Fifi

Shanazel

Thank you for posting these cane dances- I am particularly interested in them right now. I liked this one of Fifi. She does a lot of twirling the cane to the back, which the two teachers I had for saiidi said was a no-no; too much like Charlie Chaplin and the litle tramp, one said, so twirl it forward. Anyone else ever heard this? I also wonder why she bothered to toss her cane aside at the last second. Perhaps so she didn't have to carry it to the panel table?

Suheir

Well, Yousry Sharif's Saidi choreographies feature both forward and backward twirling and he's a top Egyptian choreographer.

Shanazel

That's good to know, Suheir- thank you. I wonder if my teacher objected to backward twirls because the image of The Little Tramp twirling his cane is so familiar in the US that it is a cliche here.

Hi Shanzel, It's funny how teacher's biases can lead to misunderstanding. However, most assaya performances I've seen feature a forward twirl with a back twirl as an accent. But did you like Fifi's costume? You've mentioned costuming ideas for your assaya routine. Do you think something like that wolud work for you?
Now back to Fifi, I love her assaya style, but is it Baladi or Saidi style?
Yasmine

Aniseteph

Backwards v.forwards twirl

Is it just me? IMO if people are watching you and being reminded of Charlie Chaplin you are doing something a bit more wrong than twirling your cane in the wrong direction.
Unless of course you are doing Hollywood Silent Movie-bellydance fusion...

Shanazel

Is it just me? IMO if people are watching you and being reminded of Charlie Chaplin you are doing something a bit more wrong than twirling your cane in the wrong direction.
Unless of course you are doing Hollywood Silent Movie-bellydance fusion...

:lol: :lol: . Oh, I just got the most wonderful mental picture of a dancer in tuxedo bedlah with a cute little mustache and a penguin walk... I shall now twirl happily in all directions and make sure I don't do any trampy things in the meantime.

Yasmine, I loved Fifi's costume, especially the color,and I adore her dancing. I'm not sure a similar costume would work on me- I am a bit busty and the looseness of the top of the dress would make my upper body look like a box. If I added some seams to take in the looseness around the midriff ... Oh, the woes of being short waisted and full busted.

What are your thoughts on whether it is baladi or Saidi? I would tend to say baladi, but don't have enough specialized knowledge to offer a worthwhile opinion. All educational essays will be read with great interest.

Last edited:

Gabi

:lol: :lol: . Oh, I just got the most wonderful mental picture of a dancer in tuxedo bedlah with a cute little mustache and a penguin walk... .

:dance: :lol: Hey - Dina did that, without the mustach, I presume :think: .

I do love Fifi but I have to admit there where moments I thought she was gonna konk someone with that thing.

taheya

Hi Shanazel i think it is saidi style the music is very distinctive and it is upbeat and fast. I think baladi usually starts slow then picks up momentum.

chryssanthi sahar

Ladies, this is definitely a Saidi. Not only the rhythm is very very clear Saidi, they even sing "Yalla Saidi, yalla Saidi":D . Besides this, Raqs el Assaya is almost always danced on Saidi rhythm. You will hardly see an Egyptian dancer dances with the cane on Baladi rhythm. But I think Lebanese dancers dance Assaya also with Baladi and Dabke.

Shanazel

Thank you! I watch these videos without music, having no speakers on this particular computer, which makes for a rather surreal experience at times. Silent dance.