I got slammed on youtube

Hey Tarik, good comeback, it's easy for someone to post derogatory comments on youtbube, I'm glad you got the balls(pun intended) to reply in person!

May I quote" Guess what, I ain't a sexy woman......" Thank the heavens for that!!!!:D
Yasmine

Mouse

I applaud you for choosing education over retaliation. It would have been so easy to simply tell them where to shove their narrow mindedness, but instead you took the time to explain the dance. Excellent reply - well done!

Inanna

That was really wonderful! I applaud you for doing that, hopefully it educates anyone who watches it!

Tarik Sultan

Thanks everyone. At first I was bummed out ecause I thought how much easier it would be to get acceptance if I was a woman, and then I realise....like being accused of being a whore, working under the threat of death in certain places and being socially ostracized is something to aspire too?:confused: All of us face challenges to be who we are and do what we do by the narrow minded who are so filled with negativity they can't accept the light we try to share with them. I feel that even though these kind of situations suck, we still have to be strong and inform them.....and if that doesn't work, suggest that they slather their entire bodies with Anusol. Its made to reduce flaming hemeroids!

Gia al Qamar

You can't see me right now...but I am standing and applauding.
VERY nicely done!
I am going to send this link to each of my students...what you're sharing is SO very valuable and cannot be repeated enough!
Gia

Aniseteph

GO TARIK!!!!!!!!! :D What a great response.:cool: Keep on shaking it forever!

.....and if that doesn't work, suggest that they slather their entire bodies with Anusol.
... is there's enough to deal with all the morons who post stupid comments on YouTube? Buy Shares NOW!

Sara

:D That was good and you have a nice voice too, and cool house!

It was very brave of you to do that and it's a really good response.

Well done!

P.S- You're so cute! ^__^

Suhad

Yay! Fantastic!

I loved the Shisha performance too, BTW -- my husband was amazed.

Is there something besides water in the bottle? My hookah is pretty top heavy even with water in it (although it is a cheaper one I admit).

Tarik Sultan

Yay! Fantastic!

I loved the Shisha performance too, BTW -- my husband was amazed.

Is there something besides water in the bottle? My hookah is pretty top heavy even with water in it (although it is a cheaper one I admit).
No I only put water in it. I dance with a full size one now. The weight of the water really helps to stabalise it so it balances better. I have another one that is slightly bigger and so its also heavier. Makes it harder to balance because the top of my head is pointy and the weight squishes the cap too much so its wabbling on my pointy head. Perhaps I should put less water in it.

I'm not brave enough to light it up. I have this immage in my mind of it sliding off my head while I'm down on the floor rolling over and burning a hole in my Butt......NO SMART REMARKS:mad:

Maria_Aya

Dear Tarik

How much better the world would be (not only the bellydance world) if we had more between us with your intengrity, style, mind and heart.
Bravo Bravo Bravo !!!!

and btw, as we got a closer look to your face (from the dancing clips its not possible) what????????? you dance so many years???
You look 25 the most !!!!!!!!!!!!

Maria Aya :clap:

p.s. he he
You said no SMART REMARKS? he he
Well we have at North Greece a dance where we walk on hot coal and dance same time (happens only at 21 May every year) so maybe I can give you ideas? he he

Last edited:

Lydia

i got slammed on youtube

Hi Tarik dont worry ,we can never please all the world.... some will love you some will hate you....or dislike nicely said...dont worry that is not only you... for us lady,s we get it to ...she is to skinny she is to fat...she is to old ,she is not sexy ...never mind you are bigger than that and just brush it of,you are a great artist and gally wally what she thinks ,keep up your good work and let her try to do it like you!!......hugs Lydia

Tarik Sultan

Hi Tarik dont worry ,we can never please all the world.... some will love you some will hate you....or dislike nicely said...dont worry that is not only you... for us lady,s we get it to ...she is to skinny she is to fat...she is to old ,she is not sexy ...never mind you are bigger than that and just brush it of,you are a great artist and gally wally what she thinks ,keep up your good work and let her try to do it like you!!......hugs Lydia

Thanks Lydia:

That's just what I thought. I guess this is nothing compared to what A list celebraties have to put up with from the news papers and gossip columns. And like you said you ladies get it all the time.

Last week I did a show and this one table were all having a great time watching me, but when the other dancer went to that same table, they were so mean to her. They actually told her to her face she was too short to be a dancer. Is that cruel or what?

We all have that insecurity of being rejected on some level, but I guess its like everyone here's been saying, you just keep going on. This experience and hearing from all of you has given me the strength to let it roll the next time it happens.

taheya

Great video responses tarik, very articulate and clear. I get so frustrated at times with the general publics view of belly dance as a whole and often find it hard to get across to people exactly what bellydance is and to try and dispel the image it has.
As for the comments about it being a female dance well educated people will know this not to be true. This is controversial now...but i dont think it helps when you have teachers and experts referring to it as a 'feminine' dance. This is very misleading not only for the dance community but also for the general public.
Anyway well done! :clap:

Safran

Well done, Tarik! I like it how you first stated that you could reply with a snappy remark, but instead you choose to educate. Actually, I think that many people will start looking at your video expecting that snappy remark... But what they will get instead is a good lesson.

And doing a second video with your own personal point of view was also very cool! I hope your answers will be seen by lots and lots of people!

Ravenmoon

: D

It would seem that in an age where we must accept everyone and everything, tolerance preached about every minut blade of grass, that something as "shocking" as a male Oriental dancer wouldn't receive negative retorts.

I suppose in the snide critics state, ignorance is bliss, and their downfall.

Many congrads on defending yourself.

I'm not brave enough to light it up. I have this immage in my mind of it sliding off my head while I'm down on the floor rolling over and burning a hole in my Butt......NO SMART REMARKS:mad:

Tarik maybe you can start a new Oriental Dance subgenre, "Dance of the Flaming Pants". Of course I couldn't resist!:lol:
Yasmine

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I'm no fan of YouTube, bad video quality, and casting pearls before swine as far as I'm concerned.

This said, Tarik - what you did was pure elegance and utter class. And your heartfelt comments come through your beautiful eyes. And if "they" don't "get it" after that - screw 'em!

Good on you, and YOU GO DUDE!!

Last edited:

Tarik Sultan

I'm no fan of YouTube, bad video quality, and casting pearls before swine as far as I'm concerned.

This said, Tarik - what you did was pure elegance and utter class. And your heartfelt comments come through your beautiful eyes. And if "they" don't "get it" after that - screw 'em!

Good on you, and YOU GO DUDE!!

:think: ....Gee do I have too? Why do I always have to screw em?!:(