Heel Spurs...

Salma Parvaneh

Hi there!

I stopped dancing 2 years ago because I have got two heel spurs in one foot. There are days when I even can not lay in bed. It hurts so very much. I cannot walk or dance, and even swimming does not work (it s ok as long as I am in the water, but when I climb out, it's even worser than before).

All therapies did not work. Now my doctors think about operation but they are not sure which kind (cut and remove, by x-ray.....).

Finally I wanna dance!

Does anybody has got an idea about this? Anybody who did not dance for a long time and re-started? How to do this all?

Thank you so much for your help and kind regards,
Salma

Daimona

Welcome back, Salma!

First of all, after a long hiatus you need to start from the beginning. Do everything in a slow pace and don't rush it. Your mind and body recognize what it is supposed to be, feel like or look like, but you need to build up your muscles and stamina again. Because of this you also need to focus on doing the moves correctly to avoid new injuries.

I guess any standing on your heel (at least until doctor says it is ok) is out of the question.
Are there anything you can do without putting weight and strain on your heel?

If possible, some ideas could be:
Practice upper body work and arms when sitting on a chair.
Practice lower body work when submitted in water, beside the water will give extra resistance.

Wish you a good and healthy recovery and that everything will be sorted out soon so you can dance on.

Last edited:

allinorah

Daimona gave some great advice!

I would definitely listen to all the options your docs give you. Surgery is scary, but so is not being able to do what you love. I had to have carpal tunnel surgery on my dominant/right hand (of course) and I am SOOO thankful I had it done. My other hand has decided to act up too and I am myself quite scared about it, but I trust the docs (same ones I had with my right hand). During that same summer, my class was working on zills and I had to do it all left handed, which got awkward. I had to redo everything, but slowly. Doing everything slowly was perhaps the most frustrating part of the whole situation. My family was all out picking veggies to sell at the markets and I did the best I could picking tomatoes with my left hand while I had the energy. Physical therapy was very helpful and I'm glad I had it because it increased my mobility.

I wish you the best of luck with this. Foot pain of any kind is no fun. I have plantar fasciitis and it is no where near as bad as your foot issue, but I do have my days when simply getting out of bed is extremely painful.

Basically: Start slow! Get awesome at zills! Good luck!

Salma Parvaneh

Thanks for your answers!

It encourages me much!

I simply started do dance fixed on one point on the floor and did not do any steps or combos. I m happy that hip-,belly-and armwork was like ususal.

The next day I started to move a little bit. Dancing/walking on tiptoes works quite great, but when I do steps like "Siwa" it still hurts much.

I missed dancing soooooo!

In 6 weeks I will have my first gig after all those months. I think about a dance wtih less leg work.

On monday I will see my doctor again and I am curious about his ideas.

Happy to be back again! :)

KR
Salma