Just A Male Dancer

SpadeDancer

Hello,

I'm just the latest addition to male dancers out there. I'm mainly interested in Tribal, with a more gothic/cyberpunk style. I'm interested in bringing something new to the table, a flash of style people don't normally see.

Hope to be a productive part of this forum.

- King of Spades [or KoS for short]

Mosaic

Super Moderator
KoS. Sounds interesting the BD path you are heading down. look forward to seeing you around the forum.
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
If you have any questions just find the appropriate sub forum and ask away - there is a sub forum for questions about the forum, finding things, how to's etc:D Also you can search the forum for previous threads that may have answers to some questions.
~Mosaic

gisela

Super Moderator
Welcome King of Spades! I hope you will find some good information and inspiration here. Nice to have you with us :)

Shiro

Welcome to the forum! I look forward to seeing you on the forum. I enjoy seeing men getting into bellydance. There needs to be more. :D

Farasha Hanem

Hello, and welcome, SpadeDancer! :D We have many wonderful people here on the forum, I'm sure you'll make lots of friends! :D

Juno

When I started belly dancing, I was worried that the women might not be comfortable with a male dancer, because it is fairly unusual. I was so wrong. Dancers are very accepting. They don't assume that you are gay, or really care. They just see you as a male dancer.

Of course, there is a stereo type of male dancers being gay. The subject makes some male dancers upset, but it is best to not worry about it and just enjoy the dancing. Straight men who fear the gay stigma are just missing out.

Hello and welcome. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

There are many Tribal style dancers here (me being of them, though new still) among other style of belly dancers. So if you have any questions, I'm sure there will be plenty of people to help. :)

Farasha Hanem

When I started belly dancing, I was worried that the women might not be comfortable with a male dancer, because it is fairly unusual. I was so wrong. Dancers are very accepting. They don't assume that you are gay, or really care. They just see you as a male dancer.

Of course, there is a stereo type of male dancers being gay. The subject makes some male dancers upset, but it is best to not worry about it and just enjoy the dancing. Straight men who fear the gay stigma are just missing out.

Also, some male dancers unfortunately suffer from the opposite stigma: being seen as some sort of perverted leach (did I spell that right? Probably not Oo;;; ) that preys on female dancers. Not all bellydance classes are that way, but some do, and sometimes they have had good reasons to be wary of males that want to take classes. However, that does cause a problem for the dancers who truly are passionate about bellydance. I believe in taking one case at a time, so to speak, and taking each individual on their own merit.

I hope I've made sense, because at the moment, I'm struggling to stay awake at my laptop! Oo;;; I'm sorry if my thoughts seem a bit jumbled---I hope this post isn't too muddled. :confused: Anyway, I'm always very glad to see another male dancer find bellydance. Don't ever let anyone discourage you two gentlemen, and that goes for the rest of our wonderful dancers here, each and every one. <3<3<3

Oo;;; I think I need to get some sleep!

SpadeDancer

HEH! I'm taking these classes at a local church, with two lovely ladies... Apparently the church took over the classes that were hosted at one of our colleges, to which some of the dancers commented that a few men were taking there.

As far as being perceived as gay, totally cool, cause I am. It shows when I talk, lol. I'm a bit of a unique case for most people, and they tend to be confused as to why I do thing. I don't mind going into the details on a more private level, but I've found that discussing my uniqueness openly on forums tends to lead to people flaming me with internet bullying.

Anyways, I love being a male dancer, even if I look gay. Dancing is helping me DO something, keep active, and having fun. I don't go out much, I don't know how to dance other than what I've learned, and I have always admired belly dancers for their ability and grace. So, I took the chance to go from admiring to doing. Plus, I needed the boost in self confidence and self esteem

Shiro

Steven Eggers is an amazing dancer. He was the first male dancer I had ever seen, and frankly... He's one of my inspirations. I believe bellydance is for anyone and everyone who wants to do it. Male bellydancers are always very inspiring. I've found a lot of people didn't like male bellydancers because they don't have the "shape" or anything to shake, but when you work with what you have, despite people putting you down, or if you "don't have" what female dancers have... It makes you stronger. I hope you continue to learn bellydance, you're almost better than I am at moving your hips ( I looked at your blog) and I've been learning bellydance fore 3 years. Keep it up! :D

SpadeDancer

thanks all! Shiro, I've been shaking my hips for a while... when you really only have one dance move, but love clubbing, you use the hell out of it! It's made learning to belly dance REAL easy to pick up... in fact, as soon as I eat lunch, I'm gonna hit the floor and do my routine for an hour, or as long as I can last.

Jane

You live sort of close to me. I'm just south of Helena. Feel free to pop by for a class or a coffee visit and chat! :D