Harem pants

Status
Not open for further replies.

miss_shimmy

does anyone here like to dance in harem pants?I see them on some dancers and think they look beautiful:)

miss shimmy
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Moon

I danced in one on my performance (we had to). I borrowed it so it was not exactly my size and it was a very warm one. I think they look quite nice and they're comfortable but at this moment I prefer skirts. :)

miss_shimmy

for me

hi all:)

thankx for your feedback,i have some coming for my upcoming performance.
also I have a big chest!!So I have a velvet indian bellytop to go with them,then my hip scarf and veil.

I want to be comfortable and confident.

I have seen one dancer perform in them,so I feel good about it.
the skirts look amazing,though i have a bit more weight loss to go before i can wear one!!

:)

amanda
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Safran

Hey all! I have also always preferred skirts for performances. I like the effect that the edge of the skirt gives when moving. But recently the advanced students of my previous studio made dark red/gold costumes with harem pants+bra and a net dress with a narrow square scarf over it. And it looked really good... and much more convenient, when it comes to windy outdoor performances ;)

Moon

I wonder where the harem pants originated? I haven't seen a lot of dancers from the middle east or North Africa performing, only 2 performances for tourists (1 in Turkey and 1 in Tunisia) and none of those dancers wore harem pants.

Shanazel

I wear harem pants under my skirts for a performance. I only wear them alone for class, and then only if I am taking the class and not teaching it.

Norma

I've worn harem pants in a performance once--with a hip scarf. I like them fine, but I don't like this "one size fits all" thing you usually get with them. The pants I have are okay, but really I'd like them to be about three inches shorter. But they only had the one size in that color.

da Sage

I wonder where the harem pants originated? I haven't seen a lot of dancers from the middle east or North Africa performing, only 2 performances for tourists (1 in Turkey and 1 in Tunisia) and none of those dancers wore harem pants.

I believe they were normal 18th and 19th century wear for both sexes in Turkey, and possible elsewhere. So they are one of the few "authentic" costume elements in modern bellydance costuming.

Selkie

At a belly dance show I saw a few weeks ago, there was a lovely floorwork/sword-balancing number that was performed in harem pants (liquid metal fabric, very striking!) They looked very good and very comfortable, and they had an advantage -- they hid the dancers' dance kneepads! :D

Salome

Administrator
I used to wear pants under my skirts when I was younger. I moved onto a different costuming style eventually and I have not worn a pair in an age. Though I do have a pretty Turkish bedlah that would look nice with just pants (makes floorwork a breeze too).

Safran

I've worn harem pants in a performance once--with a hip scarf. I like them fine, but I don't like this "one size fits all" thing you usually get with them. The pants I have are okay, but really I'd like them to be about three inches shorter. But they only had the one size in that color.

Hi Norma,

I don't know how well you get along with your sewing machine, but harem pants are supposed to be rather easy to make yourself... So you you can take care of those extra three inches :) You can find nice instructions on Shira's webpage by the Costume Goddess:

http://www.shira.net/cg/harempants.htm

Norma

Ugh...I don't get along with a sewing machine at all. Learning to sew is on my list of things to do. I have a friend who says she'll teach me to make some harem pants and you're right--she says they're easy.

Safran

Norma - there's a little secret... I can't sew either! :D But back when I started dancing I was so overwhelmed, so I figured I could just make my own harem pants for wearing in class. That is how easy the instructions seemed... Had it all prepared, and even talked a more knowledgable friend into supervising me. But never actually got to sewing. But I still think harem pants are one of the smaller challenges in costume-making ;)

So, good luck, and when you've mastered it, let us know... Maybe I'll get encouraged and search out the patterns myself again.:cool:

Erina

I have never tried wearing them yet, however, guess what- Im going to make some!
Im really excited and I am going to buy the materials today; I have been planning it for several days now. I have never made my own costumes or made anything before (except at school, when I had to sew pictures on to a tye-dyed cloth and we called it a flag :p ).

I will get pictures on if I manage to make them :D

PhysicsFairy

Harem Pants - the length

hi - I hope some sees this post and responds.

I've just made myself my first pair of harem pants (using the patterns that you all suggested on this forum) and I decided to make a mock-up in muslin to make sure I had my dimensions right. These are to under my skirt in a tribal costume.

Now, I was wondering, how much over the foot should the bottom of the pants balloon? I showed my housemate, who thought they were too long, she didn't even realise I had put in the elastic in the bottom! I think she's used to seeing the Indian style of harem pants that are worn in an everyday way, because she recommended they be shorter.

For dancing, I don't think they are too long. The bottom of the pants fall maybe another 10-12 cm (that's I think 4-5 inches) over my foot from the elastic. Is that too long?

I hope my rambling has made sense.

Thanks!
Olenka

Status
Not open for further replies.