Hairstyles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
There are those that think one should not have long hair if one is over 35, but I just think that is silly. As my hair is growing I am loving my hair and I plan on keeping it, including when I round 40 and 50 and 60 and so on.

Humpf! And I grew mine out at age 38, and I love it. When I took up Belly Dancing at age 40, I had long hair to swirl about!

Shanazel

My husband grew a ponytail and got his first pair of sandals when he was in his late forties. He was always a hippie, but took a while to get some of the trimmings. Norwegian from North Dakota, and uf da! them guys is conservative even when they're hippies, ja you betcha.:)

Nat242

Whenever I picture myself as woman in her 70s and 80s it's always with waist length grey hair, wearing strings of beads and a hemp t-shirt. I think it is because I grew up thinking there was some kind of law that older women had to have short, short hair and be ultra conservative. I was born a hippie, I'm at uni to become a professional hippie, and I'll die a hippie!

I had very short hair as a teenager, and I still love that old spunky hair style. I decided to grow it once I started dancing, and I plan on getting it very long. I love the femininity of a woman with long hair ( I also love long hair and beards on a man - so now my partner's mum gets annoyed with me for not getting my man to trim his beard or get a haircut :lol:).

Plus, people in the past have described me as 'masculine'...not due to my appearance, I think(!) but because I am strong, opinionated, confident, and assertive, usually. I'm not saying that those are 'masculine' traits, of course, but there are some people out there that make that association. I like having long hair, because it means I don't fit into their stereotyped box as well. :dance: :rolleyes:

I still sometimes want to ask a woman with a fantastic, short and spunky hair style who her hairstylist is!!

Last edited:

Farasha Hanem

My hair is very long, too, and I love to wear it down when I dance. Most of the time I pull it back in front, but let it flow in back. My husband says it's another "veil"!

:lol::D:lol: Yes, I've noticed my husband getting a little irritated lately in bed. We cuddle spoon-style, and since it's been so hot, we keep a fan running at night, which causes my ultra-wild, curly-frizzy hair to blow up his nose...:lol: But I think he likes my hair long. I cut my own hair ultra-short in my late 30's, and it was fun for a while, but it was waaay too high-maintenance to keep up with. My hair grows fast, so in less than two weeks, a cute sassy 'do starts looking bushy. Plus, I missed my long hair, so I grew it back out.

I love Garnier Fructis' line of hair-care products; they protect my hair well, and makes it smell nice. :)

Kharmine

Whenever I picture myself as woman in her 70s and 80s it's always with waist length grey hair, wearing strings of beads and a hemp t-shirt. I think it is because I grew up thinking there was some kind of law that older women had to have short, short hair and be ultra conservative. I was born a hippie, I'm at uni to become a professional hippie, and I'll die a hippie!...

Ah, you know what they say: Men grow more conservative with age, women more outrageous. Or something like that.

The spousal unit (I say affectionately) has pleaded for me to keep the mane waist-length, and let it go grey, too. So I find myself checking out other women who are going fabulously grey and noting what I like about how they're wearing their hair. No blue-tinted poodle cuts for moi!

I have a vision of myself swirling around with a sword poised on my long white mane!

Shanazel

My own spousal unit thinks the sexiest thing on earth is an older woman with streaks of gray in her long hair. My hair is long but has no gray in it despite my over the hill place in life. D'ya suppose my hairdresser would faint if I asked him to streak my hair with gray?:think:

adiemus

Ah, you know what they say: Men grow more conservative with age, women more outrageous. Or something like that.
I think I need to find me a man who is getting more conservative!! Mine says 'do what you want with your hair' but then cringes at the cost everytime I go to the hairstylist!!

My hair is fine, curly, lots of it and definitely going grey. I dream of having thick, straight, white hair... but when you don't have it yourself, there are always wigs!!! I have three!

There is no need to wear loose as this won't give any change to you. I think long hairstyles give a good attraction and they will show you the way that you would like to look.

Any other short haired dancers out there? What do you do with it for performances?

Yes, I'm a crop-top too. I danced flamenco before I danced belly dance, and struggled for ages with long hair - which didn't suit me and was a lot of work! In the end, I decided it was crazy to be unhappy with my hair all week, for the sake of the one or two hours a week I was performing. So I cut it all off, and bought a fake bun.

A bun is traditional for flamenco but it's too severe for belly dancing. I also found a hairpiece didn't really work because there's too much head movement - it bounces and looks really fake. So I've now bought a full wig in my natural colour. It can be a bit hot, but no worse than a hairpiece plus the big scarf/headband I had to wear to cover the join.

You can get wigs quite cheaply on eBay - I have some listed on my website.

jenc

My natural colour is grey. Don't konw what colour wuold suit me now. Probably not the dark brown i THINK my hair used to be!

Nur Al Leyali

I like my hair any way that I see fit. I love the big flower look with flowing dresses , I love the long haired look with romantic styles, I love the braided look with folkloric dancing, I love the buns thing with flowers or tribal headdress I mean I am not critical And neither should you be, Become your dance become what you are putting out. Are you the flower in the desert? Are you the forbidden fruit? Are you a Goddess? Are you from a time long ago? Are you mysterious ? Are you a snake incarnate? Become your dance and make the dicision according to how you feel and what you are putting out in that dance ,,, There are no mistakes really. Just Have A Good Time.

I want to change my hairstyle. I am getting bore with my present hairstyle. I have short hair and i want to make long wavy hair. Any suggestions please.

divinemsp

I try to have my hair go with my costume if possible.

I think there is nothing worse than someone in a gorgeous costume and dancing well but they ruin it by wearing fuzzy permed old lady hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.