I didn't mean to be so direct about any one particular site. Yes, Lila is in the US but she gets her Egyptian ones made in Egypt and Turkish ones made in Turkey, etc, as do all the other sites that are based in the US. I have sooo many Gf's dancers and troupe leaders who were burnt by buying in bulk from Turkish sites or even buying a single costume from these Turkish sites: what they got was so far from what they expected: I myself like to see what I get. I think the Turkish sites think that There are 10 billion dancers in Europe and America: so they send lesser quality shown: they don't think ahead or understand us. The US websites show you what you get. Topkapi may send the order to Turkey, but the quality is great. Turkish Emporium is in Turkey, not the UK: and if you are a professional dancer and danced with troupes and other gals, there's not much more I need to say on that last one.

lizaj

so thanks for valuable advice! sincerely so sistah! But you know what the best defense is for that: the Truth. And I know so many dancers with lots of bad experiences that can be proven, I thought that's why we were here?! I didn't mean to be so direct about any one particular site. Yes, Lila is in the US but she gets her Egyptian ones made in Egypt and Turkish ones made in Turkey, etc, as do all the other sites that are based in the US. I have sooo many Gf's dancers and troupe leaders who were burnt by buying in bulk from Turkish sites or even buying a single costume from these Turkish sites: what they got was so far from what they expected: I myself like to see what I get. I think the Turkish sites think that There are 10 billion dancers in Europe and America: so they send lesser quality shown: they don't think ahead or understand us. The US websites show you what you get. Topkapi may send the order to Turkey, but the quality is great. Turkish Emporium is in Turkey, not the UK: and if you are a professional dancer and danced with troupes and other gals, there's not much more I need to say on that last one.

So you are reccomending people to buy from US vendors. MMM
I have bought direct from Eman and Amira and through a Uk vendor,bought direct form another Cairo designer ,bought a UK designer's costumes and bought tribal ware from the uSA and rarely had a problem. I also bought a costume direct from a Turkish designer Legend and had very good service. It pays to be careful and to build up a relationship with a vendor. But being an older and not professional dancer ( there are few who earn a living from the dance alone here in the Uk) the best buys I find are second hand.
But for quality no one will ever surpass the Madam Abla ( bought from another dancer) and the Pharaonix dress I bought direct 5 years ago and still wear with pride.

I just think it is very unfair to flood threads about different designers by saying how much better someone else is and that' s my final word on it.

teela

Danya
I am getting very tired of hearing of Lilla's site and her costumes. I realize you believe she makes fantastic costumes and is the best but the number of times you push her website and costumes is making me stay away from her. Its like getting hit with too much advertising and shutting down. Thank you.

danya

Teela:I have searched High & Low and didn't see her name

Mentioned anywhere here. Isn't it natural to answer about which was my first BD costume? that was the question and I didn't post it. I just answered Lila's because she's a classic AND the First site, so??: I just got my 15th from her and was happy for weeks. You all can "Plug" bella and Eman and pharonix and sooo many others: I think you are all being two faced! what's the difference?. I also said I love Topkapi. You are being unfair to her: I myself am begining to wonder if you are not behind some of these you mention over and over again: Lila's was never mentioned here until I came; so what's the fuss for God's sake? I feel you are NOT balanced, so don't blame me or her: I'm a professional dancer and buyer: i stated my opinion and I get all attacked--I feel THAT, in and of itself is strange. Anyways, you throw stones or build them, but don't allow others to--that's hypocrisy. Maybe we should ask her: she does not talk much and never has; but I know that when she does, she is a Harvardian. So it's a sin to be a fan ey? or to voice preferences or scams of prices and service by other sellers... Only you are allowed to and I'm not??? comon.

lizaj

OK I'm back on this one.
Don't play the victim. Danya..your approach raises hackles
You came in slagging off Bellas and Emans..instead of saying.."Look girls these are very expensive why don't you try my favourite site for costumes. The quality and service is very good". I can understand an American buying items from an American vendor after all no probs with customs and less problem with return. This is why many of us here in the Uk prefer to deal with our local vendors if we can't go direct. Surely as an American you realise it is foolish to bad mouth other traders to promote another. Is that when lawyers appear. I'm assuming you're American or why else buy from there when you can get stuff shipped from Turkey or Egypt or the UK or Italy or Germany.

But can I be perfectly honest..which I was avoiding..there isn't a single costume on that site that appeals to me and I am sure there's some on here will agree. Most are ,by the looks of things, bog standard Turkish bedlah which though still popular are not worn by nearly as many dancers these days. And maybe by displaying on those dreadful mannequins the Egyptian style costumes don't look attractive either. (the photos of customers are far more appealling)
And I'll let you into another fact. I started dancing 12 years ago within 18 months got on the internet and guess what one of the first sites I saw was Lila's and guess what...the costumes do not appear to have changed..and guess what taste does for many dancers who are performers.
There done it..didn't mean to but you pushed me to it.
Linked with all the "goddessy tosh" on the site I'll stick with the Egyptians and Shimmyshop.

danya

Why don't we ask her?

She makes comments about her setting styles in Turkey 20 years ago. When I am there in Turkey, the vendors affirm her claims: they had high regards for her and her "BRAIN": saying that because of her they changed soo many things in the Turkish basic Bedlah before everyone else. If you see the Old ones from Istanbul, it kind of makes sense.

Shanazel

This is Shanazel as moderator. Since this thread is becoming somewhat heated and promises to become more so, I am moving it to Debate. Carry on, my friends.

zena

I decided to check out the website and look at some of the pics on the photo gallery page. When I came upon a photo and its' description, it made decide not to trust this vendor. The photo is clearly Michelle Joyce and she is wearing a Bella. Scroll down about 8 photos and you'll see what I mean.

Photo Gallery2
The vendor has it labeled as "Lunabella In our elaborate Turkish bronze with crystals costume (available by special orders only)" :naghty:

Last edited by a moderator:

da Sage

Anyways, you throw stones or build them, but don't allow others to--that's hypocrisy. Maybe we should ask her: she does not talk much and never has; but I know that when she does, she is a Harvardian.

She makes comments about her setting styles in Turkey 20 years ago. When I am there in Turkey, the vendors affirm her claims: they had high regards for her and her "BRAIN": saying that because of her they changed soo many things in the Turkish basic Bedlah before everyone else. If you see the Old ones from Istanbul, it kind of makes sense.

I'm tired of looking at your friend's middle-of-the-road costumes, and being told that they are just amazing, more amazing than any other shop's/designer's. If they were all that great, we wouldn't have to be told how beautiful they are, we'd be able to see it for ourselves.

I'm also tired of hearing about how she is so special with her Harvard degree, and her "BRAIN". People in Turkey have brains too, as do most people in the US. Academic achievement does not equate to style, taste, or good business sense. I never patronize a store because of the owner's academic education - I choose my stores because of their stock, the prices, the service.

And for those hung up on the Harvard connection - Harvard's rate of admission for undergraduates is the lowest in the US, but the rate of admission for the Divinity School is much, much higher. It's like comparing apples and oranges:

College acceptance rates: How many get in? - USATODAY.com
Tips on Applying: Spotlight on Harvard Divinity School Faith-Promoting Rumor

Color me not impressed.

da Sage

I decided to check out the website and look at some of the pics on the photo gallery page. When I came upon a photo and its' description, it made decide not to trust this vendor. The photo is clearly Michelle Joyce and she is wearing a Bella. Scroll down about 8 photos and you'll see what I mean.

The vendor has it labeled as "Lunabella In our elaborate Turkish bronze with crystals costume (available by special orders only)" :naghty:

Oh, that's hysterical. The photo file even says it's a Bella. I wonder if the store owner has an answer for that?