Flipping hair while performing

Belly Love

I have a question for you hair flippers! When I see this done during BD, it's usually a drastic swirling of the neck & head. Is this specifically the way it's supposed to be done and/or is it specific to a certain style of BD?

Sometimes hair flipping techniques take time to learn and I tend to do it more subtly, but if there is a proper way to do it for BD, I would like to know!

Nejmeh

I am no expert but I was corrected not so long ago for being too drastic Having been to many metal and punk concerts somewhat made me headbangie and 'too heavy'. That would be bad for the neck(which I believe)

Eshta

I have really heavy hair so avoid much head flipping as it always hurts my neck. Plus

Sara Farouk said something that definitely helped: she said (in the context of khaleegi) that the movement really comes from the chest and let your hair follow. In her typical way of explaining things, she said the chest movement was kind of like when you go to vomit, hahaha, she does make me laugh! But seriously, that does help if you don't whip your neck around so much and let your head follow your body.

Gia al Qamar

While the Khaleeji movements do come from the chest, the hair 'spinning' is created by allowing the neck to rotate around in a way that it is not meant to do. I have seen the movement done in theatrical presentations of Khaleeji and Zar (both Egyptian)
Not only have I heard of dancers who've gravely been injured by performing this, but also one who had a stroke after because one her neck arteries had been compromised.
My advice is the same as for the Turkish drop...is it worth the risk of permanent injury to perform ONE movement that isn't necessary to the dance?

Greek Bonfire

While I do hair tosses occasionally, I learned how to do it correctly. But as Gia said, it can be injurious. It is a dramatic move and looks great but lot of dancers never do it and they are still admired for being great dancers.

Farasha Hanem

I do agree. My teacher is a former physical therapist; she doesn't even allow us to slowly rotate our heads around when warming up. Any movement done with the neck on any dance is limited, and she makes sure we do them carefully and correctly..

Khaleegy was the only style I could think of that involves tossing your hair around, but it's not a style I personally am interested in getting into, myself.

Amulya

A do some kind of hair flip while turning, not sure how to explain this. And very rarely where I make a figure 8 is that is understandable? That is done with the neck but not extremely fast, otherwise I'd hurt my neck.

Belly Love

A do some kind of hair flip while turning, not sure how to explain this. And very rarely where I make a figure 8 is that is understandable? That is done with the neck but not extremely fast, otherwise I'd hurt my neck.

Yes. And like you mentioned, I don't see the flipping done continuously throughout the dances, just kind of here and there.

Khaleeji- I looked at a clip of it on the link that Farasha posted- definitely not my style! Lots of hair flipping though...

Thanks for all of the input ladies- I gather that when I see this done, it just happens to be the way that particular dancer does it (maybe that's just the way she learned it or she's influenced by other styles).

I think I'm going to stick to the subtle way I do it- I don't want to hurt myself :D

Gia- I want to learn the Turkish drop!!! I love how Rachel Brice does it. I can bend back pretty far, but I can't even pose in the landing position on the ground- maybe I need to start taking yoga :)

Gia al Qamar

The bridge in yoga will help with the Turkish drop. I think the hardest part is learning to fall!

The hardest part is learning not to fall at all but to control a descent to the floor using your muscles. Aside from being dangerous to your general well being, you can easily blow out your knees and...Rachel Brice told me that she'd done some major damage to her feet by doing that move repeatedly...:naghty:

Outi

I do both Khalegy-hair(s) and hair things in normal oriental performances. Usually more subtile accsents than let everything go rampage.

You can do many things with your hair, but as the others have said, be careful.
You need to know how to use the muscles correctlt and support your head. You also need to strenghten the muscles to to be able to do these things safely. Instead if thinking chest, I prefer to think more my back as the origin and tha base of the head/hear movements. That's where all the muscles are (I think).

Outi

MissVega

I am a hair flipper/tosser, head roller etc. Although I don't teach these in class and have only taught two other dancers who were already pro dancers and had prior experience.

To me the most important things are to be properly warmed up and stretched and to be completely RELAXED. Any tension in the head, neck, shoulders, back etc can predispose you to injury. I'm 26 too and lived on a farm all my life so I have been pretty active and have an okay level of fitness. It is like any other movement in that you can`t just get up and expect to do it like you`ve seen it being done. You have to build up to it if you want to do it safely. Slow and steady wins the race, there is never any rush to learn a move. Take your time and enjoy the learning experience and process. Also don`t feel pressure to do moves like that. They aren`t required by any means, I consider them a personal `flourish`.If you want the look of tossing hair you can always just use your hands to flick, toss, and play with your hair:)

Here is an example of head and hair tossing that I do. This is a caribbean move called dutty whine. It is a big head roll layered with `butterflying`the legs, while lifting the butt. It starts at 5:09.
YouTube - Cassandra Fox's Caribbean Fusion Solo at Mayada's Student Showcase in Toronto

Belly Love

Yes, I'm taking the advice of some of you and definitely stretching more.

MissVega- Omgosh, that fusion dance was sooo cute! You move so well :)

Well the Babybliss girls amaze me with their hair tossing!
I organised a performance for the Destination Show at Earls Court and chose them because they are so brilliant.
I personally do it from time to time too but keep it gentle.

Aurora Bellydance

Maysoon

"I whip my hair back and forth"
"I whip my hair back and forth"
OOops just having a Willow Smith moment.....LOL!!!